Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Perhaps you're just weak. A real atheist may think you are not conforming to their Darwinistic principles.

A real atheist may feel compelled to take advantage of their ideology.

Why should they live a life of suffering to appease those who they feel exhibit parastic behavior?

If a fully atheist group is in a powerful position, why would they need you? What do you do that is beneficial enough for them to let you live?

A little more than half a century ago, men were sticking people in ovens.
Funny that you mention that. Christians have an extensive history of not letting other people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM

775 posts, read 741,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Perhaps you're just weak. A real atheist may think you are not conforming to their Darwinistic principles.

A real atheist may feel compelled to take advantage of their ideology.

Why should they live a life of suffering to appease those who they feel exhibit parastic behavior?

If a fully atheist group is in a powerful position, why would they need you? What do you do that is beneficial enough for them to let you live?

A little more than half a century ago, men were sticking people in ovens.
First off, you commit a gross strawman distortion against a group of people that merely are not theists. At no point are atheism and social darwinism related.

On quite the contrary, social darwinists tend to be laisez faire conservative Christians.

Secondly, I find it disturbing that you just assume morality cannot exist without divine reward and punishment. Reeks of an incredible lack of altruism to me.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM

170 posts, read 203,467 times
Americans showing five-fold increase in immorality and apathy to a great good.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:00 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
I'll chime in. First let me say that while I was baptized Catholic, I didn't become a full fledged Catholic until right before my wife and I got married. I did it to make it easier for myself and my wife to be married. She was in fact a full fledged Catholic, and I wanted to be with her so I went through with communion and confirmation. I on the other hand did not grow up in a religious home. My parents divorced when I was really young, and my mom had gotten fed up with the Catholic Church, because of the whole enullment issue. She did not ask for, nor wanted the divorce, and of course though the Church made her feel bad about it anyway. At any rate, I am glad that she let me did decide!

2nd I have always believed in God as well as the message of Jesus Christ. I am by no means a stupid and illogical individual. In fact I use the knowledge gained from science to further reinforce my belief in a higher power. At any rate, I think the message is much simpler than we make it out to be, and having said that is IMO where religion comes into play in trying to keep the masses in line and the cause of many problems. What I mean is, man can and does twist it suit his agenda. To not believe that people twist it is just crazy? My interpretation of the message does not allow for me to persecute someone because of skin color, religion, or whether someone is gay. Anyone who WOULD do this, is NOT doing a good job at being a Christian. Would Jesus condone discrimination, based on race, religion, or skin color? Did he not say "judge not, lest ye be judged?" Did he not say "love thy neighbor, as thy self?" Not to mention did he not stop the masses from stoning to death Mary Magdalene? Yes he did. Now don't get me wrong. I also believe in Karma, and that Karma and God go hand in hand, because you do reap what you sow. Actions do have their consequences. However; I try to live by the Golden Rule of live and let live. As I've said many of times, I'm not a saint. Not by any means. But I do think that God is a truly forgiving and loving God. But I do try my best to be the best that I can be. I feel it is up to us as individuals to seek Him out as well as Salvation. It cannot be forced, because quite simply, force is tyranny.

When it comes to violence, I am like Mr. Miyagi. I will only use force to defend myself, or my family from an attack from another person. When it comes to war, I will defend my nation, only when I see that OUR nation is under attack from a foreign force.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM

390 posts, read 265,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'll chime in. First let me say that while I was baptized Catholic, I didn't become a full fledged Catholic until right before my wife and I got married. I did it to make it easier for myself and my wife to be married.

SO you had to go through some ridiculous bs just to prove you believe in the same fairy tale she does?

Ever noticed religious people share many traits with diagnosed schizophrenics?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Americans showing five-fold increase in immorality and apathy to a great good.
And you cannot stop it. It must suck.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Just proves that more and more Americans are growing up and learning to think for themselves.
LOL..no they are not. They are letting the government legislate morals and ethics for them.

What's wrong today becomes right tomorrow with the passing of a government bill.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,842 times
Glad to see Americans stop believing in old wives tales that cause division and infringe on other people's rights.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Thank God!
Which one?

[]

Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..no they are not. They are letting the government legislate morals and ethics for them.
And you are letting the church legislate morals and ethics for you. The difference being that the church purports itself to be infallible and its morals unchanging, being accountable only to a highly passive a non-existent deity.

Wait...why are we even discussing this? The RR wishes to use the government to legislate puritan anti-sex values and homophobia. The Left just wants to ensure you have your children wear seat-belts in a moving car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Which one?

[]
All of them and none of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies