Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are atheists who are anti-abortion.

You are saying that you can draw from your own morality within to guide your life, but that atheists don't have an internal moral compass. And I'm telling you that not only are your views mistaken, but that they are also offensive. Atheists are no different from you. They have an innate morality, just like any other person. The only humans that lack an innate morality are sociopaths and psychopaths. Atheists are neither.

well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, I never posted that. Atheists believe whatever they want as there is no "Atheist doctrine".
And sure atheists can be against abortion but you never hear about them in the press..it's always those "religious fanatics/extremists".

When have you ever seen a protest about "Atheists against abortions" ?
Why would you mke such a statement without googling it first?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...abortions.html

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/pro...st-convention/

Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League Homepage

Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why would you mke such a statement without googling it first?

Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League Homepage
I didn't say there were no protest groups. I said you don't see MSM headlines about them.
The MSM portrays pro-life as religious fanatics who can't let go of their bibles.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
American Atheists: 1 in 20 Americans say they are atheists

Can this be the coming of the New Age of Enlightenment?

Not until the winguts die off. Give it about another 20 to 30 years.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I didn't say there were no protest groups. I said you don't see MSM headlines about them.
The MSM portrays pro-life as religious fanatics who can't let go of their bibles.
Mincing words does not change the facts. You implied that an atheist would not oppose abortion due to non belief in God. Clearly, that's not true and just because they don't get the media attention, does not change the fact that they are people with their own personal belief system which at times includes being anti-abortion.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Mincing words does not change the facts. You implied that an atheist would not oppose abortion due to non belief in God. Clearly, that's not true and just because they don't get the media attention, does not change the fact that they are people with their own personal belief system which at times includes being anti-abortion.
An atheist wouldn't have a conflict with their faith because they have no faith because they don't believe in a God. Their only conflict would be with themselves.

There's plenty of people who believe in God and have no problem with abortion. Their "inner morals" are not what their religion says they should be.

I'm not saying all atheists are like that. I never used the word "all".

Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
An atheist wouldn't have a conflict with their faith because they have no faith because they don't believe in a God. Their only conflict would be with themselves.

There's plenty of people who believe in God and have no problem with abortion. Their "inner morals" are not what their religion says they should be.

I'm not saying all atheists are like that. I never used the word "all".
The only conflict that counts is the one within one's self. If it does not come from your core, a belief is non existent.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
The only conflict that counts is the one within one's self. If it does not come from your core, a belief is non existent.
But that is what atheists believe; that there is no belief.

You don't want to believe in a God, then fine. I have no problems with it.
But don't tell me that those that do believe are wrong.

While you cannot prove there is a God, you also cannot prove there isn't a God.
So call a truce and let each one live in peace.

Religion, or lack of, should be no one's business except your own.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:

Internal self control is the HEIGHT of moral development.

Those who don't do bad things because of fear of external retribution - God, the law, etc. - have an undeveloped and immature sense of morality.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 PM

775 posts, read 741,232 times
Quote:
But that is what atheists believe; that there is no belief.

You don't want to believe in a God, then fine. I have no problems with it.
But don't tell me that those that do believe are wrong.

While you cannot prove there is a God, you also cannot prove there isn't a God.
So call a truce and let each one live in peace.

Religion, or lack of, should be no one's business except your own.
Nope. The issue of god is a matter of fact. It can be factually demonstrated that the bible is full of ****. Atheists do not "believe" god does not exist, they simply examine the evidence and come to that conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies