Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You made the best example of how other people ARE COMING HERE and trying to force their belief systems on us. Some liberal judges are actually using Sharia law to base decisions on. These same people are the ones who will take a life for not believing what they believe.

Laws are a construct of man. Freedom is something you are born with, and man takes it away.

To not be able to think and speak freeely isn't freedom at all.
Got anything but your opinion or wackaloon links?
You know, something credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
According to basic human compassion. You not caring says a lot.

How do you define "basic human compassion," what does compassion have to do with free speech and from where does such a "basic" compassion come?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,622,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Got anything but your opinion or wackaloon links?
You know, something credible.
www.thenation.com/article/168378/true-story-sharia-american-courts

here it is...maybe you should you know, start reading the news...

Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,622,695 times
Do I accept that some people in this world do not have freedom of speech? No..I cannot imagine not having freedoms. However, when you travel to other countries you get an idea to shut your mouth and fall in line....is it fair? No, but it is what it is...
This is why I thank my lucky stars I'm an American.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Do I accept that some people in this world do not have freedom of speech? No..I cannot imagine not having freedoms. However, when you travel to other countries you get an idea to shut your mouth and fall in line....is it fair? No, but it is what it is...
This is why I thank my lucky stars I'm an American.
Agreed. But I think out own leaders should do more to promote it. Not simply say we accept it. Today would've been a great chance to explain freedom of speech and why it's so important and necessary. But he didn't.
To not live free is tyranny, and it should be spoke against any chance we get.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Barack said today that "we" accept that. I strongly disagree and think that statement was foolish.

I am not saying we are to wage war on those that don't have freedom of speech but we should reject not accept it. All Americans should be aware how powerful and essential the fundamental right to say what you want is. We should look down on those who don't accept that. It is a form of tryanny.

I do not know how you can be an American and enjoy and understand the freedom we have and think that the rest of the world should not have these same rights. They are basic human rights everyone should have.
I don't he meant "accept" as in "think it's OK". Rather, "accept" as in "understand the reality". Kind of like accepting the idea that muslims are going to riot because they are offended by a cartoon. You may not agree, but you see the reality for what it is.

Far different from thinking they shouldn't have the same rights.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The internet.
So you think Islam needs some internet ?

U.N.: Freedom Of Speech Doesn’t Mean Speaking Freely About Islam

Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
www.thenation.com/article/168378/true-story-sharia-american-courts

here it is...maybe you should you know, start reading the news...
You do realize that you're citing a piece that's strongly in favor of maintaining judges' leeway to uphold a civil contract - even one written according to Sharia tradition - as long as it doesn't contradict US legislation? Frankly, I'd think two parties' freedom to enter into a contract based on whatever they consider right - be it Islamic, Mosaic or Amish tradition - should be upheld by anyone in favor of personal freedom.

Good link, though.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Have you ever visited a foreign country, outside of western-style resorts?

If you haven't, you'll find that not everyone agrees with our concept of free speech and, in some cases, it's considered downright dangerous or rude.

In any case, it seems that you're suggesting we measure the whole world based upon OUR standards and that's something which has gotten us into a LOT of trouble in the past. Not only that, but other people resent it.

Gee who woulda guessed that? How would YOU feel if another country came here and tried to force YOU to accept THEIR standards? Think Sharia law, for instance.
Did you miss this sentence from the OP --- " I am not saying we are to wage war on those that don't have freedom of speech but we should reject not accept it."

Even the dopey U.N. recognizes freedom of speeech in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights ---
  • Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
The U.S. meddles in foreign affairs for womens and gay rights, though we sometimes fall short. We 'accept' that some of our buddy nations view those issues differently, but nonetheless, speak for those rights.

When it comes to freedom of speech, oh no, it's war or shut up.

[Accepting the OP is accurate.]

Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Barack said today that "we" accept that. I strongly disagree and think that statement was foolish.

I am not saying we are to wage war on those that don't have freedom of speech but we should reject not accept it. All Americans should be aware how powerful and essential the fundamental right to say what you want is. We should look down on those who don't accept that. It is a form of tryanny.

I do not know how you can be an American and enjoy and understand the freedom we have and think that the rest of the world should not have these same rights. They are basic human rights everyone should have.
Feel free to link to his quote.

Or... not...

Maybe you're talking about his speech at the UN? Here it is:
Obama remarks at U.N. 2012 (text) - POLITICO.com

Of course, he said nothing of the sort you claim therein.

Well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies