Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Conservatives do this all the time, you hear about this every single election. No respect for law or private property.
When you left wingers actually learn the law, I'll take your postings seriously on what constitutes breaking it..

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-08-2012 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,736,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Perhaps the thread should had been titled differently then, eh?
Both REM and Warner-Tamerlane Music claim it was "unlicensed and unauthorized use of the song." It's a legal matter, and since the Warner-Tamerlane is also making the claim, that suggests they do not have an agreement with Fox for use or for royalties. So Fox made a decision that either wasn't verified by their lawyers (not sure how likely that is), or they made a decision that their use of the song fell under fair use. If Fox did not stop use of the song, they can face a possible lawsuit.

Quote:
I don't think the point of the thread was whether the use of the music was legal, but the fact that so many artists disapprove of the Republicans using their music to promote their agenda...they don't want to be associated with the Republicans.
Still, if it fell under fair use, then Fox can still use it. REM can still bring a lawsuit if Fox continued, but Fox could also argue they are correct in their understanding of the law.

That's my interpretation. It is a legal issue.

Edit:
Quote:
"A Fox News spokesman responds: “FOX News Channel’s use of an R.E.M. song during Thursday’s edition of Fox & Friends was in full accordance with its license agreements with all appropriate parties. Nevertheless, we’re always flattered to have this much attention for a song selection and we hope R.E.M. was able to satisfy their publicity fix.
Then why is Warner-Tamerlane Music also saying it was unauthorized use?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Virtually every time the right hijacks songs from artists, they are immediately slammed by the artist and served with cease and desist papers, and at the DNC is the latest case.

Fox was trolling the DNC by using the song "losing my religion" from REM, and was immediately met with outrage from the band, with lead singer Michael Stipe stating:
“We have little or no respect for their puff adder brand of reportage,” lead singer Michael Stipe said. “Our music does not belong there.”

The right wing machine needs to stick to their he-haw and country music

R.E.M. orders Fox News to stop playing ‘Losing My Religion’ during DNC | The Raw Story
Ignorant right wingers, Losing my religions isn't even about religion. Just like Ryan who listens to radical leftists lyrics, these morons are clueless when it comes to rock music

They should stick to cheesy country songs about bombing Iraq and killing Muslims

Losing My Religion Title

Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
An apology for what? FOX says they aren't doing anything at all illegal. Here's a statement," A Fox News spokesman responds: “FOX News Channel’s use of an R.E.M. song during Thursday’s edition of Fox & Friends was in full accordance with its license agreements with all appropriate parties. Nevertheless, we’re always flattered to have this much attention for a song selection and we hope R.E.M. was able to satisfy their publicity fix.”
Typical of the vile scum at fox to use an artist's work illegally, then thumb their noses at them when told to stop.

I hope REM sues the snot out of fox.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Typical of the vile scum at fox to use an artist's work illegally, then thumb their noses at them when told to stop.

Acting in a way they believe is within the law is not the same as "thumbing their noses at them."

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:

Fox is scum, but not for using REM's music illegally.

They are scum for tainting my memory of that song. Now every time I hear it I will think of backwards right wingers.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
When you left wing kooks actually learn the law, I'll take your postings seriously on what constitutes breaking it..
Are you seriously suggesting that the link you provided about the most basic information about copyright was somehow you offering a valid reason for Fox's use of the REM song? Give me a break.

Quote:
Actually you do.. Even if you plead guilty you still go in front of a judge who takes your plea and then pronounces you guilty in a trial by judge.

It amazes me how many people get online and say things like this that they know absolutely positively nothing about.
What? A person can't just make up a guilty plea agreement on his/her own without a judge's approval? Who knew!

We were talking about the court of public opinion. Of course, no legal charges had been filed against Fox .

Quote:
An apology for what? FOX says they aren't doing anything at all illegal. Here's a statement,
Must be using the same licensing agreement as Rush Limbaugh. REM has to opt out of that, if it's even possible to.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Isn't that his business? Or do so-called capitalists not believe in the freedom to do with one's capital as one wishes anymore?

It is his business. It's the complete irony and hypocrisy of a guy worth $60 million , oh never mind. You don't care about anything like they. Partisan to the end.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,677 times
Quote:
When you left wing kooks actually learn the law, I'll take your postings seriously on what constitutes breaking it..
OK I'm wrong then, go ahead and make a commercial for your business using Beatles and Bruce Springsteen songs without paying them and see how far that gets you. Just move into Trump Tower while you are at it since you find personal property laws meaningless

Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
If the music was used by FOX and was broadcast during a TV show from which they received advertising income, then they would not win in court.
Not true. Permission must be asked for and granted to air any music. Royalties alone do not constitute asking permission.

That is why you see 'used by permission' in the credit roll of TV shows and the like. Those words are also part of the permission granting process.

If Fox or any other news agency does not do stuff the correct way, they will lose in court, period. The laws are very clear, very well defined and very narrowly phrased. If REM had taken them to court for using a million selling song, the penalties could have easily reached $3 million or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies