Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 08:36 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,739,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I watched some of the Olympic opening ceremony, quite by accident, when visiting a relative who owns a television. What do the kids say these days? - "it creeped me out". Are these the solemn rituals of the new world religion? Weird.

Strikingly absent from the historical narrative of England's experience was the single most important thing that ever happened to the British Isles: Christianity. It's amazing when you think about it. Every triviality qualifies for inclusion, but not the faith everyone is afraid of these days, the faith that not only shaped the history and people of Great Britain, but the entire English-speaking world including the United States.

America is America because - and only because - Britannia was Christianized.

So, the English and indeed the entire western world are ditching God, renouncing their Christian heritage, and erecting some strange (and obscenely expensive) neo-pagan worldwide cult to fill the void. Something new is definitely emerging across the pond. Whatever it is, it certainly isn't English, nor is it anything the world has ever seen.

Show of Hands "Roots" - YouTube
Actually, had they wished to spotlight religion specific to Britain, and not the neo-religion imported from the Middle East, it would have showcased Paganism -- first, the indigenous beliefs, then those of the Roman invaders, ending with the beliefs of the invading Norse and Anglo-Saxons.

Paganism existed in Britain for thousands of years, compared to the mere 600-700-year presence of Christianity there. It endures to this day in many cathedrals, monuments, festivals, and place names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,664 times
plenty of pagan temples in the UK - Stonehenge being the most famous.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
OP, please google Olympic Opening ceremonies and "Jerusalem" and/or "Abide with Me."
I don't know about your church, but I know where to find both of these in our hymnals.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,675 times
WesternPilgrim is the type of person that needs to review the decline of religious beliefs among the European population.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Elizabethan Britain, when exploration was ramping up, would have made the average US fundamentalist Bible belt town look tepid in terms of religiosity. Most of the sea dogs like Sir Francis Drake were devout Protestants. OP is correct that there was no greater influence on Brit history than Protestantism. To compare it to the impact of pre-Christian paganism, druidism, etc. is silly.

Although I am not a Christian, I can't deny the history. I think it has much to do with why the Anglosphere today, including UK, US, Canada, Aus, and NZ are among the most sought destinations for people who decide to pull up roots and emigrate.

That said I don't know why it is necessary to mix sport & religion.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sorry, dude... it's not 1394 AD anymore.
Personally I believe the best thing to happen in fair Albion was the Druids ...

Christianity was part of it's downfall.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Correction the single most important thing that happened to the England, and through them Britain is that they were Romanized. Christianity was just one part of that. Though to be fair most of the good ideas about government (e.g. trial by jury, legislatures, and an independent judiciary) came from non-Christian sources like the Norse and Ancient Rome, and most of the bad ideas about government (e.g. a strong Monarchy) came from Christian sources.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,664 times
didn't the Wicca movement also begin in England - people like Alastair Crowley, Gardner etc..?

I bet that wasn't shown at the Olympic ceremony.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,609,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That said I don't know why it is necessary to mix sport & religion.
Religion, as the highest motive for human action, is mixed with everything. The attempt to extricate Christianity from public life only invites new and willing substitutes.

I'm sure you are well aware of the pagan religious origins of the Olympic games. Christian Emperor Theodosius I banned the Olympics in 393 A.D. due to the diabolical brutality, cruelty, and barbarism of the events, which included ritualistic human sacrifices to pagan deities. Not very tolerant or ecumenical, that narrow-minded Theodosius.

(In our time, the emergence of "extreme" sports together with the de-Christianizing of society is no coincidence.)

On the other hand, Pope St. Pius X, in 1908, not only lent his support to the now-reformed Olympics in London, but personally launched a revival of athletics in the Christian world when only 1 percent of the population participated in organized sports.

"I believe God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." - Eric Liddell

Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Personally I believe the best thing to happen in fair Albion was the Druids ...

Christianity was part of it's downfall.
Agreed. They probably invented whisky first, despite what those monks said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies