Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:45 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Both REM and Warner-Tamerlane Music claim it was "unlicensed and unauthorized use of the song." It's a legal matter, and since the Warner-Tamerlane is also making the claim, that suggests they do not have an agreement with Fox for use or for royalties. So Fox made a decision that either wasn't verified by their lawyers (not sure how likely that is), or they made a decision that their use of the song fell under fair use. If Fox did not stop use of the song, they can face a possible lawsuit.
Ah, so no license obviously.

Quote:
Still, if it fell under fair use, then Fox can still use it. REM can still bring a lawsuit if Fox continued, but Fox could also argue they are correct in their understanding of the law.

That's my interpretation. It is a legal issue.
Fox is full of it as usual.

Quote:
Edit: Then why is Warner-Tamerlane Music also saying it was unauthorized use?
The publisher would certainly know, wouldn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:58 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Probably. But the Democrats are smart enough to request permission first, so the refused song never gets played. This is ancient stuff; I keep wondering why the Republicans keep screwing it up time after time after time. They were the ones who toughened up the laws in the first place.
There hasn't been any proof that I have seen of the Republicans actually screwing this up. There have been several musicians who have said that they personally don't want certain politicians using their music because of a difference in beliefs. Has there been a case yet that was pressed, and lost by those Republicans, of actual legal wrongdoing? Or is it just that these performers have been opportunistic and, as Fox news so aptly stated, "gotten their publicity fix."

Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Guess they should just stick to Ted Nugent.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
There hasn't been any proof that I have seen of the Republicans actually screwing this up. There have been several musicians who have said that they personally don't want certain politicians using their music because of a difference in beliefs. Has there been a case yet that was pressed, and lost by those Republicans, of actual legal wrongdoing? Or is it just that these performers have been opportunistic and, as Fox news so aptly stated, "gotten their publicity fix."
I do not understand why FOX does not use some country singer music, like Hank Williams Jr.

In this case REM is right to demand Fox to stop using their song. I would do the same, if I feel the channel (and its hate filled propaganda IMO) does not represents me.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that the link you provided about the most basic information about copyright was somehow you offering a valid reason for Fox's use of the REM song? Give me a break.
There were over a dozen pages of codes involved, what one says Fox is special and outside of the same scope as everyone else?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Of course not but that doesnt matter to left wing kooks who clearly hasnt ever been out of their moms basement let alone in the courtroom.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Of course not but that doesnt matter to left wing kooks who clearly hasnt ever been out of their moms basement let alone in the courtroom.
I understand that people is frustrated but why always resort to name calling? It gets so tiring.... and it accomplishes nothing

Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
On the other side of this discussion-
There are many artists in both parties.
Some have written campaign songs and donated them to their guy, and many others have allowed the use of their material, then donated the royalties they received back to their candidate.

Personally, I think it's a shame than Hank Jr. has become the center of so much attention. Hank has always been an attention ho, and a second-rater in comparison to many of his contemporaries who are just as conservative as he is. Nashville is full of really good conservative musicians and songwriters; the RNC could have reached out to at least a dozen of them, many more popular than Hank, who would have been sane.

The news these days is lazy. It's easy for them to get the wackos like Hank and Ted Nugent- guys like those two are begging for any air time they can get, and will crawl over broken glass if they think it will help them out. Being a has-been is the worst fate they can imagine.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Stipe needs no publicity. He is preventing theft of his intellectual property.
He really doesn't need it, but he's saying, "I don't like you, so I'm taking may ball and going home."

Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Sure they are. This is Professional Songwriting 101.
Night Garden Music is the name of REM's own publishing company.

By owning the publishing rights, the song rights and the performance rights, REM receives 3 separate royalties for the song. This has been common practice for at least 60 years now.

This song appears to be jointly owned by all members of REM. Michael Stipe wrote it, but included his mates most probably because they all arranged it. The songwriter does not have to do this- Robby Krieger of The Doors wrote Light My Fire, and reserved the song and publishing rights for himself. The rest of the band, including Krieger, received the performance rights, which were split evenly among them.
I see that you didn't read what I was responding too (or read it well) because your post is arguing a point that is not even in discussion. You're making an argument that's consistent with what I said. Please seek first to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies