Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Sorry but, it does not matter whether you are intelligent or ignorant, nor whether you are sagging your pants or wearing a tux. You will still be seen as a black male. Like you I get disgusted when I hear blacks spewing venom towards whites for no good reason b/c not all whites are the enemy, but I'm not so bitter that I would give up on my own race. While I have thought about it b/c we do seem to be our own worst enemy. Outside of white nationalists, we as blacks tend to treat each other the worst and this post is proof. Once we get some education, or land a job on corporate America we tend to want to distance ourselves from blacks that have less and that's not right. W/ that being said, I know too many blacks who blend in w/ both and have some empathy to say "screw all of you" to every black person. Black men tend to transition the easiest to me, from the corporate guy to the homeboy. They can take on multiple roles w/o compromising themselves.
As Black people on this continent our history is strife with forced division and when people are put into mold and begin to take the form they have been in for so long, it will be difficult to either break or remold the people. I do think however the younger generation is less likely to distance ourselves from each other for whatever reason, what we must do is educate ourselves and stop self-hating ourselves

Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,409 times
Quote:
I am similar to you but a female. I also don't get discrimination from dumb black people though based on color, mostly like you, it has to do with me not being religious. It is extra surprising for people being that I am a black female and there is that image of us black women being uber religious with the big hats going to church multiple times per week and crying out "Lord" and "Jesus" all the time. I can see the shock when I tell people I am not religious. I am an atheist and not many black people who even are atheist will admit as such because their black friends and family will label them demons. I have also been told I have too much white influence due to my non-religion lol! That is a trip in and of itself IMO being that even though I grew up from birth to 18 around a good mix of all sorts of people, my adult years have been primarily spent around black people.
Haha, I can so identify with you. I am not an athiest, but I am not a Christian, despite being raised as such and baptized. The best term I've read that captures my view on religion is agnostic theism. I told my sister that once and she said, "Don't go around telling other people about that. I really need to pray for you." My mom is convinced I am going to hell if I don't accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I volunteer, I give money to charities, I am a kind person, but none of that matters to them. They are concerned about my salvation. I just try to avoid the topic; it's not worth arguing over.

Add me to the list of black people who've been told they "talk white" or "don't act black" by both white and black people. I just love someone non-black telling me, the black person, how to be black.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Tell your friends that they should check out C-D. I think that will rethink their opinions.

See below:

As for Asians, the problem isn't racism per se, but rather cultural styles that have led to confusion, things like not putting change in people's hands but rather placing it on the counter.

Personally, my experience with Asians has been overwhelmingly positive. Outside of white folks in my 60 years of experience the only racism that I've experienced was from a one Greek immigrant, and two Africans immigrants (I don't consider this to be racism in the usual sense) who mistakenly believed that they were better than African Americans. As for the light skinned black skinned think, in certain sections of New Orleans way back in the day, the brown paper bag thing was in full effect. Once again, I only had to contend with it once.

As for experiences with white racism, I lost count decades ago.

PS - In the late seventies I was in Lithuania and really got sick of being stared at. When approached everyone assumed that I was a Cuban boxer.
As a black man too, who is married to a white woman, I'll tell you this: The racism I've experienced with ALL cultures is astounding. I don't really care if you are white, black, purple, Asian, Polish, French, Italian, et al. I've had racist insults thrown/hurled at me all over the world.

I was in China this past April and the blatant stares and comments made toward my wife and I were shocking (I have a very close friend who teaches at the University of Beijing and she is Chinese; speaks perfect Mandarin and Cantonese; so yes, I know exactly what was said of me). Worse was when I was with my friend alone and the comments about her being with a black man. So, yes, in my opinion, Asians are very much racist toward blacks.

In my personal job, I see quite of bit of racism with middle easterners and blacks. They are very "suspicious" of black people and usually when I have interactions with them, their comments are very derogatory.

So, in a nutshell, I must agree. Although I find ALL races racist to different degrees, in retrospect, the general "white" population really isn't more racist then other groups.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
The color-centric thinking is really getting old. Race means nothing, so get over yourselves. None of us are special, outside of our actions.

Grow some skin thicker than tissue paper and you'll be fine.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
The color-centric thinking is really getting old. Race means nothing, so get over yourselves. None of us are special, outside of our actions.

Please ....no one even care unless its overt and blatant.

I have thick skin, but I'm still not gonna put up with blatant racism...not that I even experience it anyway.

But to say that "race means nothing" is stupid and naive. This is America. It ALWAYS means something even if that something is insignificant.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post

I'm betting you're white or otherwise not black.

What do I win?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
2. Start talking like educated citizens instead of grade school dropouts.
You know plwhit, among the most sought after speaking voices in the last 30 years has been the voice of James Earl Jones and Dennis Hastert. The only person that comes close to Patrick Stewart's diction is Avery Brooks. There is no denying the superb speaking voices of Maya Angelou, Paul Robeson, Jonas Gun, Sidney Poitier, Roscoe Lee Brown, Donna Brazile, Eugene Robinson, James Baldwin, Langston Hughes, Zora Neil Hurston, Opra Winfrey, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Michael Dorn, Laurence Fishburne, Yaphet Kotto, Charles S. Dutton, Billy Dee Williams, Ossie Davis, Giancarlo Esposito, Courtney B. Vance, Don Cheadle, just to name a small, a minuscule few.

When 137, scholars of rhetoric were polled regarding the 100 greatest speeches of the 20th century, they listed alongside John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower and Douglas MacArthur, El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz, Jessie Jackson as well as Barbara Jordan (twice), and Martin Luther King Jr, and were award six of the top 25 for their oratory.

You seem to confuse those with lingering aspects of Southern idiomatic speech as being inarticulate even though they are as articulate or inarticulate as any of their white southern southern counterparts. But if you listen to even the most "Ghetto" young African Americans who were born and raised by multi-generational northern African Americans you would find few if any of those tendencies. Of course that doesn't speak to the millions of African American, southern or not, college educated or not, who would speak you under the table.

It is really time for you to get off your most decidedly racist bent and join your fellows on Stormfront, Free Republic or whatever right wing and racist website were you can feed your racist fantasies. Really.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think that would be difficult, if not impossible.
Someone please tell me what she said that's wrong?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM

132 posts, read 122,533 times
I'm not really concerned with how non-white ethnic groups view black people. Their opinions are meaningless to me.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM

667 posts, read 940,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
What can be done about immigrants who treat African Americans with contempt?
Dems have imposed the Immigration Act in 1962, thereafter more a more Asians go to this country. Say 'thank' to liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies