Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see it. You shouldn't let anyone tell you "You're beneath me". You should never let anyone, of any ethnicity tell you that. You should have a sense of yourself. That is what we all need. No one should have a defeatist attitude. It isn't good to have such an attitude. I don't have that attitude. I get frustrated that I'm unemployed right now despite having a college degree. I keep going. I go for broke. We could all use that attitude. What gets me are people who look down on Blacks based on some stereotype or skin color.
In all honesty, I do not agree with the way that "foreigners" treat Black Americans but I somewhat understand their point of view. These are people who give up EVERYTHING to come to America. They struggle and start businesses in many different areas which often include (or start with) lower income Black neighborhoods (cheaper rents, easily exploited community). They look around say to themselves, "Why haven't these people started their own business? Why do these people still give us money when we treat them like hsit?" And the answer is because "we" have a defeatist attitude.

We are too busy seeking the acceptance of White people and marching in the streets when someone calls us the "n-word" when we should be taking advantage of the free education, taking advantages of opportunities for higher education and starting our own businesses, etc. Seriously, why do I care that Habib or MaiLing doesn't like Black people? I'm sure as heck not going to patronize their business if they don't. But I also know that I am three or four (or more) steps ahead of them in life so there is nothing that they could say or do to make me feel that I am "less than".

Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In all honesty, I do not agree with the way that "foreigners" treat Black Americans but I somewhat understand their point of view. These are people who give up EVERYTHING to come to America. They struggle and start businesses in many different areas which often include (or start with) lower income Black neighborhoods (cheaper rents, easily exploited community). They look around say to themselves, "Why haven't these people started their own business? Why do these people still give us money when we treat them like hsit?" And the answer is because "we" have a defeatist attitude.

We are too busy seeking the acceptance of White people and marching in the streets when someone calls us the "n-word" when we should be taking advantage of the free education, taking advantages of opportunities for higher education and starting our own businesses, etc. Seriously, why do I care that Habib or MaiLing doesn't like Black people? I'm sure as heck not going to patronize their business if they don't. But I also know that I am three or four (or more) steps ahead of them in life so there is nothing that they could say or do to make me feel that I am "less than".
I don't agree with the way some foreigners treat Black Americans either. It angers me when that happened. When people say things about Blacks, disparaging things, I get angry. I get angry because I look at it as "what did I do to you"?

I look at it this way. I will welcome those who want to come here and try to make their dreams happen. On that same token, when I treat a person with respect, I would hope for the same in return.

Here is something to think about. Where did this defeatist attitude come from? If we can figure that out, we can start solving problems.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
I don't agree with the way some foreigners treat Black Americans either. It angers me when that happened. When people say things about Blacks, disparaging things, I get angry. I get angry because I look at it as "what did I do to you"?

I look at it this way. I will welcome those who want to come here and try to make their dreams happen. On that same token, when I treat a person with respect, I would hope for the same in return.

Here is something to think about. Where did this defeatist attitude come from? If we can figure that out, we can start solving problems.

That's nice sweetheart but those people don't care about you (or me or anyone else but their own)

Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
That's nice sweetheart but those people don't care about you (or me or anyone else but their own)
I choose to think different.

I still have one question. Where do you think the defeatist attitudes among some African-Americans come from?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
BINGO!
Hell, basketball and booty are my raisons d'être.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
I choose to think different.

I still have one question. Where do you think the defeatist attitudes among some African-Americans come from?
I keep wondering as I read through this thread, "what black people do these people know?"

Defeatist attitude? Lol...you guys are watching waaaaay too much Dr. Phil Show. Seriously, it ain't that deep.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
This is how I see it. You shouldn't let anyone tell you "You're beneath me". You should never let anyone, of any ethnicity tell you that. You should have a sense of yourself. That is what we all need. No one should have a defeatist attitude. It isn't good to have such an attitude. I don't have that attitude. I get frustrated that I'm unemployed right now despite having a college degree. I keep going. I go for broke. We could all use that attitude. What gets me are people who look down on Blacks based on some stereotype or skin color.
Why do you let something like that bother you? So long as they don't openly disrespect you, why not just blow it off? Why go through life like that?

I just don't understand why so many black folks care about the personal opinions of non-blacks. As long as I'm shown the requisite amount of respect and courtesy, they can show all the fake smiles til they drop dead. Only if they get out if pocket should you put them in their place...and quickly.

Otherwise, pay it no mind.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,620 times
Contrary to popular belief, whites aren't the only ones who can be racist.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
When interacting with non-Black Americans (of any persuasion) you must ALWAYS remember that these people are trying desperately to not be the bottom rung on the totem pole. Around the world people see/learn the most negative stereotyoes and disgusting things about Black Americans.

So the only thing that you can do is NOT give people/businesses who are blatantly bigoted towards you (or any one that you know) any of your hard earned money. You must remember that you can from greatness and that your ancestors paved the way (and paid the price in blood, seat and tears) for these folks to even be here in America. We as Black Americans MUST learn how to put these people in their PLACE.
I somewhat disagree with this internationally speaking Black Americans are viewed quite positively. They certainly get treated better than Africans overseas. Heck in many countries they are even considered white. In fact during Apartheid South Africa, African Americans weren't subjugated to discrimination since they were classified as "honorary whites".

I think the negative perceptions of African Americans frankly come from interactions in America.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I somewhat disagree with this internationally speaking Black Americans are viewed quite positively. They certainly get treated better than Africans overseas. Heck in many countries they are even considered white. In fact during Apartheid South Africa, African Americans weren't subjugated to discrimination since they were classified as "honorary whites".

I think the negative perceptions of African Americans frankly come from interactions in America.
In many parts of the world, perhaps, but not all is great everywhere.

For instance, in Russia, an African-American student was stabbed multiple times in Volgograd

Moscow Through Brown Eyes: Newsflash: African American Stabbed in Volgograd

Should people of color go to Russia? | Matador Network

African-American student stabbed in Russia - World news - Europe | NBC News

I would thoroughly read all of this links. And this is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies