Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM

38,014 posts, read 22,198,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Actually, there's another way to judge the speech:

By reading (or hearing) the whole thing and realising he said absolutley nothing wrong.
We have, and his overall theme was that if you own a business, we need to take more taxes from you, because you did really earn it by yourself, so why should we let you keep it for yourself

1) We had high taxes under Clinton, and the rich "people did just fine"

2) a lot of rich strawmen agree with 0bama on higher taxes, and they tell 0bama "they want to give something back"

3) then he says the reason the rich strawmen agree with him is because they know they did not get there on their own, and he lists all the ways business owners did not get there on their own

4) he even makes the case that they did not get there by making intelligent choices and hard work

5) then he lists more reason why business owners should not be credited with their success, hell, they did not even help build the roads and bridges and internet that they used

6) then he realizes he has no coherent message left, and turns his ramblings into a platitude about working together as one nation and one people

Obama: If you've been successful you didn't get there on your own - YouTube

Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,208,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
What infrastructure? He never said anything about infrastructure. He simply alluded that the success of any business is as much a result of hard work of its owners as a bum who collect change at the intersection.
Yeah right
Quote:
Let’s take some of that money and rebuild our roads and our bridges and our rail systems, and let’s build wireless networks into rural communities so everybody can tap into world markets. Let’s put construction workers back to work doing what they do best and that is rebuilding America.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people,

Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM

332 posts, read 530,022 times
sadly, this is one thing fartbama has said thats sorta true, just said really, really badly.

most business owners did NOT create their company on their own. not even my 3 man operation i run at home was created on my own. i had help, but i was the driving force behind the idea.

obama just worded it really badly.

ps - i dont support obama or anything he stands for.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,407 times
I've said before that I think that Obama speech was horrifically worded, it HANDED that soundbite to Romney, and whoever wrote it should be fired. But I agree with the general message of it.

Many (most? all?) successful, innovative businesses have relied on the support of society's infrastructure and financial opportunities. Businesses aren't built in a bubble.

Just ask Romney's own example....

Quote:
William Golden shared a link.

Meet Jack Gilchrist of New Hampshire.

Jack is a smart person, has worked hard and has built a great business. However, ...

Jack has just put together a new ad for the Romney campaign highlighting how he built his business himself without outside help: These Hands - YouTube

These Hands - YouTube

Jack began his business in the late 1980s with just under $500,000 in guaranteed loans from the federal Small Business Administration at rates that he couldn't get from a bank of he applied on his own.

Jack also got almost $500,000 in federally-funded New England Trade Adjustment Assistance Center funds to match his SBA loan.

In the 1990s Jack expanded his business with $800,000 of in tax-exempt revenue bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority to set up a second manufacturing plant and purchase equipment to produce high definition television broadcasting equipment.

Along the way Jack has prospered from a number of small business setaside contracts from the federal government.

Jack is probably a great guy -- he is just caught up in the moment of it all. He is someone that is just taking advantage of what was offered but believes that he could have done it otherwise if he had to ... although probably not, or maybe so.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,139,639 times
Two and a half weeks and still going strong.

Awesome.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Two and a half weeks and still going strong.

Awesome.
Yup, the left is trying to spin it, but we heard him:

"If you've been successful, you did not get there on your own."

"If you were successful, somebody along the line, gave you some help."

"There was a great teacher somewhere..."

"Someone helped to create this amazing system of government"

"Someone invested in roads and bridges..."

"If you’ve got a business...THAT!! .... you didn’t build THAT.... somebody else, made THAT happen"

Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,590,339 times
I own a business.

I've never taken out a business loan
I've never received government aid
I've never had a government contract
I did everything by myself.

I didn't even gain advantages from this government from when I was a kid - I didn't move to this country until I was an adult (and I paid my dues to facilitate that). I was even home-schooled back in my home country.

Any government involvement as to the success of my business (FAA regulations for air travel, roads so I could get to sites, fiber infrastructure for internet, etc.) I have paid for through my taxes, be them fuel taxes, communications taxes, mandatory airline taxes, etc. - the government hasn't "provided" anything to me. Neither has anybody else. To claim that I needed some sort of assistance to make it happen is an insult.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,876,854 times
Mitt Romney --- "I pay no taxes". He has said each and every one of those words, many times. The man is an open book, well, if he opened his books.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Mitt Romney --- "I pay no taxes". He has said each and every one of those words, many times. The man is an open book, well, if he opened his books.
Deflect away, it's all you guys have.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,813,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
No doubt "He has said each and every one of those words, many times."
Do you have evidence that he ever said em in that order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies