Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM

488 posts, read 555,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yup, the left is trying to spin it, but we heard him:

"If you've been successful, you did not get there on your own."

"If you were successful, somebody along the line, gave you some help."

"There was a great teacher somewhere..."

"Someone helped to create this amazing system of government"

"Someone invested in roads and bridges..."

"If you’ve got a business...THAT!! .... you didn’t build THAT.... somebody else, made THAT happen"

So the part where he said we succeed through individual initiative didn't happen?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:13 PM

812 posts, read 595,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I own a business.

I've never taken out a business loan
I've never received government aid
I've never had a government contract
I did everything by myself.

I didn't even gain advantages from this government from when I was a kid - I didn't move to this country until I was an adult (and I paid my dues to facilitate that). I was even home-schooled back in my home country.

Any government involvement as to the success of my business (FAA regulations for air travel, roads so I could get to sites, fiber infrastructure for internet, etc.) I have paid for through my taxes, be them fuel taxes, communications taxes, mandatory airline taxes, etc. - the government hasn't "provided" anything to me. Neither has anybody else. To claim that I needed some sort of assistance to make it happen is an insult.
Yes sir, this is the double edge sword the idiot takers are using to defend an untenable position and have the audacity to believe we are as simplistic as that idiot commie Elizabeth Warren that set the stage for the idiot commie Obama.
When the rich and middle class create most of the jobs and pay most of the taxes that build the roads and universities and pay the taxes for the idiot public workers that fill the simplistic simplistic brains with liberal arts mush that does not prepare them to get a job(other than teaching), to pay taxes to buy a car to drive on a road The taxpayer built, to get to the university that our taxes built to listen to the little commie fa.s that our taxes paid to teachthem the mush! You goddamn right we understand! Problem is they don't understand we did both, created the jobs and paid the taxes. Should we all quit, who will pay the six figure salaries of the little fa. College professors that are charging our children a mortgage ransom to be cloned in their image to do jobs that don't exist because the profits have been taxed away to support their sorry asses to work nine months out of the year. Any fing questions!?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,800,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
sadly, this is one thing fartbama has said thats sorta true, just said really, really badly.

most business owners did NOT create their company on their own. not even my 3 man operation i run at home was created on my own. i had help, but i was the driving force behind the idea.

obama just worded it really badly.

ps - i dont support obama or anything he stands for.
You got help? You're lucky, I had to pay for any help I received

Typed on a phone: please excuse my grammer and spellink...

Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,416,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
So the part where he said we succeed through individual initiative didn't happen?
A positive comment excuses the snarky crap? If somebody says "Your mother was such a w***e, they had to open new VD cinics in three counties. But she really was a sweet person," would that not be objectionable?

You folks are really reaching to try to defend the indefensible.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,136,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Mitt Romney --- "I pay no taxes". He has said each and every one of those words, many times. The man is an open book, well, if he opened his books.
Wow, even the hardcore defenders aren't trying to defend the President any more.

This is going even better than I thought!

Bob's going to end up voting for Romney. He'd never admit it, of course, but I think it's becoming clear that even he is becoming disenchanted with Obama.

Pull that lever for Romney, Bob! You KNOW you're going to!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 PM

488 posts, read 555,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
A positive comment excuses the snarky crap? If somebody says "Your mother was such a w***e, they had to open new VD cinics in three counties. But she really was a sweet person," would that not be objectionable?

You folks are really reaching to try to defend the indefensible.
The President's comments are not akin to making personal insults about somebody's mother being a *****. I don't know who you are lumping me in with "you people", but I can assure you my political stance is not what you're assuming. There are plenty of legitimate political and policy complaints to be made, so I just cannot understand why there is 167 pages of people buying into such an obviously dishonest use of selective quoting.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,207,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You got help? You're lucky, I had to pay for any help I received

Typed on a phone: please excuse my grammer and spellink...
Not sure what type of business you have that you don't get some "help" from someone, government, friends, neighbors or use of the infrastructure.

You don't take the Section 179 deduction? I've used it for years as a builder early on and on my hobby farm now. Buy a new truck on credit (nothing down) and write off the full price of the truck that year. I even used to wait to buy in Dec if I needed to burn profits for that year. Pretty great tax "gift", deducting money you didnt spend.

You keep claiming your pennies in transportation taxes pay for the roads you use. If you're getting 15 mpg you are only paying three or four cents a mile for that use, hardly enuf to build a mile of road. Without the investment of millions of other users your pennies are worthless.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
No doubt "He has said each and every one of those words, many times."
Do you have evidence that he ever said em in that order?
Pretty much the same evidence that the OP has for that assertion.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:04 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,480,772 times
"I built this business without gov't help. Obama Can Kiss My Ass"

Old 08-01-2012, 03:21 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,800,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Not sure what type of business you have that you don't get some "help" from someone, government, friends, neighbors or use of the infrastructure.

You don't take the Section 179 deduction? I've used it for years as a builder early on and on my hobby farm now. Buy a new truck on credit (nothing down) and write off the full price of the truck that year. I even used to wait to buy in Dec if I needed to burn profits for that year. Pretty great tax "gift", deducting money you didnt spend.

You keep claiming your pennies in transportation taxes pay for the roads you use. If you're getting 15 mpg you are only paying three or four cents a mile for that use, hardly enuf to build a mile of road. Without the investment of millions of other users your pennies are worthless.
Bud do you know that there are weigh stations on every interstate and trucks pay based on weight? Truckers and toll roads pay for the development of the infrastructure.

And no, nobody was in a position to help me with my business. I paid for everything.

Posted from a phone: please excuse my grammer and spellink...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies