Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falsetto Pete View Post
You're one of those hippocritical right wingers who hate all government except the part you benefit from. The vast bulk of government spending is in entitlements and defense. If you all are really serious about the debt (including all the debt owed to the Chinese to satisfy your blood thirst for warmongering) give up your government benefits!

Government is never too big when it benefits you, now is it?
I guess you missed the part where he's been paying into those sytems since 1965, so entitlement isn't really a strong enough word is it? Something akin to a legally binding agreement would be more like it unless you agree with the concept of lying and fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
There was no such thing as texting when I went to school. thanks for the info.
When I grew up if you heard gunshots you ran the other way. I guess nowdays folks gotta wait for a text before acting. lol

Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I hope you know that typical _monthly_ medicare premiums are in the triple digits. and it has to be paid every month- that's right 12x a year, so it's not a cadillac plan especially when you consider lifelong contributions into it. it 's auto-deducted from seniors' monthly social security direct deposit.
Simply allowing medicare to negotiate lower drug prices the way Walmart or any other store does (where bulk purchases in volume get you big price discounts) would save medicare ~25%-33% per year. Good luck getting that passed though because industry lobbyists practically own the Republicans and several key conservative Democrats in Congress. The drug industry loves that they sucker taxpayers into paying 4-10 times the fair market rate for their drugs and their lobbyists are there with campaign donations to make sure they never lose all those subsidies.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 PM

43 posts, read 31,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess you missed the part where he's been paying into those sytems since 1965, so entitlement isn't really a strong enough word is it? Something akin to a legally binding agreement would be more like it unless you agree with the concept of lying and fraud.
Plenty of people have been paying in and a lot of them are getting more back in benefits than they paid in. The reality is that these entitlements, along with defense spending, are the largest expenditures of the federal government. If folks are going to complain about government deficits and debt, they must be willing to take a hit to fix it. Period.

I'm under 55 and have contributed to the "system" for over 20 years and will probably not get a dime back.

While the govt. continues to take $$$ from me that I'll never get back to pay benefits to these "greedy seniors," I have to make other preparations for future economic stability while listening to the geezer crowd crow about big government.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Simply allowing medicare to negotiate lower drug prices the way Walmart or any other store does (where bulk purchases in volume get you big price discounts) would save medicare ~25%-33% per year. Good luck getting that passed though because industry lobbyists practically own the Republicans and several key conservative Democrats in Congress. The drug industry loves that they sucker taxpayers into paying 4-10 times the fair market rate for their drugs and their lobbyists are there with campaign donations to make sure they never lose all those subsidies.
The Dems had their chance to do that with Obamacare. Not one Repub voted for it and Pelosi and Reid owned that bill.

But they didn't do that. Instead they let big Pharma wine and dine them and big Pharma walked away with some juicy pork when it came to generic drugs and them losing their patent rights.
The release of the internal emails shows how the WH took the side of big Pharma in 2009.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times
Quote:

While the govt. continues to take $$$ from me that I'll never get back to pay benefits to these "greedy seniors," I have to make other preparations for future economic stability while listening to the geezer crowd crow about big government.
Greedy seniors? how arrogant, obnoxious and naive. You should be bi***ing about Obama spending money like it is a never ending source of income instead. Mr President, the well has run dry. What are you going to do about it? Or was that you plan?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:37 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Greedy seniors? how arrogant, obnoxious and naive. You should be bi***ing about Obama spending money like it is a never ending source of income instead. Mr President, the well has run dry. What are you going to do about it? Or was that you plan?
New amnesty plan that will drain us faster.........there's a plan alright make America broken!!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
You're one of those hippocritical right wingers who hate all government except the part you benefit from. The vast bulk of government spending is in entitlements and defense. If you all are really serious about the debt (including all the debt owed to the Chinese to satisfy your blood thirst for warmongering) give up your government benefits!

Government is never too big when it benefits you, now is it?
How many years have you been paying into Social Security, Pete? I have been doing it since 1943 and surely that should do something for me. Yes, I still work, some, and do get to pay SS on every penny. You may see SS as an entitlement since most Dems do that but when we have paid in for so long, surely we have something coming back.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,358 times
Seniors are too greedy to do anything that might reduce their own government handouts by a single penny. As long as they get what they want, seniors couldn't care less about what happens to the country and the people that are younger than they are.

That is why the Ryan plan to kill Social Security and Medicare specifically exempts people older than 55. Even the most extremist right wing Republican understands that the elderly Tea Partiers would break out the pitchforks if their handout checks were reduced by even a tiny amount.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many years have you been paying into Social Security, Pete? I have been doing it since 1943 and surely that should do something for me. Yes, I still work, some, and do get to pay SS on every penny. You may see SS as an entitlement since most Dems do that but when we have paid in for so long, surely we have something coming back.
You didn't answer his question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies