Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,809,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

It is an easy sale too. Ask yourself, which is more likely, Obama said businessmen didn't build their business or businessmen didn't build this country's infrastructure???
What infrastructure? He never said anything about infrastructure. He simply alluded that the success of any business is as much a result of hard work of its owners as a bum who collect change at the intersection.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 PM

57,399 posts, read 26,450,394 times
I think Romney agrees with Obama?

"But during a campaign appearance in Ohio on Wednesday, Mitt Romney misquoted Obama, before agreeing that tax payer-funded programs help all American businesses succeed:

ROMNEY: I know that you recognize a lot of people help you in a business. Perhaps the bank, the investors. There is no question your mom and dad, your school teachers. The people who provide roads, the fire, the police. A lot of people help. But let me ask you this. Did you build your business? If you did, raise your hand. Take that Mr. President! This is what’s happening in this country. These people are entrepreneurs."

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM

812 posts, read 597,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think Romney agrees with Obama?

"But during a campaign appearance in Ohio on Wednesday, Mitt Romney misquoted Obama, before agreeing that tax payer-funded programs help all American businesses succeed:

ROMNEY: I know that you recognize a lot of people help you in a business. Perhaps the bank, the investors. There is no question your mom and dad, your school teachers. The people who provide roads, the fire, the police. A lot of people help. But let me ask you this. Did you build your business? If you did, raise your hand. Take that Mr. President! This is what’s happening in this country. These people are entrepreneurs."
I think Obama is like Clinton will tell you what he thinks you want to hear to get elected. The leading thing is free stuff. Bask not what you can do for your country ask where do I find the free stuff?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:56 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,434,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
'you didn't build THAT.'

HONESTLY, tell me, do YOU really think Obama was telling businessmen they didnt build their business? Or are you ready to admit Obama was saying you didn't build the infrastructure you benefit from?
It takes enormous gall to tell successful people, who may be in the tenth of us that PAY 70% OF ALL FEDERAL INCOME TAXES, that "they didn't build that" even if he meant roads and bridges. There are two ways to judge Obama's speech: as an enormous insult, or a gigantic insult. Take your pick; you just look silly defending that obnoxious speech that tells us so much about Obama.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,067,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
There are two ways to judge Obama's speech: as an enormous insult, or a gigantic insult. Take your pick; you just look silly defending that obnoxious speech that tells us so much about Obama.
Actually, there's another way to judge the speech:

By reading (or hearing) the whole thing and realising he said absolutley nothing wrong.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post

By reading (or hearing) the whole thing and realising he said absolutley nothing wrong.
Its not exactly about what he said by why? Why would you want to remind business owners that their success is somewhat dependent on others when we need much more enterprenuership that ever before..
Why did he bring it up? Why now?

Typed on a phone: please excuse my grammer and spellink...

Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM

38,750 posts, read 22,544,230 times
Quote:
It takes enormous gall to tell successful people, who may be in the tenth of us that PAY 70% OF ALL FEDERAL INCOME TAXES, that "they didn't build that" even if he meant roads and bridges. There are two ways to judge Obama's speech: as an enormous insult, or a gigantic insult. Take your pick; you just look silly defending that obnoxious speech that tells us so much about Obama.
Yeah, I know, the 0-Bot sycophants have no good defense, the best they can do is say 0bama meant to belittle business owners for not paying taxes to help build roads, not for not building their business. It's sort of like saying "No, he did not say you were a pig, he said you just eat like one."

"I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there."

Seeeeee, 0bama was just insulting them for believing they are intelligent or hard working.... doesn't that make his condescension and insults all better now?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,434,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post

The whole speech is worse that the snippet, to anyone who has an understanding of the effort and talent it takes to run a business. If you substitute "teachers" for business owners, and remind them that they didn't build the school, and they aren't any smarter or harder-working than anyone else...you would have an equally obnoxious speech. That you "realize he said absolutely nothing wrong" says much about you, but nothing about the huge error Obama made by letting us know what he thinks about one of the pillars of American prosperity.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yeah, I know, the 0-Bot sycophants have no good defense, the best they can do is say 0bama meant to belittle business owners for not paying taxes to help build roads, not for not building their business. It's sort of like saying "No, he did not say you were a pig, he said you just eat like one."

"I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there."

Seeeeee, 0bama was just insulting them for believing they are intelligent or hard working.... doesn't that make his condescension and insults all better now?
Talking about inspiring people in these difficult times. Great job, Mr. President.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
The whole speech is worse that the snippet, to anyone who has an understanding of the effort and talent it takes to run a business. If you substitute "teachers" for business owners, and remind them that they didn't build the school, and they aren't any smarter or harder-working than anyone else...you would have an equally obnoxious speech. That you "realize he said absolutely nothing wrong" says much about you, but nothing about the huge error Obama made by letting us know what he thinks about one of the pillars of American prosperity.
Great point! How about Navy Seals who killed Osama: you didn't make your weapons, you did not track him down or put the operation together; you just happened to be in harms ways, risking your life to capture this terrorist.
I habe a new title for ObamaL: Demotivator-in-Chief...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies