Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 alum kid View Post
I can't believe people can just throw Joe under the bus after all the good he has done. If it wasn't for him PSU football wouldn't have become a power house. Sure, a few people may have been hurt along the way, but that happens in any business. There are always a few casualties along the way. Remeber all the good that he did and all the money he brought in as well.
Well, I'm glad to hear you're okay with your kids being raped as long as it's by outstanding pillars of the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know alumni. I know alumni who are very educated, very pro women's and children's rights. And they still defend that son of a motherless goat.

I just don't get it.

What a total piece of trash.
I love how some people get mad at people who refuse to question and follow blindly government figures.

But they themselves refuse to question and blindly follow a freakin' football coach.

Idiots.

I will not be saying a prayer for that ugly troll Paterno.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Football and money trump child rape and sexual molestation?

Unfortunately, Happy Valley (ie. State College, PA) is full of people who share your opinion, which I happen to think is despicable.
Sadly, I wish the guy were trolling but even if he was...there are fans out there that are honestly more concerned witht he teams recruits, ranking, bowl games etc. than if some kids are being molested to get them there.

It's a sickness.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
I can't believe people can just throw Joe under the bus after all the good he has done. If it wasn't for him PSU football wouldn't have become a power house. Sure, a few people may have been hurt along the way, but that happens in any business. There are always a few casualties along the way. Remeber all the good that he did and all the money he brought in as well.
Translation:

Well, I know some young children forcibly had their anuses ripped open by the engorged penis of an adult man, or had a sweaty nuts*ck bumping against their chins as they cried and gagged. I know those kids and their families will spend the rest of their lives in dealing with the maddening pain and searing emotions generated. And you know, I'm sure that is bad on some level and all....

But we WON SOME FOOTBALL and me and my fellow alumni get to feel good about ourselves! Some young men enjoying the privilege of going to college as a top athlete had some quality feel good experiences! Our collective ego inflation is much, much more valuable in the end, is it not? My warm and fuzzy feelings are way more important than anything else. I must not let anything get in the way. Feeling good about JoePa is my birthright.

Children who got raped should just accept that they were a sacrifice to a higher cause. That cause being our happiness. And money. We could not have been a college without football. How would we ever learn without a top of the line sports program or extra nice facilities? That's the whole point of college, after all.

Is that about it?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:39 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,390 times
It's a very sad revelation for sure. When an institution, and those that head it, put their reputation and a sports program and heroes over the lives of children. A very sad day. I was one of those that wanted so badly to believe Paterno was really out of the loop, and that he couldn't possibly be involved in the cover-up. I guess my hopes were dashed. Sad.

I felt the very same way when another institution was caught covering up for pedophiles that ruined the lives of many. They too, sought to protect their reputations, and protect the institution, instead of doing the right thing.

It would be interesting to review and contrast the opinions of those that are now attacking Penn State, with their statements in the Church scandals, some of which are very recent, and seemingly never end.

I have the very same opinion now of those involved in both institutions.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Is this a real post by a real thinking, feeling human being?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
PSU alum here, don't care for Joe Paterno, never did, never will, could care less if PSU football got shuttered forever.

If I were a multi-billionaire, I would offer a huge amount of money to take the school private, raise admissions standards, cut the student body by 50% because it is way too crowded, change the name, and not give any preference to athletic recruits.

But for now, i'll settle for making my voice known about taking down that ridiculous statue and changing the name of the library for starters.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
Quote:
I think this is sarcastic? Because you don't speak for all alums (me).

As an alum, I was ashamed with students first rioted when the story broke (though not surprised as I went there for 4 years and know that state college is full of 'those people').

I only went to PSU because it was the cheapest option for me, and looking back I should have never went. Now my undergrad degree is associated with this stench that wont wash off and even worse most of my fellow alums are embarrassing themselves over their actions regards to this scandal.

I hope that my grad degree from a much better institution covers my association to this tainted institution somewhat.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Paterno has now been directly linked to the cover-up by an official, and well-respected investigation; while the degree of his involvement remains secondary when compared to Curley, Schultz and the worst of the posturing, manipulative schlockmeisters who hijacked the program for commercial reasons, Paterno's legacy has been tarnished beyond repair, and his earlier achiements overshadowed.

Personally, I feel that the people who now most owe us an expanation are Paterno's sons; it's inconcievable to me that younger men on the inside of the program, with a much stronger exposure to contemporary "thinking", and the probability of more "street sense", didn't see this coming.

But the most vocal of the indictments here, beginning with Post #1, represent what they always have ... a venomous hatred just looking for someone else to serve as a target -- possibly a release for their own insecurities.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-14-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Whatever his level of involvement, he was the face of that program.

With that goes the glory. With that goes the shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies