Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
His whole paper is uploaded on his site so it is available for anyone with a global warming bias to peer review, not just the established journals
That's not how it works. If he wants to gain credibility with his paper, he must submit it to a refereed science journal like EVERYONE ELSE. He appears to believe that he is special because he has a pundant web site masquerading as a science site. That's not how it works either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
That's not how it works. If he wants to gain credibility with his paper, he must submit it to a refereed science journal like EVERYONE ELSE. He appears to believe that he is special because he has a pundant web site masquerading as a science site. That's not how it works either.
Quote:
The pre-release of this paper follows the practice embraced by Dr. Richard Muller, of the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project in a June 2011 interview with Scientific American’s Michael Lemonick in “Science Talk”, said:

I know that is prior to acceptance, but in the tradition that I grew up in (under Nobel Laureate Luis Alvarez) we always widely distributed “preprints” of papers prior to their publication or even submission. That guaranteed a much wider peer review than we obtained from mere referees.
New study shows half of the global warming in the USA is artificial | Watts Up With That?

Nobody on the pro-warming side says Muller has less credibility, he's being lauded in this thread for turning sides. Watts does the same thing Muller did, but somehow his credibility is questioning?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
New study shows half of the global warming in the USA is artificial | Watts Up With That?

Nobody on the pro-warming side says Muller has no credibility, he's being lauded in this thread for turning sides. Watts does the same thing Muller did, but somehow his credibility is questioning?
Great, then we can expect Watt's paper to be published in a reputable peer reviewed science journal very soon, RIGHT?

You realize, of course that Watt has a BS. in broadcast meteorology, and is not actually a climate scientist, right?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Great, then we can expect Watt's paper to be published in a reputable peer reviewed science journal very soon, RIGHT?

You realize, of course that Watt has a BS. in broadcast meteorology, and is not actually a climate scientist, right?
So what do appeals to authority have to do with this? Al Gore does not have a Ph. D. in climate science yet he is regarded as the father of the global warming movement, or does a degree in a non-relevant field only apply to certain individuals? Sounds like to me you're another "you don't know anything if you don't have a degree in climate research and don't agree with mainstream opinion . We've seen these responses left and right, before. If I say I believe in global warming, and I don't have a degree in climate research, I'm still regarded as intelligent and enlightened. If I say I don't believe it, I get questioned if I have a degree in climate research. Mind stop moving the goal posts? How is Al Gore any more intelligent than Watts, and Al Gore has a B.A. in government. At least Watts has a Bachelor of Science degree, not a Bachelor of Arts, he also trained to be a lawyer but dropped out of law school.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
So what do appeals to authority have to do with this? Al Gore does not have a Ph. D. in climate science yet he is regarded as the father of the global warming movement,
Only to climate deniers. The rest of us fully understand that Al Gore is a politician who just happens to have an interest in climate change, and has the cahones to speak up about it.

Quote:
or does a degree in a non-relevant field only apply to certain individuals? Sounds like to me you're another "you don't know anything if you don't have a degree in climate research and don't agree with mainstream opinion.
Not at all. But the fact remains that the only peer reviewed paper Watt has published was rather easily refuted. Now, if he is truly interested in standing by the scientific process, he will publish his paper in a reputable peer reviewed journal and let the experts. And if yuou are truly interested in the integrity of the scientific process, you'll feel the exact same way that I do.

Quote:
We've seen these responses left and right, before. If I say I believe in global warming, and I don't have a degree in climate research, I'm still regarded as intelligent and enlightened. If I say I don't believe it, I get questioned if I have a degree in climate research. Mind stop moving the goal posts?
Not at all. What matters the most is the integrity of the scientific process. Part of that process is peer review. And if you aren't an expert in climate science, you aren't truly a peer no matter how correct your review may be. You wouldn't expect to have brain surgery conducted by a news anchor man who's sole interest in the subject is that he took an anatomy course in college, would you?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Only to climate deniers. The rest of us fully understand that Al Gore is a politician who just happens to have an interest in climate change, and has the cahones to speak up about it.

Not at all. But the fact remains that the only peer reviewed paper Watt has published was rather easily refuted. Now, if he is truly interested in standing by the scientific process, he will publish his paper in a reputable peer reviewed journal and let the experts. And if yuou are truly interested in the integrity of the scientific process, you'll feel the exact same way that I do.

Not at all. What matters the most is the integrity of the scientific process. Part of that process is peer review. And if you aren't an expert in climate science, you aren't truly a peer no matter how correct your review may be. You wouldn't expect to have brain surgery conducted by a news anchor man who's sole interest in the subject is that he took an anatomy course in college, would you?
Even more semantics and strawmen coming from you. That is all your side has. No matter who you are, if you're pro MMGW bias, welcome aboard. If you're not, what's your degree in, how many papers have you published? Why not the same level of scrutiny on your side? By the way, Watts is only the co-author of the paper. He also has Dr. John R. Christy on the roster, a climate scientist working with the University of Alabama at Huntsville, and Stephen McIntyre, a mathematician. Hardly a paper short on "qualified" authors. Anyway, if you continue your posts with appeals of authority, they will be ignored. I'm quite tired of reading the same talking points from the warmists on here.

*Watts et. al also state that the paper is to be submitted for peer review. So there's your question answered

Old 07-31-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Even more semantics and strawmen coming from you. That is all your side has. No matter who you are, if you're pro MMGW bias, welcome aboard. If you're not, what's your degree in, how many papers have you published? Why not the same level of scrutiny on your side? By the way, Watts is only the co-author of the paper. He also has Dr. John R. Christy on the roster, a climate scientist working with the University of Alabama at Huntsville, and Stephen McIntyre, a mathematician. Hardly a paper short on "qualified" authors. Anyway, if you continue your posts with appeals of authority, they will be ignored. I'm quite tired of reading the same talking points from the warmists on here.

*Watts et. al also state that the paper is to be submitted for peer review. So there's your question answered
Great, then I eagerly await publication of his paper, and seeing how it is received by his "peers".

I know who Christy is. He and Roy Spencer are buddies. McIntyre has a B.S. in Math, and has repeatedly been shown wrong on many of his claims. For instance, his claim to have found a mistake with the "hockey stick" amounted to a fraction of a percent, and had no effect whatsoever on the validity of the graph. And yet his pundants at Wattsupdoc are still sticking to their mantra that it was refuted.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Be careful. If you find out too much about Al Gore's Global Warming, Internet, and Panini Machine, he'll have his ACORN thugs take you out.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
So what do appeals to authority have to do with this? Al Gore does not have a Ph. D. in climate science yet he is regarded as the father of the global warming movement, or does a degree in a non-relevant field only apply to certain individuals? Sounds like to me you're another "you don't know anything if you don't have a degree in climate research and don't agree with mainstream opinion . We've seen these responses left and right, before. If I say I believe in global warming, and I don't have a degree in climate research, I'm still regarded as intelligent and enlightened. If I say I don't believe it, I get questioned if I have a degree in climate research. Mind stop moving the goal posts? How is Al Gore any more intelligent than Watts, and Al Gore has a B.A. in government. At least Watts has a Bachelor of Science degree, not a Bachelor of Arts, he also trained to be a lawyer but dropped out of law school.
As far I know, Al Gore has not performed any scientific research, unlike Watts and Muller. Al Gore is not regarded as the father of the global warming movement, actual climate scientists (and some in related fields) are. Al Gore has only presented scientists' findings to the public, with some degree of distortion.

There have been plenty of others besides Muller who have found that poor station quality does not change average temperature. Maybe Watts is right and is showing something new, I don't know but I doubt it. He was previously shown to be wrong:

Clear Climate Code » Blog Archive » The 1990s station dropout does not have a warming effect

Message to Anthony Watts | Open Mind

If you believe in global warming, that does not mean you are necessarily regarded as enlightened. You can still be regarded as an idiot (see first half for the pro-warming idiot).

Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Let's not forget the huge financial incentives. A derivative market on carbon trading makes our current derivative market appear tiny. That's saying alot.

Media Ignore Al Gore’s Financial Ties to Global Warming

Al Gore could become world's first carbon billionaire - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies