Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How do homeless people recharge their cell phones?
At the rescue mission. They have electricity there. Some of the homeless live there, some come off the streets to eat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Prior to 1980, or there about, there was no homeless. Yes, we had hobo's, tramps, vagrants, etc., but most of those chose that life. The person responsible for creating the homeless was no other than President Ronald Reagan. Reagan decided there was too much government spending especially to support the mentally ill of America. Reagan cut all funding to mental institutions across the county forcing patients on the street beginning the first of the homeless. Before releasing the psychotics, schizophrenics, depressives and other mentally ill people they did give them a bottle of pills enough to last a month. The more seriously ill people went out into society and committed crimes that landed them in prisons for the rest of their lives. One patient released from Byberry in Philadelphia PA got on a city bus and axed the riders from behind killing almost all the passengers. Reagan was applauded for the spending cuts.

Today we have 50% of our good veterans homeless. About 15-20% of school children are homeless. All this takes place in a country that likes to call itself a "Christian Nation." This is shameful.

(If you think that the homeless can go to a place like the Salvation Army consider this. One Salvation Army shelter charges $6 a night per person).

Old 09-01-2012, 10:14 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
What do we owe our fellow humans? I'm serious. Clearly, we have a large group of people who argue that we owe each other nothing. I'm interested in what those of you who haven't adopted the Randite philosophy think.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Yes, he was crazy. Risking his life and the life of other innocent, medically compliant, immunocomprimised cancer patients because he didn't want to bathe? Yes, that IS mental illness.
I suppose he was --- I really don't know what happened to him because he was once a typical person with a job and wife and kids but he gave it all up -- he didn't lose his job, he left his job, he left his family.

He wasn't crazy in the way you'd run or even leave a room if he walked in except for the smell because he smelled terrible. He could hold down a conversation, he didn't act looney tunes as far as talking. I don't know what you can do with homeless peope like him. He was a harmless guy so I can't see locking him up somewhere.

And there have always been the hobo types -- the kings of the road who like to do their own thing.

I think the only thing is to have homeless shelters and rescue missions, at least a place where they can eat and if they want to get off the streets, they have that chance to do so -- even if it means they have to follow some rules, lose some of their freedom.

As for California -- I don't see what can be done because they want to encourage unlimited immigration of cheap workers who will take the jobs that others either don't want or can't get. You don't see the illegals living on the streets or complaining about lack of jobs.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
What do we owe our fellow humans? I'm serious. Clearly, we have a large group of people who argue that we owe each other nothing. I'm interested in what those of you who haven't adopted the Randite philosophy think.
"We owe each other nothing". Talk about short-sighted.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You owe me $10,000. Direct message me and I'll tell you how to send it.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Indeed the dumbing down of America has succeeded. Take those who believe that if you just work hard enough, you will be wealthy. How many millionaires on this board? How many millionaires do you know? Or are all your acquaintances "lazy?" Are we, ourselves, "lazy?"
Children in school are not taught to be prosperous. They are not taught that anything is possible. If you do not succeed, it is not because you are lazy, it is because you do not believe in your own potential and abilities. We spend our lives listening to people who tell us what we CANNOT do (including teachers, parents, etc.), and then we are surprised when we cannot do it.

Everything that is our reality was once a thought, an idea which came to fruition. Our thoughts are things and they can hold us back or they can project us forward at the speed of sound.

Ninety-nine percent of the adult population have no goals, no incentive, no motivation, no determination, no plan for the future, no enthusiasm. They plod along through their life with one day much like the next, just surviving when then can achieve greatness and all they have to do is decide to do it.

Dumbed down and miserable. That's what we have become.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You owe me $10,000. Direct message me and I'll tell you how to send it.
This is such a brilliant response. Yes, if I contend that we owe each other something, it must mean that it pertains solely to money and, furthermore, it must be an exorbitant amount of money. It is, however, highly illuminating that you would make that assumption.

What is fairly clear from this thread, and from what I've witnessed from the "I've got mine, now scr*w you" crowd is that they also have no interest in offering non-monetary help to those miserable, lazy, dirty poor leeches.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Children in school are not taught to be prosperous. They are not taught that anything is possible. If you do not succeed, it is not because you are lazy, it is because you do not believe in your own potential and abilities. We spend our lives listening to people who tell us what we CANNOT do (including teachers, parents, etc.), and then we are surprised when we cannot do it.

Everything that is our reality was once a thought, an idea which came to fruition. Our thoughts are things and they can hold us back or they can project us forward at the speed of sound.

Ninety-nine percent of the adult population have no goals, no incentive, no motivation, no determination, no plan for the future, no enthusiasm. They plod along through their life with one day much like the next, just surviving when then can achieve greatness and all they have to do is decide to do it.

Dumbed down and miserable. That's what we have become.

20yrsinBranson
Our political leaders, parents and schools continue to teach that if you work hard, prosperity will come to you in the United States. Perhaps you would like to compare your experiences in education with mine?

Your statistic is hilarious. Does that 99% include you?

Talk about "dumbed down."

Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
...destroys the idea of any social responsibility.
It only destroys misguided charity as a form of social responsibility. That's a good thing if you're one of those being coerced to "give charity."

Quote:
Take those who believe that if you just work hard enough, you will be wealthy.
I must agree with you; hard work without political wisdom results in exploitation.

Quote:
I think that's an irrational question; if I don't owe others anything, then I'm stating that I have no reason to act, but if you think that I owe others something, then you're stating that I have a reason to act. The question is: why do believe that I should act?

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 09-01-2012 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies