Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Perhaps Pete could also find blame in a liberal government pandering for senior votes and throwing more and more money at them with these funds for endless wheel chairs, scooters, teeth, spa treatments hip replacements, knees and much, much more. Was not the "greedy" seniors, they were just taking what was handed out to them by the liberals. Creates such an entitlement mentality. Pete will get something and he has time to save up more, unlike those over 60.

Some 96 year olds will take out of ss far, far more than they ever paid in and are sitting in luxury in very nice retirement homes.....just sayin.
So if a, say, 70 year old needs a knee replacement or spend the next 10 years or so in a wheelchair you pick the wheelchair? Or a cornea implant so they can continue to see they should be allowed to go blind?

Visit an assisted living/nursing home sometime, the vast majority aren't "luxurious". The facility receives those Social Security payments and any shortfall (and there always is) is made up from the resident's pocket (or in some states the patient's children are responsible for payment). Any assets must be liquidated (unless co-held by a spouse) to cover payment, any assests transferred to a child must have fallen outside the 5 year look back period. Once the liquidated assests are expended then the patient might be eligible for Medicaid. In some states any assests remaining must be turned over to the state for Medicaid reimbursement. And in some states the deceased patient's children/survivors are responsible for any shortfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
New amnesty plan that will drain us faster.........there's a plan alright make America broken!!
"And happening as you type" We are already drained, can you imagine another 4 yrs, i can't imagine how bad off we will be with Obama and Dumb A-- once again.

And keeping to his agenda, keep the people down, helpless and dependent. Wow what a plan.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
So many stood up for this country, paid the ultimate price and never collected what they paid into SS or Medicare. How many living off their blood in this country crying are emotionally immature enough to fear they won't get what they want. The world continues to change so who knows what programs will be in place when/if Medicare goes away, it may well be a better system. If the generations would work together, maybe the young wouldn't be so full of imagined paper tigers. It is beyond silly to cry about such imaginations. The world will be what you make it.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess you missed the part where he's been paying into those sytems since 1965, so entitlement isn't really a strong enough word is it? Something akin to a legally binding agreement would be more like it unless you agree with the concept of lying and fraud.

And I've been paying since 1979!@! Old codger was kvetching about his poor grandchildren being saddled with debt, but he's not about to offer part of his soc security check to pay more for his entitlements.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Default The real two problems

When do we get around to the real two problems?

#1 Shrinking the heck out of government and the number of attached employees and...
#2 Denying access to all but the disabled and elderly long term regarding social programs (EBT, WELFARE) and all that?[/quote]

Shrinking the heck out of govt & #of employees: Gary Johnson would cut everything 43%, because we borrow 43 cents of each dollar. No more borrowing. Balanced budget to be presented to Congress 1st year. 1/3 of all jobs are govt jobs. If average govt job paid double the average wage, then taxpayers would have to pay 100% of income to cover govt employees salaries. If other source is available, is it Federal Reserve printing up more money or what?

EBT I know someone who has that, under $200 a month. He hasn't applied for disability, so don't know if he can get it. He's thinking about committing suicide almost always. The only way he can be better is smoking cannabis, which most police & pols either believe or pretend to believe is one of the worst things ever. Our crazy drug laws are not based on any medical facts or what used to be our Constitutional rights. When Feds announce more money for fighting drugs is available, 50 govt depts apply.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
How long are people expected to pick up the tab for "adult" children?

Maybe if those "children" gave back to the people who paid for them, the older folks wouldn't need SS and Medicare.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 PM

464 posts, read 479,191 times
There can only be one solution for the over 55 crowd: DEATH PANELS!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Spare me the respect for your elders crap. Respect is earned and since the majority of my elders have zero respect for the younger generations, they have a long way to go before they have earned anything.

I also know that my parents are not greedy bastards that would endorse a plan that protects every penny of their government handouts while gleefully screwing over their children and grandchildren. I guess that is what makes them different from the majority of the seniors that demand a lifetime of government handouts at current levels while backing plans to take them away from everyone else.
Have you asked your parents how they feel about Obama's plan to give amnesty to 800,000 who will be able to bring their families in in two years to share in the benefits we have worked for. Ask them if they think it makes sense that when you can't take care of your own people you invite more in.

Am I greedy to want the benefits I paid into and to also want them for my children who will be paying in too? Or is Obama greedy for allowing more people onto the doles knowing we can't take care of our own citizens?

Libs are being sold this bill of goods in the name of votes and they don't even see it. And to make it worse Obama is pitting children against their own parents. My parents weren't greedy and neither am I. I want my kids to come before those brought in to provide votes for the status quo.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Another lie that I cannot let pass. Virtually EVERY estate is exempt to the estate tax. The current exemption is $5.125 million. How many ppl you know with an estate bigger than that? Keep in mind EVERY estate no matter how large receives that exemption.

The purpose of the tax is to collect taxes on unrealized capital gains on the assets of the estate. If your estate owned stock with a million dollar cost basis and it grew to ten million you would owe a capital gains tax on that nine million gain if you sold BEFORE you died. If it is transferred after your death that nine million MINUS that five million exemption would be taxed. Also, think about, EVERY time money changes owners it becomes income for the mew owner and income is subject to taxation. Why would money transfer from one generation of a family to another generation be exempt from taxation? Those kids didn't work for and earn that money, their parents did. What about inheritances that go from a family out to other families or organizations? Without that tax what those ppl and organizations would be getting free money, tax free. Hardly seems fair, seeing every dollar I get is subject to a tax....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
By the way, when people die (usually the older ones) their estates are taxed to hell and back through the death tax to the government despite the fact that the estate they had was already grown after they paid taxes on that money.

TAX TAX TAX TAX...

Makes no sense. So they do put their money where their mouth is not only by their sacrafices in life for their families but also through the consfiscation of their property by the governmnet after death.

When do we get around to the real two problems?

#1 Shrinking the heck out of government and the number of attached employees and...
#2 Denying access to all but the disabled and elderly long term regarding social programs (EBT, WELFARE) and all that?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
read 1st page only.... Right after 911 one of Clintons Gals came on FOX and said 911 would never have happened if guns were not allowed in private hands. I spent more than 800 dollars buying 2 AK-47's, and consider that putting my money where my mouth is.

Now if you lefties would quit taxing every single thing i buy i would have more money to buy more guns and put more money where my mouth is.

Perhaps the 55+ should consider a new voting age that begins at 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies