Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
fantasy alert:
There is no middle ground where the guv is concerned.

Bull crap.

Alcohol, perfect example.

Americans of all ages drank pre prohibition. Many Americans wanted the outright ban for "moral reasons". Mainly brought about by the fact that women won the right to vote, alcohol was banned, outright.

Drinking levels went up. This was a "all or nothing" solution.

But the compromise, when FDR came to power was a legal drinking age, as well as restrictions on where you could buy, how much you could buy, and whom could buy alcohol.

That is middle ground, and American political history is full of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkatt View Post
once you take away the legally owned guns, you have illegal ones, in the hands of criminals. How do you propose to deal with them, since now only they and the police are armed?

What do you take away next? Cars? Gas? Fertilizer? Baseball bats? Crowbars?

Hey, here's an idea, take away the super soakers, they can be filled with alkali or acid!

It's not guns that are the problem, it's people.. Your only solution is to take away the people...

Click image for larger version

Name:	gun control-AR15rock[1].jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	98990

Old 07-28-2012, 08:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is true, but do we need 100 round clips and body piercing ammunition?
you want to eliminate body piercing ammunition? kind of hard for the ammo to do its job if it doesnt pierce the body don you think?

ok i know you meant to say body armor piercing, but what happens when the bad guy decides to wear body armor? remember the shoot out in LA where the bad guys robbed a bank while wearing body armor and carrying full auto weapons? the cops had to get their hand on rifles and better ammo to ultimately take the bad guys down.

but again, its not the ammunition we need to worry about, or the guns themselves, its the people that wield those guns. criminals dont care about anyone but themselves, and they are cowards otherwise they would get real jobs and work for a living.

Quote:
We can still have guns for personal protection, without giving lunatics the means of killing mass amounts of people at the same time.
how is limiting the number of rounds a magazine can hold going to limit anyone from killing large numbers of people?

Quote:
If this lunatics gun didn't jam, it would have been significantly worse.
or if he had bought a quality high capacity magazine, or if he had brought a second AR15 instead of a shotgun.

Quote:
There is a middle ground where those who want guns for protection can still get them, and where we don't hand a child a hand grenade.
do you really think that someone who is not allowed to own firearms, or any other weapon, is somehow not going to get them? ever hear of the black market? or the internet? yes you can ban grenades to non military or para military people, but how hard is it to look up "how to make bombs in your spare time with simple items you have in your kitchen" on the internet?

my point is that if someone is motivated enough, they will find a way to get the weapons they want to commit the crimes they are planning.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you want to eliminate body piercing ammunition? kind of hard for the ammo to do its job if it doesnt pierce the body don you think?

ok i know you meant to say body armor piercing, but what happens when the bad guy decides to wear body armor? remember the shoot out in LA where the bad guys robbed a bank while wearing body armor and carrying full auto weapons? the cops had to get their hand on rifles and better ammo to ultimately take the bad guys down.

but again, its not the ammunition we need to worry about, or the guns themselves, its the people that wield those guns. criminals dont care about anyone but themselves, and they are cowards otherwise they would get real jobs and work for a living.

how is limiting the number of rounds a magazine can hold going to limit anyone from killing large numbers of people?

or if he had bought a quality high capacity magazine, or if he had brought a second AR15 instead of a shotgun.

do you really think that someone who is not allowed to own firearms, or any other weapon, is somehow not going to get them? ever hear of the black market? or the internet? yes you can ban grenades to non military or para military people, but how hard is it to look up "how to make bombs in your spare time with simple items you have in your kitchen" on the internet?

my point is that if someone is motivated enough, they will find a way to get the weapons they want to commit the crimes they are planning.

Ok, my son was talking to me and the brain didn't relate to the fingers what to type well. Simple mistake, I think you understand that I'm talking about body armor piercing ammunition

And lowering the amount of ammunition you can put through a gun at one time makes it much harder for lunatics to kill massive amounts of people.

Responsible gun owners reload when you run out, no more then 5 or 6 shots at a time. Crazy people want 100 round clips to empty them into crowds of people.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Responsible gun owners reload when you run out, no more then 5 or 6 shots at a time.
Or 10, or 17.

Quote:
Crazy people want 100 round clips to empty them into crowds of people.
A $300 semi auto with a few extra mags can accomplish about the same thing in about the same amount of time.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Ok, my son was talking to me and the brain didn't relate to the fingers what to type well. Simple mistake, I think you understand that I'm talking about body armor piercing ammunition
yeah i knew that, i just had to get a little dig in at you.

Quote:
And lowering the amount of ammunition you can put through a gun at one time makes it much harder for lunatics to kill massive amounts of people.

Responsible gun owners reload when you run out, no more then 5 or 6 shots at a time. Crazy people want 100 round clips to empty them into crowds of people.
here is the problem though. lets say you can get it to the point where no one has magazines with more than ten round capacity. what does that mean to the criminal? in actuality nothing. why? lets say that i decided one day that i wanted to kill a bunch of people, it doesnt matter what, i just do. but every gun store i go to says that i can only get magazines with a ten round limit. my thought then switches to, how many guns of the same caliber can i carry at one time? lets say i can carry ten colt 1911s each holding 11 rounds of ammunition(ten in the magazine plus one in the chamber). that gives me 110 rounds of ammunition with which to do my dirty deed. now i just need to carry these guns in such a manner that i can draw each one quickly while firing another one, remember i have two hands. so i start shooting with one gun, while drawing the second, and while firing the second gun, the first runs dry so i draw the third, and so on until i ultimately run out of ammunition.

or lets say i have some mad machinist skills, and while the AR15 i bought from the gun store only has a ten round magazine, what is stopping me from making my own 100 round magazine? remember that i am already going to commit the crime of murder, what do i care if i also get charged with owning an illegal high capacity magazine?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't know of any credible efforts to ban guns in the USA, do you?
"This administration has consistently favored the reinstitution of the assault weapons ban."

A quote by Eric Holder, Attorney General saying Obama want to ban guns . Oops, my bad, I forgot you said credible.[LEFT]
Read more: Holder tells Congress the Obama administration wants to ban guns | The Daily Caller
[/LEFT]

Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
When will folks finally learn that banning things only makes the problem 10x worse?
Let's ban booze. Oh, wait, we tried that. That didn't go to well.

Let's ban drugs. Oh wait we have been trying that for how many yeas now. How is that going?

If just passing laws is the answer, why do we need ANY police or a legal system at all?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

here is the problem though. lets say you can get it to the point where no one has magazines with more than ten round capacity. what does that mean to the criminal? in actuality nothing. why? lets say that i decided one day that i wanted to kill a bunch of people, it doesnt matter what, i just do. but every gun store i go to says that i can only get magazines with a ten round limit. my thought then switches to, how many guns of the same caliber can i carry at one time? lets say i can carry ten colt 1911s each holding 11 rounds of ammunition(ten in the magazine plus one in the chamber). that gives me 110 rounds of ammunition with which to do my dirty deed. now i just need to carry these guns in such a manner that i can draw each one quickly while firing another one, remember i have two hands. so i start shooting with one gun, while drawing the second, and while firing the second gun, the first runs dry so i draw the third, and so on until i ultimately run out of ammunition.

or lets say i have some mad machinist skills, and while the AR15 i bought from the gun store only has a ten round magazine, what is stopping me from making my own 100 round magazine? remember that i am already going to commit the crime of murder, what do i care if i also get charged with owning an illegal high capacity magazine?
No, you can buy 100 round clips at the gun store down the road.

It means 5 second reload times, which is an eternity and allows more people to get away.

You can never prevent this type of violence, but you can restrict how much carnage per incident there is.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
"I don't believe that people should be able to own guns." -Barak Obama

as quoted to John R. Lott, Jr., PhD, while both were working at the University of Chicago Law School in 1996. From the book "Debacle", by Grover G. Norquist and John R Lott, Jr., John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Publisher
And Mormons don't believe people should drink coffee or alcohol, should we expect a call to to return to prohibition if Romney's elected? Expect StarBucks to be closed?

A POTUS is entitled to personal opinions, they're also entitled to be denied when they attempt to alter Constitutional law based on those opinions unless and amendment passes thru the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies