Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times

Advertisements

There is ZERO dispute that the climate is changing, specifically warming with more severe weather. Average summer high temps where I live a few degrees warmer than just when I was a child. Major storm events that used to happen once a decade are happening every year.

But honestly if it is man made nothing will be done about it. Even if the West cut back CO2 emissions 100% China and India would be putting out enough to make up the difference anyway. The focus should be on how to deal with the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not saying that this permanently seals all aspects of the debate...but I'm just sayin...

About-face: Former climate change skeptic now says global warming is man-made | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

But I'm sure the armchair quarterbacks who got struggled through basic college (if they got through at all) and rely on Rush Limbaugh for their expert scientific knowledge will not think twice about it.

Here, you can read his own words:
I was a climate change denier | StarTribune.com
Muller has thought CO2 caused global warming back in 2003:

Let me be clear. My own reading of the literature and study of paleoclimate suggests strongly that carbon dioxide from burning of fossil fuels will prove to be the greatest pollutant of human history. It is likely to have severe and detrimental effects on global climate. I would love to believe that the results of Mann et al. are correct, and that the last few years have been the warmest in a millennium.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:54 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
WILLIAM I. AUSICH, ALAN GOLDSTEIN,
and RON YATES
CRINOIDS FROM THE MULDRAUGH MEMBER OF THE BORDEN FORMATION IN NORTH-CENTRAL KENTUCKY (ECHINODERMATA, LOWER MISSISSIPPIAN) Journal of Paleontology, November 2000, v. 74, p. 1072-1082,

I'm one of those authors.

Crinoids from the Muldraugh member of the Borden Formation in north-central Kentucky (echinodermata, Lower Mississippian) - Journal of Paleontology | HighBeam Research

Any questions.
I have one.

Please respond to your previous claim concerning the NOAA having the best response concerning the Watts paper. As I said, it was 2009 when that was made, but Watts has only recently released his paper for review.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:30 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I have one.

Please respond to your previous claim concerning the NOAA having the best response concerning the Watts paper. As I said, it was 2009 when that was made, but Watts has only recently released his paper for review.
I was referring to his earlier paper. There is no point in responding to his new paper since it has yet to be published.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I was referring to his earlier paper. There is no point in responding to his new paper since it has yet to be published.
I commented on that as well. The NOAA reviewed a "midterm census" report that that used old data. Basically, they released an internal memo in the NCDC using that incomplete report that was on his site and used it in an NOAA paper for rebuttal and initially didn't even provide an author citation on the "rebuttal".

NCDC writes ghost “talking points” rebuttal to surfacestations project | Watts Up With That?

Watt's later release of the complete report showed the NOAA's analysis to be exactly what it was, a premature response to an incomplete report, but we know why they did that as at the time, there was a lot of heat on them from officials concerning the poor station management.

Unfortunately, this was all quietly ignored and the initial flawed analysis is still passed around.

As for Watt's actual "paper" (not a midterm census report), it already had a healthy public review and should be hitting the journals fairly soon.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
From Pielke, usually considered a climate "skeptic":

Summary Of Two Game-Changing Papers – Watts Et al 2012 and McNider Et Al 2012 | Climate Science: Roger Pielke Sr.

There has been discussion as to whether the Time of Observation Bias (TOB) could affect the conclusions reached in Watts et al (2012). This is a valid concern. Thus the “Game Changing” finding of whether the trends are actually different for well- and poorly-sited locations is tenative until it is shown whether or not TOB alters the conclusions. The issue, however, is not easy to resolve.

Until those issues are dealt with, I think we shouldn't make too many conclusions off of Watts' paper.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Also, the issue is global warming not US warming. The US is a small fraction of the global area. Not saying the accuracy of American weather station is unimportant, but we shouldn't miss the big picture.

Satellite data correlates rather well with recent surface temperature data, with the exception satellite data is more responsive to El Niño / La Niña cycles.

The satellite data seems quite convincing to me over the past 30 years and bounds the potential impact of contamination of surface stations, a point made in a CA post on Berkeley last fall here. Prior to the satellite period, station histories are “proxies” of varying quality. Over the continental US, the UAH satellite record shows a trend of 0.29 deg C/decade (TLT) from 1979-2008, significantly higher than their GLB land trend of 0.173 deg C/decade. Over land, amplification is negligible.

Surface Stations « Climate Audit

Old 08-04-2012, 10:42 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,104,044 times
don't worry, there's always someone out there who will be a public denier for a few easy bucks...

Old 08-04-2012, 10:49 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I commented on that as well. The NOAA reviewed a "midterm census" report that that used old data.
If you had read the link I provided, you would have discovered that they also commented specifically on Watt's paper.

I will also point out that BEST came to the same conclusion as did NOAA, NCDC, GIS, and CRU. This discussion is pointless.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From Pielke, usually considered a climate "skeptic":

Summary Of Two Game-Changing Papers – Watts Et al 2012 and McNider Et Al 2012 | Climate Science: Roger Pielke Sr.

There has been discussion as to whether the Time of Observation Bias (TOB) could affect the conclusions reached in Watts et al (2012). This is a valid concern. Thus the “Game Changing” finding of whether the trends are actually different for well- and poorly-sited locations is tenative until it is shown whether or not TOB alters the conclusions. The issue, however, is not easy to resolve.

Until those issues are dealt with, I think we shouldn't make too many conclusions off of Watts' paper.
I don't think anyone is making conclusions here... well... some are, but they are the same conclusions that have been made long before any research was applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies