Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The English today and the English in that era are completely different. People back then were "loyal" to the throne and all that jazz. After England switched over to a parliamentary government from an absolute monarchy due to uprisings and a consciousness in class differences, I don't think people really saw themselves as British subjects any longer.
The role and importance of the British monarch has changed over the centuries. Parliamentary government in the UK really came in with Cromwell in the 17th century. It was reaffirmed when James II was thrown out in 1690 (Glorious Revolution) and William of Orange invited to take the throne. By the time of George III, although the monarchy remained important, the supremacy of parliament was already well established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't think Britain really cared about US expansion to the Pacific. At the time they were too busy carving up Africa and Asia. Also, the British economy was pre-eminent and they were basking in the warmth of the Victorian imperial glow.

That said, Britain did care about the Civil War although not enough to intervene. The dependence of the Lancashire cotton industry on US cotton was significant at the time.
I am pretty sure they knew they couldn't do anything about that overspread so they stayed busy with their taking over people who wouldn't be able to fight like the Americans had proved they could and would.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Maybe that poster considers the Revolutionary War as just an extension of the Seven Years War - that type of thinking is a stretch - but I wouldn't put it past the liberal textbook writers to suggest that the American victory was nothing unique.
I really wonder how much the progressives are even writing into text books these days. I saw too much of their influence in the new books of the 80s before I left teaching. It was just not very nice. I keep remembering one specific book that I couldn't stand and that was in the early 80s.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My daughter celebrated with bunch of Brits tonight, here in the USA. They like to party.
I agree! when I was in Scotland for foreign exchange, they threw me and the other exchange students, a big party...minus fireworks. We did have horns and paper hats...

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't think modern day English people really give a rip about it.

I suppose it would be an excuse to throw a party... as others have said.

It was actually a big deal back then to the English, I was just watching some shows regarding the American Revolution.

It was a major embarrassment for the British, they got their asses handed to them by a bunch of **** ants as they viewed the leaders of the revolt against the crown. They were, at the time, the world greatest superpower, so to be beaten by smallish colony... well you do the math.

Oh crap I gotta jump on here: "what do you think about having your asses handed to you by a bunch of *****ants during the war of 1812." A country evolving into an orgainized militia bastion to be beaten by a bunch of Indians, Brits and Beaver trappers; oh my goodness, well, you do the math.

Sheesh; the Brits probably give this the same signifigance Canada gives burning your Whitehouse and half the city of Washington. A great weekend but hey, better ones came along. We don't even bother to commemorate it as a National stat day.

I suspect the Brits got over the loss just as you folks did; you built a Whitehouse copy.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am pretty sure they knew they couldn't do anything about that overspread so they stayed busy with their taking over people who wouldn't be able to fight like the Americans had proved they could and would.
I think that you are overstating the extent to which Britain cared about the USA in the 19th century.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That would be another question - what do the French think about Cinco de Mayo?
I think, (I'm not French) Cinco de Mayo should be celebrated in Mexico, not the USA!!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,619 times
The Brits re-invaded us with totally awesome rock'n roll. Now it's even...

Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Here's one perspective of the UK. Don't get angry but there is a lot of truth in it. The Brits really had to deal with a lot of greedy criminals over here who didn't want to pay their fair share of what the Brits were providing.

Kind of like republicans.

American Loyalists

Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
The British don't care.

Great Britain is a case study for Arrogance!
What arrogance? I find them extremely nice and friendly, more so than here, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies