Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

The House has passed legislation that would make all private contractors working in Iraq subject to prosecution by US Courts.

While its todays news, its sad that leglislation needs to be passed to make it so..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
This is interesting. I think it makes sense but am not surprised that it didn't exist clearly before now because the contractors are operating in another country. It takes some reason for the govt. to consider it and pass it.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
But here is where you get involved in the issue of unintended consequences.

These private contractors work for specific companies, very few (if any) are direct hires. This legislation might cause the bidding contractors to add an overhead fee for retention of supplemental legal services, a contingency for legal support, as part of their cost structure. As a result, the bid cost per labor hour would possibly be increased to support this contingency.

In other words, the cost per contractor may increase as a result of this action. Perhaps competition (I'm assuming competition) might negate this, but over the long term I would expect this to be an additional overhead cost in developing the hourly contractor rates.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
I'm all for it. I do not like people from our country operating with no accountability in a destabilized region that we destabilized.

Although I'm sure it would be hard to get evidence from Iraq to an American courtroom in a way that would stand up to the same scrutiny as a crime scene here where our police mop up the scene, it would be a big step forward in at least showing its not anything goes over there.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Our use of for hire mercenary armies is flat out wrong, it is expensive and judging by its record so far, it causes far more problems than they address.

What our troops must think when they look across the street and see a person making 10 times as much doing the same task. It is a slap in the face to our service people and a danger to the civilians in Iraq.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The House has passed legislation that would make all private contractors working in Iraq subject to prosecution by US Courts.

While its todays news, its sad that leglislation needs to be passed to make it so..
One of the dumbest ideas ever. First of all, whatever happens in Iraq is OUTSIDE the Jurisdiction of the United States. If the contractors do anything in Iraq, they need to be tried by Iraqui Courts and the Iraqi legal system.

This is yet another ploy by left-wing extremist Democrats who want to attack Americans who are protecting other Americans.

DISGRACEFUL.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
I find it especially inspriing that the President of Iraq would be shocked -- shocked, I say -- to find that private militias have been operating in his country and are wounding and killing civilians.

How appalled he must be at those brutal and barbaric Americans.

Cry me a Euphrates, Malicki. Without Blackwater, you'd be afraid to go wee-wee.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
I don't think this is a good idea. But this thing has precedent.

Look at Manuel Noriega. He's spent how much time in a US prison for cocaine trafficking, racketeering and money laundering? He was a dirt bag sure, but he was still a sovereign leader of a foreign government, and we tried him in a US Federal Court for violating our laws that our congress passed.

It seems we want to extend US law everywhere, and I'm not so sure it's such a good idea.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Coming from a completely different side of it, if I were a contractor, I would much rather be subject to the US courts than the ones in Iraq.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
It seems we want to extend US law everywhere, and I'm not so sure it's such a good idea.
It sure isn't a good idea.

Now if they could just pass something that would prosecute The PuppetMaster Cheyne and all the others who started this mess Don't I wish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies