Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that is what atheists believe; that there is no belief.

You don't want to believe in a God, then fine. I have no problems with it.
But don't tell me that those that do believe are wrong.

While you cannot prove there is a God, you also cannot prove there isn't a God.
So call a truce and let each one live in peace.

Religion, or lack of, should be no one's business except your own.
I think some wires are crossed here. Atheists do not believe in God, but that does not translate to having no beliefs. Sorry, but I have to say, that is a very ignorant statement you made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
No, I would not commit murder if I believed there were no God, but I would probably engage in far more sexual activity with the opposite sex.

Religion does restrain me from doing that if you want me to be honest.

The bottom line is, I don't feel entitled to anything in life or death, and atheism is an ideology of entitlement.

I believe I should be held accountable for my actions.
You really should shut your pie hole until you understand what atheism is...It is one thing, and ONE thing only...A disbelief in gods.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Could you not just assume responsibility for your own convictions? Must it come from a deity?
I think a cute cat picture with an amusing caption would be apropos here.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So your religion restrains you from engaging in sexual activity with the opposite sex and you say that like it's a good thing. Or, rather, that sex is a bad thing despite. Or, worse, that enjoyable sex is a bad thing. You have to ask yourself where that comes from, Del Boy. Do you really believe that your God is so concerned with who you sleep with, when you sleep with them or how you sleep with them? Think about that for a second. Imagine any system of governing laws that made an attempt to place restrictions on who, how or why you are having sex. Imagine the "sex police" coming around making sure that your sexual proclivities were in check. We'd call that tyranny anywhere on this planet. But, because you find it to be divine directive, suddenly it becomes worth worshiping?

I think, rather, that most people take something like sex and they have their own manifested reasons for thinking it's bad. Sexual urges are very controlling and males, especially in their teen years, are constantly falling "victim" to the controlling nature of them. So, my guess is that you've somehow turned sex into something negative in YOUR OWN MIND and you've projected that belief onto your deity. Could you not just assume responsibility for your own convictions? Must it come from a deity?

Because you use it as a tool to re-establish control over something. I'm sure if I was only worried about the celestial security camera that was concerned with what I was doing I would watch my P's and Q's. But, I would never worship such an entity and I would certainly have serious questions as to the nature of such a being that was so adamantly concerned with my sexual nature.

Where do you get this from, Del Boy, other than your own musings? What does a lack of belief in anything entitle someone to? I don't believe in Santa Claus, does that mean I have a sense of self-entitlement towards something? You presumably don't believe in a number of other Gods - like Zeus, Thor, Odin, Allah, etc... Do you feel entitled to something because of that? Or is it simply a lack of belief that you really don't dwell on much? Atheism is simply a word, Del Boy. It describes people who have a lack of belief in God. I'd be the first to call myself something different if there was some sort of "code" I had to follow to be an Atheist or if I had some secret book that I took orders and directives from. That's doctrine, Del Boy. Not a lack of belief.

Therefore God exists? That's evidence of nothing, Del Boy. I believe my schwanz should be the size of a python but that doesn't mean the e-mail in my spam folder about those enlargement pills has any validity to it. There are all sorts of things I'd like to have. The amazing thing is that you feel this need to be held accountable for your actions as though you are powerless to have any self-conviction at all. It's like you're saying that you are incapable of feeling guilt (one of the most powerful accountabilities human nature has - read Dostoyevsky) and that you need divine retribution to keep yourself in line.

We do a pretty good job as a society of holding people accountable for their actions. If you murder someone, you're probably going to jail. Rob a bank? Probably going to jail. Piddle little boys? Probably going to jail - unless you're a Catholic priest seeking asylum in the Vatican.

Do you really need ANOTHER external source of judgment that is watching every little thing you do waiting to convict you of your actions AFTER you die just to keep your behavior on Earth more attuned? Is that really what it takes for you? And even if you're actions on Earth are acceptable, you can still be convicted of thought crime in this Orwellian nightmare that you worship.

I refuse to believe, worship, or adhere to anything of the sort and those who make accusations of me for being out of line need to look deeply at what it is they worship and why it is they worship such things. I find nothing admirable about it at all and neither should anyone with any common sense of decency and morality!
You filled this page with a whole lot of what amounts to unnecessary drivel.

I don't think sexual immorality should be policed by an external force, it has to come from within, but I believe abstinence should be encouraged by society.

Your entitlement lays in the fact that you don't believe you exist after you die; therefore, you will not be held accountable for your actions.

That's entitlement.

I believe otherwise. I don't think there is anything easy about it. Life is hard. Death is hard too. No free rides.

Atheist expect a free ride. That probably explains why it's becomming more prevelant in American society. People expect something for nothing.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 PM

775 posts, read 741,232 times
Quote:
That's why Jesus came down to rectify this situation.
Firstly, why did Jesus never specifically state that the Old Testament is full of ****?

Secondly, why did Jesus wait several thousand years to come?

Thirdly, why would this "situation" exist if the Old Testament was divinely inspired?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You really should shut your pie hole until you understand what atheism is...It is one thing, and ONE thing only...A disbelief in gods.
Right. Which means that no law usurps man's law.

Man's law is the final word. Am I wrong?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Firstly, why did Jesus never specifically state that the Old Testament is full of ****?

Secondly, why did Jesus wait several thousand years to come?

Thirdly, why would this "situation" exist if the Old Testament was divinely inspired?
There is a passage at the end of revelations, "And if anyone takes away from the words of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life...;" however, men have proven time and time again to be evil.

I imagine that the Old Testament became somewhat distorted or that perhaps, some of the stories were not of God.

Jesus did not say the Old Testament is full of ****, he just changed some of the principle foundations mankind was following at the time. For instance, he disregarded Hamarabi's Codes of an eye for an eye and replaced it with, "turn the other cheek."

Christianity, is the religion of peace and discipline. It is very difficult to follow the words of Christ because we are inherently weak and selfish.

If you were forced to reduce your standard of living to those in nations that our nation has stolen from and impoverished, you would likely have great difficulty in adapting to your new lifestyle.

If you followed the words of Christ though, you would realize that selfless behavior is the proper route to take, and you would embrace it with open arms.

I do not know exactly why Jesus came when he did, but it was prophesized by Isaiah. If you truly desire to understand Jesus Christ, you must read his words in the Gospels.

I don't understand why you criticize Christianity without actually reading what was written.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
You filled this page with a whole lot of what amounts to unnecessary drivel.

I don't think sexual immorality should be policed by an external force, it has to come from within, but I believe abstinence should be encouraged by society.

Your entitlement lays in the fact that you don't believe you exist after you die; therefore, you will not be held accountable for your actions.

That's entitlement.

I believe otherwise. I don't think there is anything easy about it. Life is hard. Death is hard too. No free rides.

Atheist expect a free ride. That probably explains why it's becomming more prevelant in American society. People expect something for nothing.
A free ride? No it is the Bible thumping, self righteous, judgemental holier than thou person that thinks that they are scoring points in heaven to facilitate an easy entrance thru the pearly gates.

It is the person that lives an honest and moral life with no expectations for the hereafter that holds thmselves accountable now that is really leading the altruisitc life. I do not believe in heaven and hell and maybe there is something after (karmic energy?) but I don't do good deeds to put in the bank for credit for later use.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A free ride? No it is the Bible thumping, self righteous, judgemental holier than thou person that thinks that they are scoring points in heaven to facilitate an easy entrance thru the pearly gates.

It is the person that lives an honest and moral life with no expectations for the hereafter that holds thmselves accountable now that is really leading the altruisitc life. I do not believe in heaven and hell and maybe there is something after (karmic energy?) but I don't do good deeds to put in the bank for credit for later use.
If you would take the time to actually read the Gospel, you would find that it's not that easy. It's very difficult to get into Heaven.

I'm more worried about my bad deeds than my good deeds. Put it in perspective in regards to life. If you save 20 people, but murder 1, do you not get 20 to life because of your good deeds?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
America is going the same way as Europe, the Tea Party pretty much lives off fundies over 40, there are no new religious nuts being born. Have fun rotting in the ground when my generation gets into power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies