Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,606 times

Advertisements

It comes after the 3rd of July and before the 5th of July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
This. 99.9% of British people don't care about the War of Independence at all and a lot have probably never even heard of it - it's a small footnote in our history.
That footnote part of your post fits very well here in the states. I doubt that 70% of our people even know about the war and why it was fought.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM

I suppose it was just the war we lost to the French.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
At the time, absolutely. We constituted half the empire at the time--much of which was taken from France at a bloody cost to the British. What I'm saying is that few Brits care about our Revolution now because they went on to conquer 1/4 of the world. Kind of like a massive consolation prize. (maybe not the greatest comparison, but oh well) When you get that much control over the world's land and resources, losing 13 colonies 50 years earlier doesn't seem like such a bad blow, like a big bump on the road to greatness.

Are you accusing me of lying? Why don't you assume I'm mistaken instead of calling people liars? Chill out.
During the 50 years you talk about the US expanded to the Pacific which was quite a diastase and I bet some of the British realized what a mistake allowing them to leave even with a war was a mistake. Of course, at the time of the end of the war they didn't even know how far west those 13 colonies extended, did they?

I think their attitude today may be a bit different than back then but then we did quite a lot to keep the islands free in the 20th century.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I suppose it was just the war we lost to the French.
Lost to the French? I guess you must get your knowledge of that war from one of the newer history books written by progressives to change the real story. The French did send a mini-fleet to the colonies to keep the British from landing another army in virginia but their paltry number, (about 5500) of troops didn't do a lot about the surrender of the British. It was colonists who did the killing and got killed. Of course, I get my information from books written before the revisionist progressives were even around.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Considering your apparent hatred for America as demonstrated by most of your posts - maybe you should consider staying in London next year.
She won't. She likes punishing herself by staying in a place where she hates the way we do almost everything and where most of the people don't agree with her.

I've suggested China as well. Won't happen.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
During the 50 years you talk about the US expanded to the Pacific which was quite a diastase and I bet some of the British realized what a mistake allowing them to leave even with a war was a mistake. Of course, at the time of the end of the war they didn't even know how far west those 13 colonies extended, did they?

I think their attitude today may be a bit different than back then but then we did quite a lot to keep the islands free in the 20th century.
I don't think Britain really cared about US expansion to the Pacific. At the time they were too busy carving up Africa and Asia. Also, the British economy was pre-eminent and they were basking in the warmth of the Victorian imperial glow.

That said, Britain did care about the Civil War although not enough to intervene. The dependence of the Lancashire cotton industry on US cotton was significant at the time.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Lost to the French? I guess you must get your knowledge of that war from one of the newer history books written by progressives to change the real story. The French did send a mini-fleet to the colonies to keep the British from landing another army in virginia but their paltry number, (about 5500) of troops didn't do a lot about the surrender of the British. It was colonists who did the killing and got killed. Of course, I get my information from books written before the revisionist progressives were even around.
Sarcasm? I don't really care frankly.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Maybe that poster considers the Revolutionary War as just an extension of the Seven Years War - that type of thinking is a stretch - but I wouldn't put it past the liberal textbook writers to suggest that the American victory was nothing unique.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
The English today and the English in that era are completely different. People back then were "loyal" to the throne and all that jazz. After England switched over to a parliamentary government from an absolute monarchy due to uprisings and a consciousness in class differences, I don't think people really saw themselves as British subjects any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies