Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Your strongest ally's biggest party is based on a war that was lost by you. It's not crazy to ask them how they feel about it.

The Brits on the board could have fun with this but instead it is getting people pissed. Such is life on CD.
Exactly - I asked the question out of both curiosity and to start a less serious thread that could become somewhat fun - however the Brits don't seem to be getting mad - on the contrary they have answered very straightforwardly - and I say to them - thank you.

Just crazy American leftists like chiel and who whom are getting pissed off - but that is to expected - liberals are always angry about something - they should become conservatives - and they will likely live longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
What Do British people think about the 4th of July?
Another excuse to drink beer.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Probably the same way we think of Cinco de Mayo. Just another excuse to party.
That would be another question - what do the French think about Cinco de Mayo?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I don't think modern day English people really give a rip about it.

I suppose it would be an excuse to throw a party... as others have said.

It was actually a big deal back then to the English, I was just watching some shows regarding the American Revolution.

It was a major embarrassment for the British, they got their asses handed to them by a bunch of **** ants as they viewed the leaders of the revolt against the crown. They were, at the time, the world greatest superpower, so to be beaten by smallish colony... well you do the math.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't think modern day English people really give a rip about it.

I suppose it would be an excuse to throw a party... as others have said.

It was actually a big deal back then to the English, I was just watching some shows regarding the American Revolution.

It was a major embarrassment for the British, they got their asses handed to them by a bunch of **** ants as they viewed the leaders of the revolt against the crown. They were, at the time, the world greatest superpower, so to be beaten by smallish colony... well you do the math.

Just a few comments ....

First, for Americans, the 4th July marks a seminal moment in our history. For Brits, it marks a speed bump in their rise to empire. In the British consciousness, it is no more important than the Boer War.

Second, at the time, the majority of Brits will have had no idea it had happened. Only the governing classes would have known.

Third, Britain was not the 'greatest superpower' at the time. Success in the Seven Years War was built on naval strength and the weakness of France. British strategy was, and continued to be, reliance on a very strong fleet but with a small army. Because of this, where strong land forces were required, Britain was generally unable to intervene decisively. Even in the Napoleonic wars, Britain continued to rely on naval operations and success at the Battle of Waterloo only happened due to the arrival of the Prussian army late in the day. If Britain had a strong and large army at the time then history might have been very different.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM

380 posts, read 376,928 times
Maybe we'll get a feel for how the British reacted at the time when Scotland leaves the Union.

Wondered about this too. Thanks OP for posting the thread.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Just a few comments ....

First, for Americans, the 4th July marks a seminal moment in our history. For Brits, it marks a speed bump in their rise to empire. In the British consciousness, it is no more important than the Boer War.

Second, at the time, the majority of Brits will have had no idea it had happened. Only the governing classes would have known.

Third, Britain was not the 'greatest superpower' at the time. Success in the Seven Years War was built on naval strength and the weakness of France. British strategy was, and continued to be, reliance on a very strong fleet but with a small army. Because of this, where strong land forces were required, Britain was generally unable to intervene decisively. Even in the Napoleonic wars, Britain continued to rely on naval operations and success at the Battle of Waterloo only happened due to the arrival of the Prussian army late in the day. If Britain had a strong and large army at the time then history might have been very different.
I disagree on the only the governing classes would have known, news travels via word of mouth very quickly.

I also disagree that the Brits not being a world superpower at the time.

Yes, the Brits were very heavy on the Naval operations, in addtion to your comments about land wars, that is part of the reason that America was sucessful, was the fact that the British had to send supplies clear across the ocean, making a long term war largely unwinable...

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
I suppose they think it is a day that falls between the third and the fifth of July. The holiday to which you refer is Independence Day, not the 4th of July. the 4th of July is a date.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Just a few comments ....

I agree with most of what you said here, but honestly Wellington his version of the British army had more to do in Europe than you give credit. He beat the French, step by step out of Spain and drove Napolian into excile before Waterloo.

Now Waterloo was far more "nip and tuck" than a lot of people know but even without the Prussians, it is not a forgone conclusion that Wellington was lost. The arrival of the Prussians was a back breaker for sure.

It is interesting that in a recent poll Brits named George Washington their greatest enemy commander

George Washington voted Britain's greatest enemy commander - Yahoo! News

Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know and don't care.
And yet here you are, spending your precious time talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Brits tend to actually have a life.
...says the guy with an average of more than seven posts per day - just on this forum - for four and a half years running.

If your implication is that Americans don't have lives, I would say that you're just projecting how you feel about yourself onto the rest of the country. I, for one, certainly don't feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies