Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We hate what his policies are doing to our country, we hate it when his wife thinks it's her job to lobby the senate to push her views on nutrition onto the nation, but we don't hate the Obama's personally.

As to Romney, unless you lived in his state while he was governor, his policies have not impacted you at all. So trying to compare Obama to Romney is silly, since Romney has had zero impact on your lives.
If you think Romneycare has had no impact on your life, you know nothing about politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I can point to tea party members on this board that have called the First Lady many names. I have never said anything negative about Laura Bush. Tea party members on this very forum have called the President many racist names. Tea party members in my state have told racist jokes about the President on radio stations. I could find and post many tea party leaders saying racist things but you already know that.

Surprise, Surprise: Tea Party Leader Tells Racist ‘Joke’ at Arkansas Rally | Clutch Magazine
Who are the Tea Party members on this forum?

BTW I read your link about the joke at the Arkansas Tea Party rally and it wasn't racist. Racial yes, racist no.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you think Romneycare has had no impact on your life, you know nothing about politics
Good grief, grasped at straws lately?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, there is a deep disdain for the policies of Obama and the completly out of touch disregard Michelle has for Americans in this economy when she takes her lavish vacations (accompanied by a herd of friends) at taxpayer expense or when she tells parents what they should allow their children to eat.

Really, I think the projection of hate and the use of the term by Progressives is quite telling. Progressives make it personal. Speaking for myself, as a Conservative Independent, it is all about the policies and behavior, not about the person or the First Family.
Repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
All first ladies get lots of crap from the media. I think Michelle Obama has gotten way more than the usual amount. Laura Bush got hardly any. I think we should treat our first ladies better, regardless of party. .
Laura Bush took similar trips. Laura had her literacy issue. Most all modern first ladies have had their issues, though I'm at a loss to come up with Barbara Bush's. Nancy Reagan had "Just say no".

Kinda funny to talk about "progresives" while castigating Michelle Obama on a personal level.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
I don't hate Romney or Obama. I disagree with things in both of their platforms. In November, I plan to vote for the one I think has something concrete to help unemployment, the economy and the ever growing national debt.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
To my fellow liberals:

This question's been on my mind the past week, and I thought I'd ask. We all know that they deny it, but face it: A significant portion of American conservatives have a deep hatred of the president and his wife. And I was just curious about how you--my fellow left of centre posters--felt about Romney. Do you hate him as much as conservatives hate the Obamas? (I'm not really getting the same vibe I saw in 2008 toward Obama, myself) How will you react if he is elected? How upset will you be?

Personally, I think they're nice people who have their hearts in the right place...but they're just out of touch with what it's like for Americans of average means in this country. I won't be voting for him, But I've never thought the Romneys were bad people--as opposed to many other leading conservative personalities. If Romney was elected, I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't go apoplectic the way the right did when Obama was elected.

So what do you think?
I don't hate Romney. I just don't support him or most republicans for the presidency which the exception of a few.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

BTW I read your link about the joke at the Arkansas Tea Party rally and it wasn't racist. Racial yes, racist no.
Do your own research. They know who they are and so do I. The joke of coarse was not racist to you. Conservative don't think the "N" word is racist. Nothing is racist enough for your side.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Fidel Castro?
Made me go too....Don't see what the big deal is about Castro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

That joke was racist. You might be a racist if....."you didn't think that joke was racist." The latter was my attempt at a "racial" joke (did not speak of your race or stereotype you in any way or compare you to another "superior" race the way that that joke did). I don't see too many things as "racist" especially not jokes, but that joke was.

To answer the OP, I am an independent but do have some liberal leanings, especially on social issues, I do not hate Romney. I don't think he is that much different from Obama but I do think he is out of touch in regards to the way regular Americans live their lives. I also think he is a good family man and I admire that, like another poster mentioned, he doesn't use his family for political gain/recognition like Sarah Palin has done and even Obama to an extent IMO (he spoke and still speaks to much about his children especially IMO and I don't think they should come up in political discussions, you rarely heard Bush speak of his twins for example when he was president and I think children of highly visible public officials should not be in the media eye).

But I didn't hate Bush either. I thought he was pretty down to earth and funny on an individual level. I think Obama is really laid back and thoughtful but I also think he has what I call a "bad as s" streak in that he will smile in your face and hurt you behind your back. I like that about Obama and am happy he is being bad ass more often lately. I see Mitt as kind of a bumbling sort of guy, not knowing which direction to go and looking for someone to tell him what to do to get as many people as he can behind him (even if that means "flip flopping"). But as a person, Romney seems like a decent enough fellow. If he wins, I won't be upset even though I won't vote for him.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM

402 posts, read 853,420 times
Default Different Styles of Criticism

There certainly are Republicans who hate Obama, but I find that most his critics have complaints that are largely policy based. For example, when Bush 43 was president, many of his critics (particularly the general public, less so from the professional press, although it was certainly still there) simply berated him by calling him an idiot, making fun of his Texas accent, and yet again calling him an idiot. Yet most of the time I hear people complain about our current President it has been more along the lines of "I don't agree with President Obama on X, Policy Y will hurt rather than help our country, etc." While I have heard people say nasty thing about him and resort to non-constructive criticism, it pales in comparison to the constant barrage of petty personal attacks President Bush faced during his eight years.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
There certainly are Republicans who hate Obama, but I find that most his critics have complaints that are largely policy based. For example, when Bush 43 was president, many of his critics (particularly the general public, less so from the professional press, although it was certainly still there) simply berated him by calling him an idiot, making fun of his Texas accent, and yet again calling him an idiot. Yet most of the time I hear people complain about our current President it has been more along the lines of "I don't agree with President Obama on X, Policy Y will hurt rather than help our country, etc." While I have heard people say nasty thing about him and resort to non-constructive criticism, it pales in comparison to the constant barrage of petty personal attacks President Bush faced during his eight years.
Are you serious? Have you been living under a rock? All this "birther" nonsense, which seems to be never-ending. All the racial stuff, calling him "Homie" and then suggesting that is a reference to "Homie the Clown"; calling him a "lying African"; saying he got into Harvard via affirmative action or other, even more nefarious ways; his supposed upbringing by communists; the horrible crap about his mother, long dead; etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies