Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've had it up to here with blacks.
...and I'm pretty sure that many of us aren't too fond of you, either.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Most people look at other people and "profile" in their minds and when things don't "fit"; those people are rattled.
I think environment plays a huge part of it. Too many people just need to get out and meet others who differ from them, I find people who have that mentality pretty much never converse with people outside of their demographics!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
My thoughts:

I know all about the light skin/dark skin tension that exists among some Black people. I personally never understood it. There's beauty in all shades as far as I'm concerned. I'm somewhere in the middle, but I guess to a darker skinned Black person, I'm probably no different than someone the the complexion of say, Lionel Richie. I've never faced discrimination of any sort from dark-skinned Blacks though. At least not in my face. That kind of prejudice is really dumb to me.

I've never experienced discrimination from Asians either. I've had Asian friends and dated Asian girls. I've never met an Asian (American-born or immigrant) that looked down at me. Mind you, what people say when you're not around, you'll never know.

Generally, my only experiences with racism have been with White people, but it doesn't happen very often at all. Usually, it occurs when for some reason or another, I'm in a very small remote town in the Midwest or the South. I've never been in a situation where I feared for my life though.

It's also important to note that I have faced some discrimination from some dumb Blacks, but not over the shade of my skin. It's generally been idiots who have false notions of what is and isn't "Black". I don't live in the ghetto (I grew up in it though). I'm not really into rap music. I'm rather nerdy actually. And don't get me started on religion. Black people are overdosed on religion. The second I declare that I don't believe there is any invisible man in the sky, I'm automatically "White". It's really dumb. I refuse to change though to satisfy other people.
I am similar to you but a female. I also don't get discrimination from dumb black people though based on color, mostly like you, it has to do with me not being religious. It is extra surprising for people being that I am a black female and there is that image of us black women being uber religious with the big hats going to church multiple times per week and crying out "Lord" and "Jesus" all the time. I can see the shock when I tell people I am not religious. I am an atheist and not many black people who even are atheist will admit as such because their black friends and family will label them demons. I have also been told I have too much white influence due to my non-religion lol! That is a trip in and of itself IMO being that even though I grew up from birth to 18 around a good mix of all sorts of people, my adult years have been primarily spent around black people. I live in Atlanta and went to an HBCU and primarily lived in heavily black neighborhoods. So the lack of religion from whites is always funny to me. Most white people are religious as well anyway, I don't think I knew any non-religious white families growing up. They didn't go to church as often as black people but even our Asian neighbors were members of a Christian church. I went to church often but during Sunday schools and VBS I got kicked out often starting at age 8 for "thinking to much" and "asking too many questions" lol. I like to talk to people who get shocked at my non-religion today. My family also knows not to bother me about it anymore and they tip toe around me as if I'm going to act like a nut if they ask me if me or my kids can go to church. Unfortunately my in-laws are another story and I am dreading an upcoming visit because I will have to put some of them in their place in regards to trying to force/persuade me to go to their church and to join a church and ignoring me when I tell them I'm not religious and an atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
When I went to a mostly white school in New York I had many white people who asked me "Why I did not talk like other black people", "Why I was not as loud as other black people", "Why rap music was not my favorite music". I have had more white people tell me I act "white" than black people. So their go's miu's myth that only black people do it!
I agree with this as well. I have had white people say the same to me moreso than black people. I can only remember one black girl who said that I "acted white" and that was because she was trying to be tough and show off in front of her friends. I laughed at her and told her she was an idiot. I have had quite a few white classmates, even when I was younger in our integrated neighborhood tell me I wasn't like "other black people" or I spoke really well or "talked like a white person." Ironically, none of the Asians said anything about the way I spoke or behave. I was a rap fan in high school, but I also like country music, classical, and hard rock, mostly from the late 60s and 70s. I like some pop music as well. Those white classmates who spoke of how odd I was in speech and behavior were usually impressed at how quickly I read things and how I loved to argue with them about topics in class or current events. I also was not afraid to challenge teachers in regards to rules and other goings on. So to them I was a weirdo lol. I also didn't curse or have an attitude, which is something that my white co-workers still comment about in how "professional" I am compared to other black women in our company.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
When I went to a mostly white school in New York I had many white people who asked me "Why I did not talk like other black people", "Why I was not as loud as other black people", "Why rap music was not my favorite music". I have had more white people tell me I act "white" than black people. So their go's miu's myth that only black people do it!
I've been in a situation where a few White college students have questioned me because I wasn't considered "Black enough". I was kind of shocked when I heard of this happening in college of all places. However, when I think about it, some of these kids are used to the idea of Black people sounding a certain way, and if you deviate from it, it gets questioned. This was in suburban Atlanta.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
RACIST!!!!

Thats all libs got

over and over again

RACIST!!!
Says the racist Republican!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I'm African-American and in my opinion most racism in this country is from other African-Americans. I've come to the conclusion that blacks in this country are just all around ignorant and racist. And they think it's okay. It's definitely the majority of AA who are like this. The minority - like me - are the smart and intelligent ones. The rest are filled with issues and I simply do not care to make excuses for them. A grown adult has no business acting like they do towards other races. Especially whites. White hatred is very very high in the black community. They cry racism all the time and act like the victims. But they make movies, tv shows, and music with anti-white blatantly racist comments and it's sickening. I've had it up to here with blacks.
Like you, I have dealt with some Black people with very bad attitudes, who often act like hood rats. However, I don't go writing off the entire Black population. Your comment of "I've had it up to here with Blacks". Does this mean you're going to hate your own ethnicity?

This is what I've learned. I can't hate my own ethnicity. It is dysfunctional. Also, remember this. You say you're African-American. Please remember that while you are saying disturbing things about African-Americans, you are also African-American. Saying that "you're not like the rest" isn't going to save you from being treated differently. It isn't going to keep you from getting profiled.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
Default Explain that to this Youtuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Like you, I have dealt with some Black people with very bad attitudes, who often act like hood rats. However, I don't go writing off the entire Black population. Your comment of "I've had it up to here with Blacks". Does this mean you're going to hate your own ethnicity?

This is what I've learned. I can't hate my own ethnicity. It is dysfunctional. Also, remember this. You say you're African-American. Please remember that while you are saying disturbing things about African-Americans, you are also African-American. Saying that "you're not like the rest" isn't going to save you from being treated differently. It isn't going to keep you from getting profiled.
Can someone PLEASE explain that to this deluded woman on Youtube. She's a well known prostitute and feminist in Los Angeles.

This Is Why I Don't Copwatch For Black and Hispanic Men Part 2 of 9 - YouTube

Raven Raw - YouTube

Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
Quote:
I'm African-American and in my opinion most racism in this country is from other African-Americans. I've come to the conclusion that blacks in this country are just all around ignorant and racist. And they think it's okay. It's definitely the majority of AA who are like this. The minority - like me - are the smart and intelligent ones. The rest are filled with issues and I simply do not care to make excuses for them. A grown adult has no business acting like they do towards other races. Especially whites. White hatred is very very high in the black community. They cry racism all the time and act like the victims. But they make movies, tv shows, and music with anti-white blatantly racist comments and it's sickening. I've had it up to here with blacks.

Sorry but, it does not matter whether you are intelligent or ignorant, nor whether you are sagging your pants or wearing a tux. You will still be seen as a black male. Like you I get disgusted when I hear blacks spewing venom towards whites for no good reason b/c not all whites are the enemy, but I'm not so bitter that I would give up on my own race. While I have thought about it b/c we do seem to be our own worst enemy. Outside of white nationalists, we as blacks tend to treat each other the worst and this post is proof. Once we get some education, or land a job on corporate America we tend to want to distance ourselves from blacks that have less and that's not right. W/ that being said, I know too many blacks who blend in w/ both and have some empathy to say "screw all of you" to every black person. Black men tend to transition the easiest to me, from the corporate guy to the homeboy. They can take on multiple roles w/o compromising themselves.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Can someone PLEASE explain that to this deluded woman on Youtube. She's a well known prostitute and feminist in Los Angeles.

This Is Why I Don't Copwatch For Black and Hispanic Men Part 2 of 9 - YouTube

Raven Raw - YouTube
I think that would be difficult, if not impossible.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I'm not having open racism issues with any race, nor have i ever had issues with it. I mean, there's been a stupid comment here and there, but i know how to nip stuff like that in the bud and quickly.

So....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies