Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 AM

7 posts, read 5,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The US wasn't highest on our agenda back then anyway (India was).
US independence was a good thing for the English speaking world including the spread of the common law system.

By removing close by temperate and fertile colonies from the necessity of support allowed more attention to be paid to places like India, less temperate colonies in Canada, and eventually far off places like Australia and China. India was at the time still mostly in the "outpost" phase, not yet controlled by Great Britain, control was gained over several decades following American independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think they feel sympathetic to us now because of the whacko religious influence, the poor social support and the lack of intellectuals and out and out war-mongering.
What impacts of the "whacko religious influence" on our society do you believe would engender sympathy?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
It's a good day to watch some tennis?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I really can't see the average Brit caring or thinking much about July 4th based on stuff that happened 200 years ago. America is not the sun you know! I don't live in the US and was out last night and heard fireworks coming from the direction of the American embassy. My companions and I were genuinely puzzled for a while wondering what the occasion was.
Are you American?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The Brits on the board could have fun with this but instead it is getting people pissed. Such is life on CD.
Such is life on the Politics and other Controversies forum because people come here specifically looking to fight.

Anyhow, the Queen on American Independence, when she visited for the 200th Independence day.

1776-1976 Queen Elizabeth Toasted on July 4th Bicentennial - YouTube

I speak to you as the direct descendant of King George III. He was the last Crowned Sovereign to rule in this country, and it is therefore with a particular personal interest that I view those events which took place 200 years ago.

It seems to me that Independence Day, the Fourth of July, should be celebrated as much in Britain as in America. Not in rejoicing at the separation of the American Colonies from the British Crown but in sincere gratitude to the Founding Fathers of this great Republic for having taught Britain a very valuable lesson.

We lost the American colonies because we lacked that statesmanship “to know the right time, and the manner of yielding, what is impossible to keep.”

But the lesson was learned. In the next century and a half we kept more closely to the principles of Magna Carta which have been the common heritage of both our countries.

We learned to respect the right of others to govern themselves in their own ways. This was the outcome of experience learned the hard way in 1776. Without that great act in the cause of liberty performed in Independence Hall two hundred years ago, we could never have transformed an Empire into a Commonwealth!

Ultimately peace brought a renewal of friendship which has continued and grown over the years and has played a vital part in world affairs. Together we have fought in two world wars in the defence of our common heritage of freedom. Together we have striven to keep the peace so dearly won. Together, as friends and allies, we can face the uncertainties of the future, and this is something for which we in Britain can also celebrate the Fourth of July.

This morning I saw the famous Liberty Bell. It came here over 200 years ago when Philadelphia, after London, was the largest English speaking city in the world. It was cast to commemorate the Pennsylvania Charter of Privileges, but is better known for its association with the Declaration of Independence.

Today, to mark the 200th anniversary of that declaration, it gives me the greatest pleasure, on behalf of the British people, to present a new bell to the people of the United States of America. It comes from the same foundry as the Liberty Bell, but written on the side of the Bicentennial Bell are the words “Let Freedom Ring”.

It is a message in which both our people can join and which I hope will be heard around the world for centuries to come.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
They were important enough to fight a bloody eight year war over.
At the time, absolutely. We constituted half the empire at the time--much of which was taken from France at a bloody cost to the British. What I'm saying is that few Brits care about our Revolution now because they went on to conquer 1/4 of the world. Kind of like a massive consolation prize. (maybe not the greatest comparison, but oh well) When you get that much control over the world's land and resources, losing 13 colonies 50 years earlier doesn't seem like such a bad blow, like a big bump on the road to greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Losing the war in US was an embarrassing defeat to England, and to say it was not important is an outright lie.
Are you accusing me of lying? Why don't you assume I'm mistaken instead of calling people liars? Chill out.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Probably the same way we think of Cinco de Mayo. Just another excuse to party.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
I would imagine that they give it no thought at all.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Funny, I end up in London almost every 4 July.
Considering your apparent hatred for America as demonstrated by most of your posts - maybe you should consider staying in London next year.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What!

It was over 200 years ago!!!!

MYGAWD! How long do YOU hold a grudge!

I'm sorry but that is such a ridiculous assumption....

Ya know , the Brits have been through a few more wars since then.....they had it much worse than we can imagine...I don't think they dwell on an event that took place over 200 years ago in the US...
Assumption? What assumption did I make? I ASKED A QUESTION - and some of the Brits on the forum have been kind of enough to answer it.

What is your problem? Everytime you respond to one of my posts it seems like you are going to blow a ventricle - and this is a much less controversial topic then stuff you usually are upset at me about.

Grudge? What grudge would I have - my country won -lol?

Chill out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies