Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a silly question. Cubans are like every other group, some are assimilated, and some aren't. I've been to Miami many times, and there are parts of it that feel as if you've stepped into the middle of Havana. As far as i'm concerned, that's not a bad thing.

What does it matter anyway? As long as they go about their business, i don't care about whether anyone wants to assimilate or not.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is kind of a silly question. Cubans are like every other group, some are assimilated, and some aren't. I've been to Miami many times, and there are parts of it that feel as if you've stepped into the middle of Havana. As far as i'm concerned, that's not a bad thing.

What does it matter anyway? As long as they go about their business, i don't care about whether anyone wants to assimilate or not.
desertdetroiter? as I have stated Cubans do assimilate! I have neices & nephews who can't speak a "lick" of Spanish! Miami is a "immigrant" city (about 62% of the population is foreign born) so that leads to a complacency regarding language.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
desertdetroiter? as I have stated Cubans do assimilate! I have neices & nephews who can't speak a "lick" of Spanish! Miami is a "immigrant" city (about 62% of the population is foreign born) so that leads to a complacency regarding language.
Again, it doesn't matter to me whether they do or don't. Besides, what is assimilation anyway? You don't have to give up who you are to become an American. As long as you come here, work hard and follow the laws, why should anyone concern themselves with your assimilation? I mean, i have better things to do with my time.

Some of these folks act as if their European ancestors got off the boat and started speaking perfect English the next day. That's all bull. They were no different than the immigrants that land here today.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Miami is different in terms of business and commerce! It is a international city that has to deal with a population that mostly speaks Spanish hence why so many people say they feel like they are in a foreign nation when visiting.
Are Cubans more assimilated than other hispanics? As a Cuban American myself that is hard to say! I will ask why should I have to give up my heritage to placate the "average" American?
Isn't that what makes Americans so unique? Would you ask a Irish American to give up St. Patrick's Day or a Polish person in Chicago to deny their own heritage? How about a Jamaican giving up "jerk chicken"?
I'm very proud of who I am and am tired of just trying to be an "average" American!
Did I say that "different" is a bad thing? I love Miami. I think the Cuban influence is part of what makes Miami such an interesting place. I'm not asking you to give up your heritage. Of course Miami is an international city, and basically the gateway to South America.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Seems to me that Cubans are more in tune with 'traditional' American virtues than other Hispanics. There seems to me more of a focus on education and achievement, as opposed to Mexcians or Puerto Ricans for example. I've found that Cubans will focus on long term achievement for their kids, where as Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in America see their kids more as a family contributor who can supplement household income as they reach teen years. Are the Cubans at the top of the Hispanic pecking order?
No.

I don't put people in a "pecking order" of hispanic/latino hierarchy.

Why should anybody?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Miami is different in terms of business and commerce! It is a international city that has to deal with a population that mostly speaks Spanish hence why so many people say they feel like they are in a foreign nation when visiting.
Are Cubans more assimilated than other hispanics? As a Cuban American myself that is hard to say! I will ask why should I have to give up my heritage to placate the "average" American?
Isn't that what makes Americans so unique? Would you ask a Irish American to give up St. Patrick's Day or a Polish person in Chicago to deny their own heritage? How about a Jamaican giving up "jerk chicken"?
I'm very proud of who I am and am tired of just trying to be an "average" American!
I am a first generation Italian-American, probably a couple of decades older than you are. I never had to "try" to be an average American - I just was.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
I guess you and other Cuban-Americans don't know what assimilation means. It doesn't mean givng up one's native, heritage, culture and language per se. But assimiliation certainly isn't turning an entire city into something that resembles a foreign country either. It means adopting English as your primary language of usage out in mainstream. Your analogies don't cut it. St. Patricks is a one day public celebration. No comparison to the above. I have nothing against ethnic foods either or if someone chooses to make them a part of their daily diet. I reiterate, assimilation means using English the language of this nation out in mainstream. It doesn't mean changing an entire town to resemble a foreign country. Scattered ethnic business neighborhoods I consider to be something interesting to visit and enjoy cultural foods but not an entire large city being like that or where you rarely here our national language being spoken. What's wrong with being an average American? Why live here if you want to be something else?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
. Besides, what is assimilation anyway? .

When you who grew up in Miami that would answer the phone at work in 1985 and the person spoke english to you and how in 2005 when you answer the phone at work they speak spanish to you and are shocked if you don't.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:48 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,404 times
[quote=chicagonut;25105516]I guess you and other Cuban-Americans don't know what assimilation means. It doesn't mean givng up one's native, heritage, culture and language per se. But assimiliation certainly isn't turning an entire city into something that resembles a foreign country either. It means adopting English as your primary language of usage out in mainstream. Your analogies don't cut it. St. Patricks is a one day public celebration. No comparison to the above. I have nothing against ethnic foods either or if someone chooses to make them a part of their daily diet. I reiterate, assimilation means using English the language of this nation out in mainstream. It doesn't mean changing an entire town to resemble a foreign country. Scattered ethnic business neighborhoods I consider to be something interesting to visit and enjoy cultural foods but not an entire large city being like that or where you rarely here our national language being spoken. What's wrong with being an average American? Why live here if you want to be something else?[/quote]

Are you sure you don't want to replace "Average" with "Real" in the above quote? Looks like over half of Dade county is Hispanic and nearly half of that are non-citizens. What do you expect? A bunch of Swedes or Danes flocking to the gateway to the Carribean and South America?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
[quote=jeffrow1;25106610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I guess you and other Cuban-Americans don't know what assimilation means. It doesn't mean givng up one's native, heritage, culture and language per se. But assimiliation certainly isn't turning an entire city into something that resembles a foreign country either. It means adopting English as your primary language of usage out in mainstream. Your analogies don't cut it. St. Patricks is a one day public celebration. No comparison to the above. I have nothing against ethnic foods either or if someone chooses to make them a part of their daily diet. I reiterate, assimilation means using English the language of this nation out in mainstream. It doesn't mean changing an entire town to resemble a foreign country. Scattered ethnic business neighborhoods I consider to be something interesting to visit and enjoy cultural foods but not an entire large city being like that or where you rarely here our national language being spoken. What's wrong with being an average American? Why live here if you want to be something else?[/quote]

Are you sure you don't want to replace "Average" with "Real" in the above quote? Looks like over half of Dade county is Hispanic and nearly half of that are non-citizens. What do you expect? A bunch of Swedes or Danes flocking to the gateway to the Carribean and South America?
What do I expect? I expect to be able to call any government office in any S. Florida municipality and be understood when I ask a question in English. I expect the Direct TV repairman to be able to understand me when I explain what my problem is -and I expect to be able to understand him when he explains the solution. I expect to be waited on when I am in a department store, not ignored in favor of the customer who is Spanish speaking. In short, as an American living in an American city, I expect to be able to conduct activities of daily living in English. That is not possible in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies