Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 AM

73 posts, read 46,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
What about couples who are infertile?

Or who are past childbearing age?

If marriage is for couples to "start their own family together, by the natural method," then what about those couples who can't, or don't want to, start families (by your definition of "family")?

Should they be denied the right to marry?
for sure , that is correct.

Marriage should only be for those who can have children.

There should also be an age limit - 30 maximum.
Quote:
I know there will always be bigots, but I do believe that the law will trump them and that some day marriage equality for everyone will be the norm.
The norm will be attained once the idiotic institution of marriage is abolished for everyone.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-law View Post
for sure , that is correct.

Marriage should only be for those who can have children.
Then that is a total bovine excrement belief. sorry, but procreation is never and should NEVER be a requirement.

You fail to realize that sometimes couples find out AFTER they are married, that they are unable to conceive a child. This happened to my Aunt. 10 years after my aunt and uncle were married, they decided to try and have children. the found out that she couldn't (egg would never implant correctly so she would have constant miscarriages)

Quote:

There should also be an age limit - 30 maximum.
And more and more couples are deciding to have children LATER in life (after 30) because they want to be financially stable to take care of children.

My aunt just gave birth to her 3rd child. She's in her mid 40's.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:02 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
The point here is that people should only be able to get married AFTER they have their first child.
Fail on your part. WHY should the ability to have a child be a requirement for marriage and BEFORE they get married.

Usually, people GET MARRIED first, to start a foundation, so they can READY themselves to have children together.

Quote:
This will do away with all the issues you mention.
You have it backwards. It will add problems to the CURRENT problems we have with single motherhood. HAvING children out of WEDLOCK doesn't GUARANTEE that the couple will get married. We already see this in society.

Quote:
If you haven't had a child by 30 then you cannot marry.
why? Women today are fertile up until age 50 (some women are lucky and can still get pregnant after age 60). Men can go until they are age 90. Why should we pick an arbitrary age of 30? What reason, both politically and biolgoically would you require this?

People get married because they LOVE each other. Whether they are 18 or they are 99 years of age.

The ability to have a CHILD has never been a requirement for marriage, even in the religious sense.

Quote:
It's a fairly simple and logical idea if you think about it.
No it isn't. It's discrimination.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,965 times
Quote:
The point here is that people should only be able to get married AFTER they have their first child.

In what bass ackwards country do you live in?

Aren't you people against having children out of wedlock to begin with? Why would people have a child just to fulfill some crazy requirement by you in order to get married?

Yes childbirth out of wedlock does happen which does (in most cases) lead some couples to getting married, but it is NOT and will NEVER be a requirement.

What about people who are together for 10 years, find out they can't have kids, and get married anyway? What if the husband is infertile or has an operation? There are plenty of married couples who don't want kinds - I know a few myself.

Face facts, kid: your silly, outrageous beliefs are going the way of the dinosaur and will never see the inside of a court room for political justification.

Back to the cave for you, dude.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:

You're digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:09 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,839 times
I'm personally not a big fan of SSM, but civil unions as stated by the OP is a fair compromise. However a fair compromise is not on the table for the groups in favor of SSM. To them its all or force it down our throats (no pun intended). Of course its not up to me to decide. Its up to the people I vote for and the courts to decide.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I'm personally not a big fan of SSM, but civil unions as stated by the OP is a fair compromise. However a fair compromise is not on the table for the groups in favor of SSM. To them its all or force it down our throats (no pun intended). Of course its not up to me to decide. Its up to the people I vote for and the courts to decide.
Right, right, it's only proponents of same-sex marriage who oppose civil unions...

Feel free to get, you know... a clue:
Republicans block civil unions push in Colorado special session | Fox News
North Carolina voters ban gay marriage, civil unions | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I'm personally not a big fan of SSM.
That's cool. So don't have one.

Pretty simple eh?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Love is not a requirement for marriage.

Gays cannot make a family together.

A home and life can be made whether married or not.

so what is the point in this idealistic piece of paper?
If we can not make a family, what are my partner, our children, and I?
What are all of those same sex couples who are sharing their lives and raising their children?

I hope you realize that same sex couples can, and do, have children using all the same methods that hetero couples use.
Sex, artificial insemination, surrogacy, adoption are the methods used.
Do you consider hetero couples who use those methods to have children "not families"?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Gays and lesbians have this idea that they as a culture..are inferior and treated like second rate citizens by the "normals"-...Marriage represents a step in the ladder of social climbing. that they believe will lead to the status as equal members in society. Mean while even 20 years into the future the "normals" will still view them as lower on the food chain...The attempt at achieving equality is probably in vain...and same sex marriage just draws more attention and contempt from the "normals" - sex and mating will always be the norm...no matter how much social engineering takes place...Perhaps this rebellion of sorts will find some level ground and things will go back to 'normal'....and those who love each other will simply be with each other rather than involve themselves in superficial and shallow social climbing..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies