Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times

Advertisements

Not saying that this permanently seals all aspects of the debate...but I'm just sayin...

About-face: Former climate change skeptic now says global warming is man-made | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

But I'm sure the armchair quarterbacks who got struggled through basic college (if they got through at all) and rely on Rush Limbaugh for their expert scientific knowledge will not think twice about it.

Quote:
Richard A. Muller, a physics professor at the University of California-Berkeley, announced over the weekend that his much-publicized investigation into climate data has found that humans' production of carbon dioxide is causing the world to slowly warm up. And this process could speed up dramatically in the coming years.

Muller took matters into his own hands and embarked on his own investigation into the data with his daughter Elizabeth and a team of scientists two years ago. His Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project attracted funding from the Charles Koch Charitable Foundation, the nonprofit outfit of a wealthy businessman who denies that global warming is happening. Three years later, Muller ended up surprising himself when his research confirmed everything those same studies that drew his skepticism concluded, and then some. Muller says his study's results are more reliable than many previous ones because he intentionally avoided the data pitfalls he objected to, such as only using a portion of the global temperatures available.

"I'm personally very worried," he says of global warming. Muller says that so far the warming has been "tiny," but that everything points to the process speeding up. "I personally suspect that it will be bad."

Here, you can read his own words:
I was a climate change denier | StarTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
The really funny thing is that Muller never really was a skeptic. He was honest in his critisim of Gores movie but skeptic? not exactly.

In any case Anthony Watts has also published a new study (neither has been peer reviewed yet) that undermines this study a bit. Both men agree that the earth has warmed. they disagree on how much mainly because Muller was not working with the new approach to the data that Watts' study points to.

New study shows half of the global warming in the USA is artificial | Watts Up With That?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:50 AM

The following is from Roger Pielke Sr. who is a noted and distinguished climate scientist with hundreds of Peer reviewed papers to his credit.

Comments On The Game Changer New Paper “An Area And Distance Weighted Analysis Of The Impacts Of Station Exposure On The U.S. Historical Climatology Network Temperatures And Temperature Trends” By Watts Et Al 2012 | Climate Science: Roger

"In direct contradiction to Richard Muller’s BEST study, the new Watts et al 2012 paper has very effectively shown that a substantive warm bias exists even in the mean temperature trends. "

Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The really funny thing is that Muller never really was a skeptic. He was honest in his critisim of Gores movie but skeptic? not exactly.

In any case Anthony Watts has also published a new study (neither has been peer reviewed yet) that undermines this study a bit. Both men agree that the earth has warmed. they disagree on how much mainly because Muller was not working with the new approach to the data that Watts' study points to.

New study shows half of the global warming in the USA is artificial | Watts Up With That?
No, he was not an admitted skeptic, by his own admission, he was an out and out DENIER.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 PM

Judith Curry, another esteemed Climate Scientist who was a co-author in Muller's first paper refused to participate in the second and evidently provided a very critical review of the same.

Here is a quote from her:
I was invited to be a coauthor on the new paper. I declined. I gave them my review of the paper, which was highly critical. I don’t think this new paper adds anything to our understanding of attribution of the warming….
I really like the data set itself. It is when they do science with it that they get into trouble.

This is the link to Andy Revkins blog where the above quote came from
'Converted' Skeptic: Humans Driving Recent Warming - NYTimes.com

Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No, he was not an admitted skeptic, by his own admission, he was an out and out DENIER.
Makes a nice story Mr. Sick.... however those of us who have been following the topic for more than the last fifteen minutes know the truth. Muller has been scathing of bad science and in that vein a skeptic of sorts...

"It is ironic if some people treat me as a traitor, since I was never a skeptic -- only a scientific skeptic," he said in a recent email exchange with The Huffington Post. "Some people called me a skeptic because in my best-seller 'Physics for Future Presidents' I had drawn attention to the numerous scientific errors in the movie 'An Inconvenient Truth.' But I never felt that pointing out mistakes qualified me to be called a climate skeptic."

or if you like...
Medieval Global Warming - Technology Review
(note the byline Dec 17 2003)

"Let me be clear. My own reading of the literature and study of paleoclimate suggests strongly that carbon dioxide from burning of fossil fuels will prove to be the greatest pollutant of human history. It is likely to have severe and detrimental effects on global climate. I would love to believe that the results of Mann et al. are correct, and that the last few years have been the warmest in a millennium."

Muller was never what you all a "denier". He was always skeptical of all sides and pushed forward with some good work. What isn't good in his most recent work is this idea that all the warming is man made. Many scientists, warmists, lukewarmers and skeptics alike agree with me.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
The really funny thing is that in Muller's own op ed, he calls himself a former "denier"...sooooo....

Written by Anthony Muller - entitled "I WAS A CLIMATE CHANGE DENIER."

First paragraph:
Quote:
"Call me a converted skeptic. Three years ago, I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, after an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real. I'm now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause."

Last edited by ambient; 07-31-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The really funny thing is that in Muller's own op ed, he calls himself a former "denier"...sooooo....

Written by Anthony Muller - entitled "I WAS A CLIMATE CHANGE DENIER."

First paragraph:

Read the post above that Ferd provided putting Muller's comment in context.

Nobody thought Muller to be a skeptic until certain elements labeled him as such in order to promote his BEST paper (which by the way was rejected in peer review). Everyone in the field who has dealt with him and his work know he has always been a consensus monkey and very strongly on the side of the CAGW position.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Makes a nice story Mr. Sick.... however those of us who have been following the topic for more than the last fifteen minutes know the truth. Muller has been scathing of bad science and in that vein a skeptic of sorts...

"It is ironic if some people treat me as a traitor, since I was never a skeptic -- only a scientific skeptic," he said in a recent email exchange with The Huffington Post. "Some people called me a skeptic because in my best-seller 'Physics for Future Presidents' I had drawn attention to the numerous scientific errors in the movie 'An Inconvenient Truth.' But I never felt that pointing out mistakes qualified me to be called a climate skeptic."

or if you like...
Medieval Global Warming - Technology Review
(note the byline Dec 17 2003)

"Let me be clear. My own reading of the literature and study of paleoclimate suggests strongly that carbon dioxide from burning of fossil fuels will prove to be the greatest pollutant of human history. It is likely to have severe and detrimental effects on global climate. I would love to believe that the results of Mann et al. are correct, and that the last few years have been the warmest in a millennium."

Muller was never what you all a "denier". He was always skeptical of all sides and pushed forward with some good work. What isn't good in his most recent work is this idea that all the warming is man made. Many scientists, warmists, lukewarmers and skeptics alike agree with me.
I always thought him to be a warmer, just giving the appearance of being impartial. If you look into his research, how he words things, he has a tendency to push a certain conclusive bias and if you have caught him in interviews, it becomes more apparent.

Dr. Curry is much more skeptical than he is and she is still pretty much a strong CAGW position.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not saying that this permanently seals all aspects of the debate...but I'm just sayin...

About-face: Former climate change skeptic now says global warming is man-made | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

But I'm sure the armchair quarterbacks who got struggled through basic college (if they got through at all) and rely on Rush Limbaugh for their expert scientific knowledge will not think twice about it.

Here, you can read his own words:
Ross McKitrick - Home

Quote:
On March 8 2012 I was asked by JGR to review a revised version of the Wickham et al. paper. I submitted my review at the end of March. The authors had made very few changes and had not addressed any of the methodological problems, so I recommended the paper not be published. I do not know what the journal's decision was, but it is 4 months later and I can find no evidence on the BEST website that this or any other BEST project paper has been accepted for publication. [Update July 30: JGR told me "This paper was rejected and the editor recommended that the author resubmit it as a new paper."]
His paper was rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies