Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:13 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,541,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Barack said today that "we" accept that. I strongly disagree and think that statement was foolish.

I am not saying we are to wage war on those that don't have freedom of speech but we should reject not accept it. All Americans should be aware how powerful and essential the fundamental right to say what you want is. We should look down on those who don't accept that. It is a form of tryanny.

I do not know how you can be an American and enjoy and understand the freedom we have and think that the rest of the world should not have these same rights. They are basic human rights everyone should have.
liberals dont believe in freedom of speech, unless they agree with what you are saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,270,463 times
Quote:
Barack said today that "we" accept that. I strongly disagree and think that statement was foolish.

I am not saying we are to wage war on those that don't have freedom of speech but we should reject not accept it. All Americans should be aware how powerful and essential the fundamental right to say what you want is. We should look down on those who don't accept that. It is a form of tryanny.

I do not know how you can be an American and enjoy and understand the freedom we have and think that the rest of the world should not have these same rights. They are basic human rights everyone should have.
Apparently you have not traveled outside the USA very much at all. Try Napoleonic law in Costa Rica.

What right do we have to force our ideas and ways on another country?

Napoleonic Law and Costa Rica

Even though the Napoleonic Code was not the first civil code and did not represent the whole of his empire, it was one of the most influential. It was adopted in many countries occupied by the French during the Napoleonic Wars and thus formed the basis of the private law systems also of Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, (and their former colonies), as well as Poland (1808–1946), as well as the German regions on the left bank of the Rhine. The Napoleonic code was in use until the introduction of the Gesetzbuch in 1900 as the first common civil code for all of Germany.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You made the best example of how other people ARE COMING HERE and trying to force their belief systems on us. Some liberal judges are actually using Sharia law to base decisions on. These same people are the ones who will take a life for not believing what they believe.

Laws are a construct of man. Freedom is something you are born with, and man takes it away.

To not be able to think and speak freeely isn't freedom at all.
We would like a name of one of these so called Liberal judges using Sharia law.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
www.thenation.com/article/168378/true-story-sharia-american-courts

here it is...maybe you should you know, start reading the news...
THE NATION is a slanted newspaper. Un trust worthy for the truth. Slanted towards republican ideas.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 PM

39,902 posts, read 26,600,870 times
Quote:

I don't give a rats azz what the rest of the world believes. None of my business. If they want the same freedoms we have, the will need the initiative, intellegence and integrity our founding fathers did to acheive it.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,335,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And other countries have as much or more freedom of speech than the US.
Name 3, please.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,761,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I searched the speech for "accept" and got this. . .which seems nothing like what you are saying. What quote are you referring too? The acceptance is more a point toward the other countries that they need to accept/know that sometimes people will make fun of you.

"Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As President of our country and Commander-in-Chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day -- (laughter) -- and I will always defend their right to do so."
It's amazing how people misrepresent everything these days.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,750,728 times
Quote:

Where did the president say that others should not have them?
The fact is that other countries do not have the same rights. Accepting this as fact does not in any way, shape or form imply that we wouldn't like everyone to have them.

Borrowing from a very famous program, the very first step towards improving a negative truth is accepting that truth for what it is. How are we served if we ignore the fact that others do not have the same rights as we?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:57 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,050,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Apparently you have not traveled outside the USA very much at all. Try Napoleonic law in Costa Rica.

What right do we have to force our ideas and ways on another country?

Napoleonic Law and Costa Rica

Even though the Napoleonic Code was not the first civil code and did not represent the whole of his empire, it was one of the most influential. It was adopted in many countries occupied by the French during the Napoleonic Wars and thus formed the basis of the private law systems also of Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, (and their former colonies), as well as Poland (1808–1946), as well as the German regions on the left bank of the Rhine. The Napoleonic code was in use until the introduction of the Gesetzbuch in 1900 as the first common civil code for all of Germany.
I have been overseas. And I am not talking about forcing ideas. I am talking about simple freedom that all human beings should have.

I understand many on the Left, don't like our Constitution as written, but I expected you to understand our rights and how important they are. The freedom to speak out, on anything, should be a right had by all. Man should not be able to take away these God given rights from their citizens.

No where did I say forcing anything. Though if it were possible and feasible to destroy all those who enslave their citizens or do the same to all tyrants, I would be all for that. But its not possible nor feasible. However, whenever we get the opportunity to discuss freedom, we should do so. We should promote it and proclaim how these rights should not be taken away and how important they are to have. That message should get out there over and over and over.

Too many people in this country take for granted the rights we do have. I can not imagine not being free, not being free to live and to speak out when I chose. A life that you can not do so, is not freedom, not even close. And we should want that for all people, not just those who are blessed to be born in a free country.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,050,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Where did the president say that others should not have them?
The fact is that other countries do not have the same rights. Accepting this as fact does not in any way, shape or form imply that we wouldn't like everyone to have them.

Borrowing from a very famous program, the very first step towards improving a negative truth is accepting that truth for what it is. How are we served if we ignore the fact that others do not have the same rights as we?
I didnt mean that he said they should not have them. But I really did not like how he worded that portion of it. Frankly, who ever wrote that speech, couldve done a much better job with that particular comment. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but to me "accept" is a very poor choice of word to use their. It's as if we think its acceptable even if we think its wrong. I dont see it as acceptable and it should condemned to take away freedom like that from people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies