Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 04:43 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Ummm, no. Gay or straight couples could have a secular ceremony or religious ceremony, just as they do now. Every religious institution would be free to make their own determination about whether they would perform such marriages.
Gulp . I made a terrible mistake that reversed what I wanted to say.

For people who oppose ssm because they want to keep the religious sanctity of 'marriage' for themselves, nothing changes --- they CAN do it now or under your 'compromise.'

Those people Lose civic 'marriage.'

Don't you see that for 'the religious types,' Nothing Changes in the Religious realm. Both they and ss couples who find a church, temple, mosque, coven, whatever, Can be religiously married Now And under your proposal.

In a 'compromise,' each side generally gains or loses things. In your proposal, people who oppose ssm gain what ? That gays will stop efforts to institute civic ssmarriage ?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,501,204 times
I`m against gay marriage because I think that is some people`s way of trying to legitimize and have homosexuality accepted as normal behavior. In my opinion it is not normal. I know there are varying polls but when an estimated 3-5% of the population is homosexual, that is not normal. I`m not saying they should burn you at the stake, line you up in front of a firing squad, put you in prison, or discriminate against you in the work place, but it shouldn`t be accepted as being a normal form of behavior.

What adults do behind closed doors when noone is getting hurt, is not my business or the government`s business. But it should not be accepted in the public square as a normal, romantic,sexual relationship.
I know that for most gay people, it is an inherited condition. But it still doesn`t make it normal behavior. It is abnormal. People are born with all sorts of problems, diseases, physical conditions,mental problems,etc. Some people are born into rich families, some are born in poor villages in Africa, some born into royalty,etc. It`s just the way life is. Should we allow poligamy? Should we allow sibling marriage, should we allow people marrying animals? Everyone has their cross to bear and their issues to deal with.

Again, I understand that most are born that way, just like people are born with all sorts of problems, conditions, ailments, and into situations that are not the norm. And I believe that you should have the right to work and live in society without being bullied. But homosexualty should not be legitimized in the public forum and become an accepted familial relationship as that between a man and a woman.

I`m not hating (which someone who is against gay marriage is always labeled), but just pointing out my objection to it. I`m not hating the person or blaming them for their feelings. Just like I don`t blame the poor starving kid in Africa for his situation or the child born with mental problems for his. I don`t blame the alcoholic for being born with the disposition toward that abnormal behavior either, because it isn`t their fault. But it should not be accpeted as normal behavior. I worked at a major airline for years and have gay friends and I treat them with respect. I have gone on trips with my friends and out to clubs with them (when I was younger), hung out in their house.etc. But I do not think that sexual lifestyle should be accepted in society as normal as the other 95% who are not that way.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I`m against gay marriage because I think that is some people`s way of trying to legitimize and have homosexuality accepted as normal behavior.
it is normal behavior.

Quote:
In my opinion it is not normal.
and in the opinion of others, its perfectly normal.

Quote:
I know there are varying polls but when an estimated 3-5% of the population is homosexual, that is not normal.
Roughly 0.3% of the US Population are legally blind. Are you saying they are not normal?

Roughly 12% of the US Population are physically handicapped (either born or became handicapped). Are you saying they are not normal?

Roughly 0.4% of the US Population are born deaf. Are you saying they are not normal?

Just because they are a minority of the population, doesn't mean they are not normal.

Quote:
I`m not saying they should burn you at the stake, line you up in front of a firing squad, put you in prison, or discriminate against you in the work place, but it shouldn`t be accepted as being a normal form of behavior.
It is normal behavior whether you like it or not.

Quote:
What adults do behind closed doors when noone is getting hurt, is not my business or the government`s business.
What gays and lesbians have been saying all along.

Quote:
But it should not be accepted in the public square as a normal, romantic,sexual relationship.
sorry, it is normal behavior and should be accepted for what it is.

Quote:
I know that for most gay people, it is an inherited condition.
Fail on your part. Being gay is not inherited. Most gays are born to heterosexual parents.

Quote:
But it still doesn`t make it normal behavior.

Quote:
It is abnormal.
you know what is abnormal behavior? Humans who do not hunt for their own food, or live in packs. Every aspect of modern human behavior is ABNORMAL when weighed against our origins.

Quote:
Should we allow poligamy? Should we allow sibling marriage, should we allow people marrying animals? Everyone has their cross to bear and their issues to deal with.
and your logical fallacy of a slippery slope argument begins.

Quote:
But homosexualty should not be legitimized in the public forum and become an accepted familial relationship as that between a man and a woman.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Religious extremists are a waste of oxygen. No sense spending your time trying to use rational arguments.
This. ^^^^

Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I'll also add...instead of encouraging your kids to be gay, shouldn't you be encouraging them NOT to be?
Works that way everywhere else except for the radical left extremists back yards.
Or.......we could encourage our kids to be true to themselves (whether that be gay, straight, or something in between) by letting them know that we will always love them and accept them for who they are.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
It's not legal in my State. It never will be either. Being gay here is worse than stealing money from the elderly. You are looked down on. You are an outcast. People who did know you...don't want to anymore. Go crawl in your cave and die alone.
I could never live around such bigoted people.

I'm thrilled that my state (Washington) is likely next in line for marriage equality.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
the word gay has no business in a youngsters vocabulary any more then as Paris Hilton says, the disgusting gay activities
You're quoting Paris Hilton?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I don't eblieve in delimating marriage in the language at all. Its a union between a man and woman as its always beeen.No if i can't have it ;you can't issue at all to me.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its a union between a man and woman as its always beeen.
Actually, not it hasn't. In Ancient Greek culture, ceremonies equal to that a marriage ceremony allowed for Same sex couples to be married (it was more common for two men to join in a recognized union however).

Marriage in its current state, has only existed for a little over 100 years. Before that, women were auctioned off to the person who could offer the highest dowry, and owned as property.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
can someone translate this piece of nonsense?
LOL

Not me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies