Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times

Advertisements

There needs to be a coup d'etat by the nuns and the Jesuits. Man, that would be fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 09:47 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
I don't know. You folks seem to have it all figured out though.

As for the NY Times story...........

"But Cardinal Bertone halted the process after Father Murphy personally wrote to Cardinal Ratzinger protesting that he should not be put on trial because he had already repented and was in poor health and that the case was beyond the church’s own statute of limitations. “I simply want to live out the time that I have left in the dignity of my priesthood,” Father Murphy wrote near the end of his life to Cardinal Ratzinger. “I ask your kind assistance in this matter.” The files contain no response from Cardinal Ratzinger."

Do you know exactly how the hierarchy from Rome operates? I don't. If it's as much of a beaurocracy as the US government is then I doubt he ever even saw the letter to begin with. Who knows? I do know if I were a seargent in the army and I wrote a letter to the CIC he would never see it.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
There needs to be a coup d'etat by the nuns and the Jesuits. Man, that would be fantastic.
Not many nuns running around anymore. Probably got tired of the priests molesting the boys and not them.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
. “I simply want to live out the time that I have left in the dignity of my priesthood,”
Substitute priesthood for coaching career, and would you let Sandusky walk away saying the same thing? How about the kids-were they allowed "to live out their childhood w/o affects?

I read that article when published and the pope blew it. The answer to the priests request should have been to turn him over to the police, and aid the prosecution as much as possible, asking the DA to make sure he DIED in a full security prison , Gen Pop, of course.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 PM

That is what the guy was requesting. Nothing shows the pope returned his letter or had anything to do with letting him live his life out. You folks are on a witch hunt so have at it. I'm no fan of the catholic church like many.

Why are you bringing what I would do into this? The thread isn't about me. My opinion on what should be done to these folks was expressed earlier in the thread if you took the time to read it.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Not many nuns running around anymore.
Hard to tell who is a nun and who isn't nowadays. I miss the habits, although I'm sure that the nuns don't.

Quote:
Probably got tired of the priests molesting the boys and not them.
Most of the nuns that I know personally role their eyes about priests, so I think that most are more than comfortable as brides of Jesus.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

Regarding the Pope's letter while he was a Cardinal and in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. That letter threatened priests with excommunication should they report a priest to the police for suspected abuse of a child: it is a clear case of obstruction of justice. When a crime is committed in this country, it is to be reported to the police. Organizations are not to investigate crimes INSTEAD of the police.

"Father John Beal, professor of canon law at the Catholic University of America, gave an oral deposition under oath on 8 April last year in which he admitted to Shea that the letter extended the church's jurisdiction and control over sexual assault crimes.

The Ratzinger letter was co-signed by Archbishop Tarcisio Bertone who gave an interview two years ago in which he hinted at the church's opposition to allowing outside agencies to investigate abuse claims.

'In my opinion, the demand that a bishop be obligated to contact the police in order to denounce a priest who has admitted the offense of paedophilia is unfounded,' Bertone said."

Pope 'obstructed' sex abuse inquiry | World news | The Observer

"The order was made in a confidential letter, obtained by The Observer, which was sent to every Catholic bishop in May 2001."

Oh, OK. I'll read the letter and evaluate the facts for myself...

"It asserted the church's right to hold its inquiries behind closed doors and keep the evidence confidential for up to 10 years after the victims reached adulthood. The letter was signed by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who was elected as John Paul II's successor last week."

Yep, OK. Not questioning the truthfulness of your article...just want to read what the letter actually says.

"Lawyers acting for abuse victims claim it was designed to prevent the allegations from becoming public knowledge or being investigated by the police. They accuse Ratzinger of committing a 'clear obstruction of justice'."

Do the lawyers have a webpage where I can read the actual letter?

"The letter, 'concerning very grave sins', was sent from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Vatican office that once presided over the Inquisition and was overseen by Ratzinger."

"Very grave sins", crap! That could be anything from mass murder to workin' the gherkin!

"It spells out to bishops the church's position on a number of matters ranging from celebrating the eucharist with a non-Catholic to sexual abuse by a cleric 'with a minor below the age of 18 years'. Ratzinger's letter states that the church can claim jurisdiction in cases where abuse has been 'perpetrated with a minor by a cleric'."

Yeah, great, now about the part where it tells people to cover-up abuse...

"The letter states that the church's jurisdiction 'begins to run from the day when the minor has completed the 18th year of age' and lasts for 10 years."

I'm not seeing a cover-up here.

Maybe I'm missing something here...like the actual letter.

Nice try Helenejen.

I guess if you want to hate on the Roman Catholic church, you'll have to get a better source.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
That is what the guy was requesting. Nothing shows the pope returned his letter or had anything to do with letting him live his life out. You folks are on a witch hunt so have at it. I'm no fan of the catholic church like many.

Why are you bringing what I would do into this? The thread isn't about me. My opinion on what should be done to these folks was expressed earlier in the thread if you took the time to read it.
He should have answered with an undefined "NO" followed by aiding the DA as much as possible towards a lifetime prison sentence for the perp. That is the gist of both the RCC and PSU problem: people NOT doing all they can to actually stop the cycle, no matter the cost to their organization.

BTW, the perp was NEVER arrested.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"The order was made in a confidential letter, obtained by The Observer, which was sent to every Catholic bishop in May 2001."

Oh, OK. I'll read the letter and evaluate the facts for myself...

"It asserted the church's right to hold its inquiries behind closed doors and keep the evidence confidential for up to 10 years after the victims reached adulthood. The letter was signed by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who was elected as John Paul II's successor last week."

Yep, OK. Not questioning the truthfulness of your article...just want to read what the letter actually says.

"Lawyers acting for abuse victims claim it was designed to prevent the allegations from becoming public knowledge or being investigated by the police. They accuse Ratzinger of committing a 'clear obstruction of justice'."

Do the lawyers have a webpage where I can read the actual letter?

"The letter, 'concerning very grave sins', was sent from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Vatican office that once presided over the Inquisition and was overseen by Ratzinger."

"Very grave sins", crap! That could be anything from mass murder to workin' the gherkin!

"It spells out to bishops the church's position on a number of matters ranging from celebrating the eucharist with a non-Catholic to sexual abuse by a cleric 'with a minor below the age of 18 years'. Ratzinger's letter states that the church can claim jurisdiction in cases where abuse has been 'perpetrated with a minor by a cleric'."

Yeah, great, now about the part where it tells people to cover-up abuse...

"The letter states that the church's jurisdiction 'begins to run from the day when the minor has completed the 18th year of age' and lasts for 10 years."

I'm not seeing a cover-up here.

Maybe I'm missing something here...like the actual letter.

Nice try Helenejen.

I guess if you want to hate on the Roman Catholic church, you'll have to get a better source.
*LOL* I'm a practicing Catholic.

You are free to conduct a search for the letter. The poster I was responding to offered a mere opinion piece. I offered one that at least had a statement about the letter by an Archbishop.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
He should have answered with an undefined "NO" followed by aiding the DA as much as possible towards a lifetime prison sentence for the perp. That is the gist of both the RCC and PSU problem: people NOT doing all they can to actually stop the cycle, no matter the cost to their organization.

BTW, the perp was NEVER arrested.
How do you know he didn't? Do you have all the correspondence sent by the pope before he was pope somewhere handy you refer to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies