Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
6 dollars and 20 cents for every hundred bucks i earn? Yea, the government can do better with it than i can AS A FAIRLY CHEAP INSURANCE POLICY AGAINST CATASTROPHIC ILLNESS, OLD AGE, OR INJURY!! It isn't an investment plan.

I don't believe you....and for good reason. I doubt that you're telling the truth. None of my investments have totally recovered from the losses although they're doing much better.

Fine. Then take another 6.20 for every one hundred bucks you earn and invest it since you can do so much better with it. And since you're so rich, i'm sure it'll be no big loss in disposable income.

Again, Social Security is NOT an investment vehicle, it's insurance. I don't know why some of you hardheads don't get that.

Your Savings Bond comment is ludicrous.
"I don't believe you.." Makes us even because I seldom believe anything you post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obispoman50 View Post
Nowhere in that link does it say anyone besides clergy or public workers in some states can opt out. Did you even read the link before you posted it?
No....I'm sure he didn't.

He didnt read it because just like everyone else, he's not about to opt out of Social Security. He knows better.

Moreover, no one else on this board would opt out of SS EVEN IF THEY COULD!!!

I take the stuff these folks say with a grain of salt.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Could SS have disappeared into Wall St. ledgers with 2-3% INVESTMENT?
That 2-3% is a false statement. The bush plan called for workers to contribute up to a 3rd of SS payroll taxes towards a Wall Street investment fund. Workers paid 6.5% in payroll taxes, employers paid 6.5% into the SS trust pund through payroll deductions.
In the 2008 crash when the market went from 14,000 down to 6,000, losing 1/3rd of SS funds would have essentially wiped out the entire system.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
I don't believe for a minute that C-D posters are opting out of Social Security.

In lieu of what? Your big time investments?

Every single one of you will at age 62 (or older) walk your happy asses down to the Social Security office and apply for your benefits. And you'll leave with a big smile on your faces....not to mention the jump in the air you'll do when you click your heels together in joy.

So please....gimme a break.
I waited until full retirement age of 66, was debt free and owned my retirement home. Now every 4th Wednesday the check is in my bank account and it's enough to live on if my other revenue sources dry up. Every time I read a thread on C-D where the youngins are bashing the baby boomers, I take great comfort knowing that a piece of their paycheck is going right into my bank account and I am hap-hap-happy and all their arguements and rants are moot.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I waited until full retirement age of 66, was debt free and owned my retirement home. Now every 4th Wednesday the check is in my bank account and it's enough to live on if my other revenue sources dry up. Every time I read a thread on C-D where the youngins are bashing the baby boomers, I take great comfort knowing that a piece of their paycheck is going right into my bank account and I am hap-hap-happy and all their arguements and rants are moot.
They're just being full of you know what. Trust me, these SS bashers pray like hell that they live long enough to collect. If anyone believes that these posters are all sitting on a phat wad of retirement cash outside of SS, I got a yacht in the Sahara to sell 'em.

No one wants to get rid of SS...they're just blowing smoke. Everyone that has ever been eligible to collect took their happy asses down to the SS Administration to apply....conservatives included. When I see them boycotting their benefits, THEN I'll believe it.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
I don't believe for a minute that C-D posters are opting out of Social Security.

In lieu of what? Your big time investments?

Every single one of you will at age 62 (or older) walk your happy asses down to the Social Security office and apply for your benefits. And you'll leave with a big smile on your faces....not to mention the jump in the air you'll do when you click your heels together in joy.

So please....gimme a break.
Believe it or not - your choice. I'm beyond 62 and have NOT, repeat NOT applied for any benefits - I can't - I gave them up.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Nowhere in that link does it say anyone besides clergy or public workers in some states can opt out. Did you even read the link before you posted it?
That was ONE of MANY links

Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
OK, where is the repayment by government supposed to come from?
I'm sure the left wants it to come from the 'rich'. There isn't a wealth redistribution plan they don't support.

SS is nothing but another tax. A very heavy tax.It is NOT a retirement savings plan.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Of all the links that I have found they all say the same thing. To drop out of SS you need to be in the clergy or a public employe. I looked at a lot of them. Could you tell us what you used to drop out please?
Let me just say this - I have NOT payed into SS for over 3 decades. I have been audited by IRS and everything was OK.

I have found that forums like this are NOT the place to describe what / how I did what I did. Get with a competent legal / tax counsel to explore YOUR situation.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me just say this - I have NOT payed into SS for over 3 decades. I have been audited by IRS and everything was OK.

I have found that forums like this are NOT the place to describe what / how I did what I did. Get with a competent legal / tax counsel to explore YOUR situation.
I just noticed " Pinal County"....no wonder you're coming up with this nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Believe it or not - your choice. I'm beyond 62 and have NOT, repeat NOT applied for any benefits - I can't - I gave them up.
Seriously? Because you'd be the first American in history to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I'm sure the left wants it to come from the 'rich'. There isn't a wealth redistribution plan they don't support.

SS is nothing but another tax. A very heavy tax.It is NOT a retirement savings plan.
No one but fools ever claimed it was a retirement savings plan. It's insurance, and very cheap insurance. It's not a heavy tax...sorry. If you can't afford 6.20 for every hundred bucks you earn (and it hasn't even been that much the last few years), then you've got some serious problems financially. You might need to work on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies