Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
There is no purpose why a law abiding citizen should want an AK-47 or similar semi-automatic weapon unless they plan to commit mass murder or some acts of terrorism.

A regular gun should serve just right for protection as it will do the job just the same. Where will this stop? What's next, miniature nuclear bombs for everyone to make the NRA happy?
They're fun to shoot at ranges I hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
My point is that Obama has no answers. If he truly made such a statement, he is pandering once again.
Your list would be shorter if you would just record when Obama is not pandering for votes.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 PM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Your list would be shorter if you would just record when Obama is not pandering for votes.
Very true!

Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There oughta be a law against ........oh wait, there already is. It has never been legal for a felon in the US to posess an AK-47 nor was one used in the Aurora theater killings.

Meanwhile, in the former community organizers hometown (with the most restrictive gun laws in the USA), murders are at an all time high. I guess he was a failure as a community organizer as well, eh.

Really? I'm not a mass murderer or a terrorist and I have owned and trained with same. An AK-47 clone or an AR is every bit as "regular" of a firearm as any other.

While YOU may have no purpose to own such tools do not presume to dictate what law abiding citizens practicing their RKBA need or don't need. Your neo-Marxist agenda is clear: an armed populous is inconsistent with a police state.
So I'm neo-Marxist for not wanting you to own a weapon of mass destruction. Would you also scold me if I say you have no right to own a bomb or a grenade?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
There is no purpose why a law abiding citizen should want an AK-47 or similar semi-automatic weapon unless they plan to commit mass murder or some acts of terrorism.

A regular gun should serve just right for protection as it will do the job just the same. Where will this stop? What's next, miniature nuclear bombs for everyone to make the NRA happy?

A military derived weapon, in particular the AK, is designed and tested to be ultra reliable and rugged. When a gaggle of druggies decides to maraud your vacation cabin, you want a gun that will absolutely go bang when you pull the trigger.

Aside from ruggedness and reliability, the semi-auto AK is ballistically and functionally similar to a 30-30 lever action commonly used for deer hunting in the US. Would you ban those too? Or just ban the AK, due to its ruggedness and reliability?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
So I'm neo-Marxist for not wanting you to own a weapon of mass destruction. Would you also scold me if I say you have no right to own a bomb or a grenade?
On the flip side, should we ban rocks?

I infer that you do not want a ban on all guns. Is that correct?

If so, it is logical to discuss what limits are reasonable.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:

?

Explain how then thousands upon thousands of people own and use them peacefully? Oh and Hey look a woman on the firing range with a AR-15. does that mean she must be compensating for having no penis by shooting a mean ol' black rifle? That what anti's like to accuse us of afterall, being "gun nuts" to compensate for lacking.

Camp Perry High Power Rifle Competition - YouTube

Edward's Camp Perry Pop Up Shooting - 11/28/2009 - YouTube

High Power Service Rifle 200 Yard Rapid Fire Sitting - Camp Perry 2009 - YouTube

Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
The cool thing about this not being 1991-1992, is the internet now and us pro gun people having the ability to respond and expose the lies and propaganda. Back in the Clinton's years the media and hollywood were in control to spread their lies with no rebuttle.

So hey AL, thanks for the internet.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Now an AK-47 or similar rifle are weapons of mass destruction? Wow, you really are a piece of work.

You seem to have no problem at all with the Obama administration illegally traffiking guns and grenades to Mexican drug cartels but you are all over dictating what law abiding citizens should and shouldn't have. Have you sought therapy for your control issues?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
I read the article and don't see where Obama said anything about semi-automatics. These are very common and many small lightweight handguns are this type.

Me thinks the far right are twisting his words.

When he got elected in 2008 a lot of righties were spreading rumors that he was going to take away their gun rights and they were a lot of guns and ammo purchased at that time due to false rumors.

I think his desire to limit AK-47s is going to get twisted. Just like the subject line of the original post...saying "semi automatics". If someone was in a hurry and just read the headline they might think their pocket pistol is going to be taken away. Not so.

I dont know much about Ak-47s, so googled them. Wikipedia says they are fully-automatic (hold the trigger and bullet after bullet will fire), but they have a semi-automatic mode if you don't want to be fully-automatic. For those that don't know, semi-automatic merely means you have to pull the trigger for each shot. This is what many normal guns are.

I just found quotes from Obama's speech last night and he didnt say anything at all about semi-automatics. Sounds like an urban legend.

Last edited by sware2cod; 07-26-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies