Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Of course not. We also have Indian names in the US such as Oklahoma, Chatanooga, Dakota, and Miami that we've haven't changed.
Well, can we at least change the name of Boca Raton?

That is a fricken ugly name, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Good posts, jdiddy.

Some people distort the past and refuse to look to the future. They can't see that immigration has always been an issue. First generation immigrants have never been that good at assimilating.

While there may be a lot of Latinos here now that don't speak English, the later generations will become fluent and assimilated. It takes time.
My dad works at a school that is prodominately hispanic, he sees kids born here that cant understand english and can barely speak it I have seen thrid and fourth generations that only speak spanish. My dad and his family came over from Germany, learned english in a year. It can be done it is called hard work and practice, the illegals now, have no desire to, why should they, we cater to their asses. English should be the Offical language here. I have been to a couple other countries and have NEVER seen this crap.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My dad works at a school that is prodominately hispanic, he sees kids born here that cant understand english and can barely speak it I have seen thrid and fourth generations that only speak spanish. My dad and his family came over from Germany, learned english in a year. It can be done it is called hard work and practice, the illegals now, have no desire to, why should they, we cater to their asses. English should be the Offical language here. I have been to a couple other countries and have NEVER seen this crap.

The most ironic thing is that bare minimum, 55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin. These kids already have built in vocabulary to learn. They're just lazy.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The most ironic thing is that bare minimum, 55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin. These kids already have built in vocabulary to learn. They're just lazy.
Lazy is right!! I know three languages, my oldest know three and my 14 year old knows two. Kids can learn, they choose not too.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM

I would like to gently remind everyone that Hispanic immigrants became the backbone of the labor force in this country through our own desire for cheap goods produced by low-paid workers. We wanted them here so that we could have dollar-a-head lettuce and someone to mow our lawns for peanuts so that we could go to the beach.

Now that they're here in great numbers -- at OUR request -- we don't like the way they look, sound, or talk? That's not completely fair, is it?

I'm just saying.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM

The student has to have the desire and will to learn. That's what the movie Stand and Deliver is all about!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 AM

236 posts, read 442,075 times
I am 38 years old.(yes I am old) LoL. I grew up in a farming community in California. My Grandfather was a huge Grape farmer. My brothers and I loved helping the workers pick grapes. We road on the tractors with them and played with their children.They did not have alot of money but they took pride in their homes and in this country. They wanted to be American. They worked for their money and they did not take handouts. I never had an opinion on illegal immagration up until a few years ago.I always believed that they just wanted a better life than what they had in Mexico. The immigrants today do not have the mentality that the ones I grew up with had. The ones today expect us to give, give, give. They are distroying neighborhoods, they take but do not give back. They have brought crime to our streets. They expect you and I to learn their language and get pissed if we don't. They do not want to be Americans they want to be Mexican-Americans. I drive along country roads to get to work and it is littered with old couches, appliances, garbage. They have no respect for the person who owns that land. The county dump is 10 minutes away but they still dump their trash illegally. What is it about them and illegal activity. I guess I shouldn't be suprised since they are here illegally. I am fed up with our government and big businesses. They do not listen to the legal citizens. We do not want them here, we do not want to pay for their medical, their welfare, the cleaning up of their trash, their education, we do not want to be made to learn their language, we want to be turned down for employment based on our work not on our ability to speak a foreign language. I am disgusted with myself because I find that I get so angry on this subject that I cuss the immigrants. I don't want to hate but our government has pushed the citizens to the point of racism. If the illegal immigrants of today had the same mentality as the ones I grew up with then I would say Welcome to my country, Unfortuantley that will never be. When you travel abroad you do not expect citizens of another country to know our language, that should be the same here. I speak English not Spanish, French, German, etc. I should not have to adjust my way of living to accomadate people who have no respect for my country or it's laws. The FACT is illegal immigrants are here illegally and no one can argue with that FACT. I don't need a poll to tell me that. I KNOWA SPEAKA SPANISH!!!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I would like to gently remind everyone that Hispanic immigrants became the backbone of the labor force in this country through our own desire for cheap goods produced by low-paid workers. We wanted them here so that we could have dollar-a-head lettuce and someone to mow our lawns for peanuts so that we could go to the beach.

Now that they're here in great numbers -- at OUR request -- we don't like the way they look, sound, or talk? That's not completely fair, is it?

I'm just saying.
I didnt ask them or want them. I pay more for my lettuce and have no problem with it. And this isnt about immigrants, legal ones come on in.This is about illegals that say they want to be here and then show no desire to become what they say they want to be a part of. My kids mow my yard and I dont like the beach. And I dont think it is FAIR they are soaking up our services.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I didnt ask them or want them. I pay more for my lettuce and have no problem with it. And this isnt about immigrants, legal ones come on in.This is about illegals that say they want to be here and then show no desire to become what they say they want to be a part of. My kids mow my yard and I dont like the beach. And I dont think it is FAIR they are soaking up our services.

Not to mention trying to create a "Sudetenland" scenerio here in the Southwest!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
So you're denying that we started the whole revolving-door border deal, and owe them nothing for keeping our economy afloat, except a swift kick in the pants?

That's muy frijo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies