Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
And that's the key, the lower rent. But not every place around has rent that low making it harder to do.
Well sure that's the key..living in a low COL area. Once you leave the big cities the COL goes down.
Even here in Texas, Austin-DFW-Houston are pretty expensive to live in and can't be done on a min wage salary. Even middle class people are being driven out of the big cities because of the COL associated with those big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Really. How many of the homeless at the shelter have all those things? Is this an urban shelter?

Also, do you believe those Home Depot positions you mentioned pay $15-20 per hour?
It looks like a lot of them have cell phones. Better than mine but I just have one of those cheapest pre-paid ones.

Actually I live in one of the most impoverished and low-wage regions of the country and you don't see many homeless people. They can stay in the homeless shelters but most of those shelters have rules that they can't be using drugs or drinking so some don't want to stay in them. They'd rather live under the bridges of the interstate or in this little tent city they have than follow the no-drinking-no-drugging rules of the homeless shelter.

This one homeless guy got sick with lymphoma, he refused to live in a homeless shelter but he wasn't apparently an alcoholic or drug addict. He was just very eccentric and preferred to live his own way and alone. I once had to deal with a homeless older man with a foot infection facing amputation. His biggest fear was that they were going to put him in a nursing home -- he wanted to be out where he was used to being, and be with his friends, he found the idea of living the rest of his days in a nursing home horrifying. I think I might identify a little with someone like him.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It looks like a lot of them have cell phones. Better than mine but I just have one of those cheapest pre-paid ones.

Actually I live in one of the most impoverished and low-wage regions of the country and you don't see many homeless people. They can stay in the homeless shelters but most of those shelters have rules that they can't be using drugs or drinking so some don't want to stay in them. They'd rather live under the bridges of the interstate or in this little tent city they have than follow the no-drinking-no-drugging rules of the homeless shelter.

This one homeless guy got sick with lymphoma, he refused to live in a homeless shelter but he wasn't apparently an alcoholic or drug addict. He was just very eccentric and preferred to live his own way and alone. I once had to deal with a homeless older man with a foot infection facing amputation. His biggest fear was that they were going to put him in a nursing home -- he wanted to be out where he was used to being, and be with his friends, he found the idea of living the rest of his days in a nursing home horrifying. I think I might identify a little with someone like him.
Ahhh, yes...the "worthy poor." Yes, so much easier to identify with the disabled rather than the unworthy poor. You know, the ones who are there because of their laziness.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:34 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
We are a nasty people. "I've got mine...now scr*w you!" Love it, folks.
I was just thinking the same thing.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Was the man with lymphoma getting treatment? Most lymphomas are very treatable, even curable, with proper care. But a person undergoing treatment should NEVER be homeless (although I know more than a handful of young adults with cancer or cancer survivors who are currently homeless). I couldn't even take a cab when I was undergoing treatment - too many germs. And I got ill more than once, costing an extra few $1000 in medical bills, because my old roommate couldn't do his share to keep the apartment clean, even when it got to the point where I couldn't do much to help.

There is nothing honorable about dying from cancer on the street, no matter what you want to believe.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Ahhh, yes...the "worthy poor." Yes, so much easier to identify with the disabled rather than the unworthy poor. You know, the ones who are there because of their laziness.
I didn't say "worthy poor".

Those homeless guys I referred to didn't work. The guy with lymphoma had at one time worked as a postal worker, a mail-man and had a wife and kids but for some reason just decided to give all of it up. As far as I know it wasn't drugs and alcohol -- he just "opted out", the diabetic guy was the old-time hobo-wino. I don't think he wanted in on the 9-5 time-clock routine.

There really are the homeless by choice -- always have been. I don't think they're all mentally ill, they refuse to become time-clock slaves -- I've heard them say that. Some are travelers -- they would be very unhappy if you put them in some kind of home and made them stay there.

The homeless shelter here doesn't turn anyone away exactly -- they are simply required to give up alcohol and drugs and some don't wish to give anything up. Rules like that make it safer for the couple of families that might stay there and those who are going to try to find work.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Was the man with lymphoma getting treatment? Most lymphomas are very treatable, even curable, with proper care. But a person undergoing treatment should NEVER be homeless (although I know more than a handful of young adults with cancer or cancer survivors who are currently homeless). I couldn't even take a cab when I was undergoing treatment - too many germs. And I got ill more than once, costing an extra few $1000 in medical bills, because my old roommate couldn't do his share to keep the apartment clean, even when it got to the point where I couldn't do much to help.

There is nothing honorable about dying from cancer on the street, no matter what you want to believe.
Yes he was. He had an oncologist, he was given chemotherapy, he spent some time in the hospital. They did all they could to get him to move into the homeless shelter but he out-and-out refused. He truly was homeless by choice, he was "odd" and yet did not appear to be very crazy. He said he would be afraid in the homeless shelter but I really don't think that was a realistic fear. He also did not like to shower or bathe -- he would become angry in the hospital when they forced baths on him.

I know for a fact that many homeless would have to be kept locked up if you decided you wanted them off the streets, and they do not want to be locked up.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Most service jobs do not guarantee a certain number of hours a week. So a homeless person has several challenges:
1. Find multiple jobs to work up to 60 or 70 hours (in an economy where it is difficult to find even 1 job).

Wait, you overlooked something...holding multiple service jobs with unguaranteed and irregular hours poses a risk of scheduling conflicts.

At one time I worked at a gas station AND at a 7-11. This worked great for months, until I was scheduled to work both jobs at the same time on the Fourth.

Since NOBODY wants to work on the Fourth, I was unable to trade shifts, and ended up having to choose which job I was willing to give up...so I was fired from 7-11.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
I didn't say "worthy poor".

Those homeless guys I referred to didn't work. The guy with lymphoma had at one time worked as a postal worker, a mail-man and had a wife and kids but for some reason just decided to give all of it up. As far as I know it wasn't drugs and alcohol -- he just "opted out", the diabetic guy was the old-time hobo-wino. I don't think he wanted in on the 9-5 time-clock routine.

There really are the homeless by choice -- always have been. I don't think they're all mentally ill, they refuse to become time-clock slaves -- I've heard them say that. Some are travelers -- they would be very unhappy if you put them in some kind of home and made them stay there.

The homeless shelter here doesn't turn anyone away exactly -- they are simply required to give up alcohol and drugs and some don't wish to give anything up. Rules like that make it safer for the couple of families that might stay there and those who are going to try to find work.
I know you didn't explicitly say that. It's what was implied. Do you comprehend the difference between those two things? Most do not.

I have a family member who directs the human services department of a large, urban county. Every year at budget time, disabled folks are hauled in to the hearings to create an emotional appeal for $$$. What happens is that the "unworthy poor" receive less help so that we may give those dollars to the "worthy poor." Few want to come forward and state that instead of devoting more money to people with cognitively disablities we should be devoting that money towards programs for the poor who do not suffer from any disabilities. It's politically incorrect and you will face a large and vocal lobby that will rip you apart.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Rick Roma,

How wonderful for you that you never had a problem. How callous of you to demean people many of whom cannot help their situation. While I agree there are some people who have brought homelessness on themselves the vast majority are homeless by chance and circumstance. Have you no sympathy for the children, disabled, blind, mentally disabled, etc.? Sooner or later your turn will come. God help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies