Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the South secede? Where are you from?
Yes - I'm a Northerner 29 20.00%
No opinion - I'm a Northerner 4 2.76%
No - I'm a Northerner 24 16.55%
Yes - I'm a Southerner 16 11.03%
No opinion - I'm a Southerner 3 2.07%
No - I'm a Southerner 31 21.38%
Yes - I'm neither 16 11.03%
No opinion - I'm neither 5 3.45%
No - I'm neither 17 11.72%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,302,787 times

Advertisements

Ask the tea party fools

Governor Perry - Texas Secession - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,354,659 times
Interesting. That was Mackinlay Kantor's denouement: three nations. The United States, The Republic of Dixie, and the Texas Republic.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
At least one Northern liberal thinks it should, and he's written a book about it.

So here's a poll. Discuss.
No, I have family there, and the reality is that many southern citizens DEPEND on the rest of the US to lift their standard of living.

Without the support of the rest of the US poverty and misery would EXPLODE in these southern states and that is an objective fact.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,037,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No, I have family there, and the reality is that many southern citizens DEPEND on the rest of the US to lift their standard of living.

Without the support of the rest of the US poverty and misery would EXPLODE in these southern states and that is an objective fact.
Objective?? I do not see your statements as objective. Think for a moment about the increasing industry, cities, agriculture, and even tourism the South garners. Perhaps you are basing your opinions on a small cross-section of the South or a stereotype but you insinuate that we in the South have only seen successes due to the help of other states. I consider this to be a rather short-sighted view of the South.

I really tire of these threads that do nothing more than increase prejudice and erroneous viewpoints of the South. Based on the results of this poll, it seems it is not Southerners that perpetuate the myth that we still want to secede. Shoot, I live in the one the friendliest cities in the nation. Y'all should visit sometime and see that we're a wonderful place!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,492,467 times
I'm a social liberal/moderate and I totally concur with the idea.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,354,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Objective?? I do not see your statements as objective. Think for a moment about the increasing industry, cities, agriculture, and even tourism the South garners. Perhaps you are basing your opinions on a small cross-section of the South or a stereotype but you insinuate that we in the South have only seen successes due to the help of other states. I consider this to be a rather short-sighted view of the South.

I really tire of these threads that do nothing more than increase prejudice and erroneous viewpoints of the South. Based on the results of this poll, it seems it is not Southerners that perpetuate the myth that we still want to secede. Shoot, I live in the one the friendliest cities in the nation. Y'all should visit sometime and see that we're a wonderful place!
Amen. You are a breath of fresh air.

p.s. My wife and I visited Charleston a few years ago and fell in love with the area. Now that we're ready to retire, we're wondering about real estate affordability in Mt. Pleasant.

PM me when you get a chance, will you? 'Preciate it!

--- Yeledaf (Yankee, but not a fanatic about it)

Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Ever been in the military? In combat?

Never mind. I know the answer just from your flippant and disrespectful post.
Of course i was in the military, but that's neither here nor there. And NO...never in combat. And i'm damn proud of that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Plenty of blacks and hispanics in the military. Seriously doubt they woul side with a Confederacy.
You got that right. I don't think black folks would be very comfortable placing their trust in the likes of Jeff "Beauregard" Sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Again, why do you assume that a seceded South would emulate the discredited principles of the Confederacy, like slavery?

The South of 2012 is not the South of 1861.

Have you ever been to the South? To Atlanta? Charleston? Nashville? These are progressive, dynamic cities. No one that I know in the South wants to bring back slavery.
All of the south isn't made up of cities. And Atlanta and Charleston are dynamic to a degree, but Nashville? Really?

I agree, the south isn't interested in bringing back slavery. But still, i wouldn't trust my black hide to southern white Republicans. Hell no.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I believe I stated the very same thing.

Please link me to any false information I've stated about the war between the states. I'll be waiting.

And I had one ancestor who fought with johnson in the army of the tennessee. He surrendered in the carolinas. he walked all the way back to arkansas, barefoot. I had relatives tortured, robbed, and killed by union troops occupying this part of arkansas. I had other ancestors, german immigrants, who fought for the union. What's your point?

I am not advocating violence. Considering the state of this union I simply believe it is inevitable.
Actually the army of the Tennessee changed its name to the army of the Mississippi shortly after its inception, and it wasn't commanded by Johnson until 1864.

Your family didn't fight in anything, hell if they did you were lied to about it. Sounds Pike you're a modern day whirlte supremacist trying to make hay of nothing you know anything about.

You might be from Arkansas, but you don't know enough about a war you seem to wish to restart.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM

990 posts, read 940,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
At least one Northern liberal thinks it should, and he's written a book about it.

So here's a poll. Discuss.

Frankly, the South is a drain on the economy and provides nothing to the nation other than backwards thinking and idiotic politicans. There are a few pockets in the South that have value, but the most of it is just a cesspool of racism, ignorance and welfare.

Most of the states which receive more money than they contribute are in the South.

Seriously, other than skewing the national discourse far to the right (Abortion, Gay Marriage, Prayer in Schools, Anti-Evolution nonsense), what do Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, etc. bring to the states which actually drive the economy like California, Washington State, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania and Mass.?

If you can tell me 1 reason why California should be financially supporting Mississippi and its idiotic populace, I'll change my opinion, but I guarantee that there is nothing of value which Mississippi provides to California.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
Speaking as a southerner with southern ancestry, I'm going to say my southern ancestry has no bearing whatsoever on my ability to see the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies