Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 06:28 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times

Advertisements

^^^ Plus this by Enigma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Many people seek out knowledge that reinforces their world view. Therefore, they are not on the net looking to educate themselves or learn new information--they are looking for information which allows them to continue to believe whatever it is they believe.

Also--many people believe that what they read on the net is true. Since anyone can set up a website and post opinions, people seem to think that it is officially correct info. E.g., people on this forum link to obscure websites that are only opinions as if they are an actual news source and credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 07:04 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Technology causes less people to look into how things actually work. Hit a pretty, pretty button and out comes the result.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:26 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Its been mentioned already, but I want to put it in different words. You need to learn HOW to think rather than what to think. Schools do a terrible job of teaching critical thinking in most cases. I was lucky that my dad raised me to be an independent thinker, and that I had the Internet (YouTube specifically) where I came across people who demonstrated objective, rational, critical, scientific thinking very clearly.

You can have all the information in the world, but it's worthless if you a) aren't interested in it, and b) don't know what to make of it. For people who are curious and value learning about the world and seeking the truth, the Internet is a great gift.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Many people seek out knowledge that reinforces their world view. Therefore, they are not on the net looking to educate themselves or learn new information--they are looking for information which allows them to continue to believe whatever it is they believe.

Also--many people believe that what they read on the net is true. Since anyone can set up a website and post opinions, people seem to think that it is officially correct info. E.g., people on this forum link to obscure websites that are only opinions as if they are an actual news source and credible.

Bullseye! Pretty well nails one of the biggest issues. People can reinforce all manner of skewed thinking, even justify and enable bad habits and behavior, because they can find something in the internet to back them up. And, they will take what they find before listening to their whole family telling them different. Just because what they found is what they want to hear.

One need not look to hard to see this type of thing. Sometimes, I think technology and the internet are a bigger problem than drugs.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Access to all that information. Yea, ask a question, the answer (s) are at ones fingertips. However, the electronic age has ushered in a beast, as well. Instead of going out in search of things, people accept what pops up on the screen, and call it good. No need to actually experience something. What's on the screen tells you what its like, what it is, and, who needs to know more. Besides, gotta text Mom (who's in the next room) and find out if lunch is ready.

People have "relationships" with each other, without ever having met. All of it via text, e mail, sending pics, etc. And, they actually become so emotionally "involved" , a "breakup" drives them to suicide. The day someone e I've never even met, can crawl THAT far j side my head, let alone my heart, and I've never even seen them, with my own eyes, I would WANT to die. Being electronically connected, to everything, has stolen peoples souls.

People rave and rant, about the "dangers" of this that and the other. Guns, drugs, swimming pools, wtfe. Ban this , that or the other, save lives by doing so, on and on it goes. Why? Because they saw it on the internet, and now they're an expert. No need to actually have an experience, of any kind, with the issue they're raving about. Who needs , firsthand, knowledge, let alone experience and, dare I say, ..wisdom. Its like a bad joke, something out of a movie. I've bad people, on here, who , admittedly, never been further from home than their work, (if they have a job) try and tell me what places I have actually been to, lived in, really experienced, are like. Really?!

Read it on the internet. Never been there, but, there's no way that things are actually that way. People are substituting, real world experience and hands on, for what pops up on their screen. And , treating that as reality. Its frightening. People are so plugged in, they can't think for themselves.

Smart phone and computers are becoming a physical part of people. Their brains can't work, without being jacked in. If they have go change a tire, they have to Google how to do it. People can't problem solve, and think through something, without having the ability to access a path, online. Think I'm crazy? Fine. When you walk out the door, tomorrow morning, leave your smart phone. Deliberately, leave it on your nightstand, or whatever. Spend your day without being connected.I do it. Regular.

When I come home, the thing has blown up with calls, texts, what have you, with various people wanting to know why they couldn't get ahold of me. Why? Cuz I didn't want to be got hold of. Wanted to be left alone. Its amazing, how many people just can't understand that. Why would anyone want to be out of touch? Unplugged. Hell, I might have run out of gas, or needed to wipe my azz. Who knows what could have happened?! Sbeesh...get over it. Unplugged from the information main frame, one might actually learn something.
I think this is an excellent post.

At family dinners, I may (and have) make a statement of what I believed to be a fact, only to have family members all pull out their 'smart' phones to google if what I said is true. If I made a misstatement, they let me know immediately. If not, the phones go back on the table as they wait for the next opportunity.

In 2008 my wife and I visited China. When we visited the Great Wall we hiked up and sat and enjoyed the view and experience, and talked about what we were seeing. Other tourists were coming up, holding up their phones to take a photograph, and then hiked back down. I wonder if they even really thought of what they were experiencing.

Years ago, with the advent of cell phones, I got a glimpse into the future: my wife and I went to a restaurant to eat. Two couples were at the next table. One person's telephone rang, and he answered it. In response to a question by the caller, the gentleman said "No, I'm not busy. Just eating. What are you up to?" I felt bad for his companions, who sat quietly eating while the gentleman carried on a conversation. I guess nowadays all four would be immersed on their individual telephones.

One of my main problems with the 'internet' is that a person may easily find opinions to support his or her own opinion, regardless of what it is. For instance, I think that pedophilia has increased for this very reason.

Before 1980 or so, such twisted people had no 'feedback', and more than likely went through life struggling with their feelings and urges, knowing that 'society' would strike harshly if they acted on their urges. Now? A pedo may go online and discover scores of others celebrating such activity, and even claiming that it is 'normal'. With such positive feedback, it is no wonder that more and more such individuals feel free attack children.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Makes no sense. Ease of access and magnitude of information availability should mean that people are getting smarter not dumber. What is going on in this nation?
Are people dumber?

Given the same access to information as we have today would the masses have demonstrated greater critical thinking skills than they do today? I don't think so.

People tend to believe that which they read and hear that validates their perceptions and dismiss that which conflicts.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I think this is an excellent post.

At family dinners, I may (and have) make a statement of what I believed to be a fact, only to have family members all pull out their 'smart' phones to google if what I said is true. If I made a misstatement, they let me know immediately. If not, the phones go back on the table as they wait for the next opportunity.

In 2008 my wife and I visited China. When we visited the Great Wall we hiked up and sat and enjoyed the view and experience, and talked about what we were seeing. Other tourists were coming up, holding up their phones to take a photograph, and then hiked back down. I wonder if they even really thought of what they were experiencing.

Years ago, with the advent of cell phones, I got a glimpse into the future: my wife and I went to a restaurant to eat. Two couples were at the next table. One person's telephone rang, and he answered it. In response to a question by the caller, the gentleman said "No, I'm not busy. Just eating. What are you up to?" I felt bad for his companions, who sat quietly eating while the gentleman carried on a conversation. I guess nowadays all four would be immersed on their individual telephones.

One of my main problems with the 'internet' is that a person may easily find opinions to support his or her own opinion, regardless of what it is. For instance, I think that pedophilia has increased for this very reason.

Before 1980 or so, such twisted people had no 'feedback', and more than likely went through life struggling with their feelings and urges, knowing that 'society' would strike harshly if they acted on their urges. Now? A pedo may go online and discover scores of others celebrating such activity, and even claiming that it is 'normal'. With such positive feedback, it is no wonder that more and more such individuals feel free attack children.
Has pedophillia increased? Or are we just more aware of it, now? Do we prosecute it more than in the past?

No telling how many instances went unreported in the past. Most women I know in my age demographic have encountered situations that now are front page news.

The Catholic Church, schools and Boy Scouts have been covering their own, all along.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:48 AM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Makes no sense. Ease of access and magnitude of information availability should mean that people are getting smarter not dumber. What is going on in this nation?
People refuse to acknowledge information that does not fit a personal need or belief system. I know I use this example all the time but let's look at blue collar union workers. The TPP will offshore what few jobs are left, illegals are driving down wages and taking jobs Americans could have. The cost of government entitlements takes more and more of their pay check. Obama lied to them about Obamacare. The list goes on and on yet they still vote Democrat? Yet, they can't for the life of them figure out why unions are going the way of the dinosaur.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Actually I think people are smarter than they use to be. Back in the days my parents we're 100% behind the party of their parents and community. There are way more divergence in this these days, to the point where communities have just learne to accept differences of opinions instead of castrate them. When I grew up my mother was 100% democrat as was my grandmother. Disagreeing with this position got you frowned upon by anyone you knew. These days my family knows I'm a strong Libertarian and hates democrats. But they don't mind, and actually I've had great debates with my family members about this.

I'm black and in the black community not being a democrat was just frowned up heavily. These days not so much. While much of the black community would disagree with you, a ton of black people totally understand why you may not blindly affiliate with a party. I went to a majority black bar a few months ago, where the patrons were discussing politics. The general position from most people involved in the debate that both parties suck, and the one blind party loyalist was out numbered. 20 years ago in that same bar, it would have been full of party loyalist, and anyone who disagreed would have been booted.

So times are changing.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:05 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Reality television. Facebook. Twitter.
Instagram. Political correctness. Lousy role models.
Entitlement. Mix that all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies