Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Atheism is not believing in a God, a higher deity. It has nothing to do with organized religion.

One can believe in a higher being and still reject organized religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:59 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Atheism is not believing in a God, a higher deity. It has nothing to do with organized religion.

BINGO! It's not a hard concept! Thanks for using logic.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Can one not believe in a higher being, and yet be intrinsically a moral person?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:06 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are consequences. That's a fact of life. There are consequences to every action. There don't have to be consequences after our lives are over.

I don't understand your way of looking at life. My life isn't the way it is because of other people's suffering. My life is the way it is because of the choices I've made. I don't live my life based on what I think will happen after I die. I live my life today. I celebrate the choices I've made. If I'd made different choices, my life would be different. There are always people out there who make choices I admire (like working harder, being more generous, and so on). I aspire to be more like the people I admire. Not because I believe that someday I'll be rewarded when I die, but because the reward is here and now. Being the best person I can be is my reward. Being honest, with others and myself, being generous, with others and myself, being tolerant, with others and myself, lets me have a happy life with friends and family who love and respect me. For who I am. Not for what God I worship or don't worship.
What I mean is, we as Americans are able to live as we live because of our foriegn policy. As citizens and consumers, we allow this process to occur. We vote with our dollars, our apathy, or through the political process.

As Americans, you and I are both responsible for this.

That is what I mean.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Can one not believe in a higher being, and yet be intrinsically a moral person?

Well..... sure. I believe in that thing called free will.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM

775 posts, read 741,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
So you agree that morality is going out the window with atheism on the rise.
Depends on how we define morality. Since you clearly define morality as "belief in a high being without evidence, worshipping him daily, and rejecting the heathen", then yes, by your standards the world is becoming more and more immoral.

To me, a moral person is one who voluntarily contributes to the well being of others. By these standards, humanity's morality is improving, as figures report higher charitable donations this year.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
What I mean is, we as Americans are able to live as we live because of our foriegn policy. As citizens and consumers, we allow this process to occur. We vote with our dollars, our apathy, or through the political process.

As Americans, you and I are both responsible for this.

That is what I mean.
Okay. As an American, choices are made on my behalf that create suffering for others around the globe. As a moral person, it is my obligation to protest those choices that are made by my government by any means possible. And I do. Believe me, I write, talk, post on-line, about all my grievances. Whiner-in-chief, that's me!

Last edited by DC at the Ridge; 08-16-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well..... sure. I believe in that thing called free will.
Yet, you're not the one who said that atheists get their morality from government.

Atheists can logically choose not to believe in any god, and yet make moral choices because they are intrinsically moral people. The only people who aren't intrinsically moral are sociopaths and psychopaths, which are mental impairments. Atheists aren't mentally impaired.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yet, you're not the one who said that atheists get their morality from government.

Atheists can logically choose not to believe in any god, and yet make moral choices because they are intrinsically moral people. The only people who aren't intrinsically moral are sociopaths and psychopaths, which are mental impairments. Atheists aren't mentally impaired.

I never said that they were, and I ask that I not be considered mentally impaired, because I choose to believe. And as far as political leanings go, as a libertarian I don't feel that the government should be in the business of legislating morality.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I never said that they were, and I ask that I not be considered mentally impaired, because I choose to believe. And as far as political leanings go, as a libertarian I don't feel that the government should be in the business of legislating morality.
Yes, I think I addressed that when I said that you weren't the poster I was having this conversation with. I appreciate your input, but HappyTexan is the one who said that since atheists don't believe in God that they are getting their morals from government.

As for believers being mentally impaired, you have me confused with another poster because I never stated, suggested nor implied that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies