Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Who is John Galt?
The one character every educated person in the world should know about, if humanity is to have a future better than the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 02:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Many thanks, I'll look into it!
I hope you do.

Meanwhile you had a chance to do a little one-on-one charity work with the homeless man who was looking through your recycling bin. I like to think Our Lady of Grace would have appreciated your asking the man to please wait a minute while you went back inside the house, threw together a quick sandwich for him, grabbed a piece of fruit and went back out and offered it to him. She might just have told her Son about what you did for your fellow human being.

THAT'S what I was talking about. Because all the planning in the world that you and your friends might do didn't put something into that man's stomach.

Jesus was at your doorstep. While He was here He told us that what we do in His name we do for Him. Read Mother Theresa. She explained it wonderfully well.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-01-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 03:00 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
What? You don't believe he was paying for all of that on $8 per hour?
In the 70s maybe. Nowadays $8/hr might get you a small shack in rural Alabama at best. Oh yeah, good luck finding a job out there.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:20 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Looks like a typical lazy white liberal Obama-voting Occupier to me.

This is the "hope and change" the young, useful idiots voted for. Pat yourselves on the back if you plan on voting for four more years of this disastrous Food Stamp presidency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Who is John Galt?
Quote:
The figment of a demented imagination.
Only to the anti-intellectual.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:27 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Is it a forum violation to note that I find you repulsive? Will that hurt someone's feelings? My what a fine Christian.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:37 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

This is the "hope and change" the young, useful idiots voted for. Pat yourselves on the back if you plan on voting for four more years of this disastrous Food Stamp presidency.
What to say? Luke 6:38.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM

415 posts, read 615,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My son is 21, living on his own and going to school. No car payment but he is paying his rent, cell phone, electricity on his own dime..min wage. He works 35-40 hours and takes 1-2 classes at a time.

What makes it possible is that he lives in a low COL city here in Texas.
Rent for his 1 bedroom is $560/month and includes cable/internet.
You can do this in a higher COL area as well. I live in Orange county, in California, which is one of the most affluent areas in the country where rents are sky-high. Apartments near me go for $1000 for a studio; $2000 for a two-bedroom is not unheard of. Down south, in Newport Beach, rents can be double what I just mentioned. My rent is $600 a month; I rent a room, have access to the common areas of the house (including kitchen) in addition to my own bedroom and bathroom, access to the washer and dryer, and my rent includes utilities, cable and wi-fi. I know people living in Newport Beach for $700 a month in the exact same living situation.

But...I do not make minimum wage. I am considered a "mid-wage" earner. I also have the support of my parents. I don't pay for my phone. If my dad did not pay for it, I would do without. Its nice but I don't see it as worthy of $80 a month, which is what my dad pays. He insisted that me and my brother get phones, and was dumbfounded that he has two tech savvy Millennial children who don't care for smartphones. He brought this up to a coworker, and his coworker jokingly asked if they could swap kids, since his insist on all the newest toys.

But...I will say I do also see a lot of heartlessness in this thread. The stories of "I can make it so can you" are getting old. Not everyone has the same privilege--and there is privilege out there that the middle class is unaware that they have. Not just the rich have privilege.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM

398 posts, read 819,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Is it a forum violation to note that I find you repulsive? Will that hurt someone's feelings? My what a fine Christian.

Speaking of Christians: homeless can ask a church for help. Churches are some of the largest and most generous charities. They all give money to help those in need. That is what a church is for. God bless America.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:43 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I hope you do.

Meanwhile you had a chance to do a little one-on-one charity work with the homeless man who was looking through your recycling bin. I like to think Our Lady of Grace would have appreciated your asking the man to please wait a minute while you went back inside the house, threw together a quick sandwich for him, grabbed a piece of fruit and went back out and offered it to him. She might just have told her Son about what you did for your fellow human being.

THAT'S what I was talking about. Because all the planning in the world that you and your friends might do didn't put something into that man's stomach.

Jesus was at your doorstep. While He was here He told us that what we do in His name we do for Him. Read Mother Theresa. She explained it wonderfully well.
Well, thanks for the encouragement. And it's nice to know that you take the Bible seriously along with Blessed Teresa of Calcutta. I'll keep that in mind for future discussions.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:43 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,762 times
Quote:
What to say? Luke 6:38.
"If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies