Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You do realize that if only 1% of the population of middle class and above relocate to another country how it will hurt the nation? The bottom 50% dont have the means to relocate so that would mean that only those with money will. There are far more people than you might realize who are planning for such a move. Some of them myself included have doubts that SS will be available when we reach retirement age. If it is I will be even better off. If not then I am still going to live better than if I stayed.
There are only about 1-2 million American expats in the world. I seriously doubt a sizable amount of Americans are going to leave. Heck, probably at last half of them don't know even know what countries exist outside US borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Yes we are actually, how could a small government constitution defending Libertarian not call themselves patriotic???
Based on your posts here, especially on social issues, you are far from small government.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
There are only about 1-2 million American expats in the world. I seriously doubt a sizable amount of Americans are going to leave. Heck, probably at last half of them don't know even know what countries exist outside US borders.
I agree with you to a point. That said as times become more difficult and the ability to live a quality of life becomes harder to do, people will look for alternatives. 10 years ago you never would have convinced me that I would retire away from the USA. 7 years ago I started looking at options. No option in the USA stretches my money further and affords me the life style that I can enjoy in Thailand.
Yes I can buy a house in rual wyoming, or even PA. Do I want my retirement accts taxed so that others can enjoy the fruits of my efforts? Do I want to settle for less so that those who were short sighted can reap the rewards? I dont mnd sharing with family and friends. That is by choice. So 7 years ago I began investing heavily in Thailand. So far the returns are outstanding. I already with my wife own a new home there. I bought a sizable amount of Thai gold and other metals. It's looking very good and none of it is taxable in the USA. I also have my US retirement acct which inspite of the poor government performance of the last decade is still doing well. SS is a crapshoot and I have no faith that it will be there for me so all of that money is a wash. If it survives great, but I hardly count it.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times
[quote=tinman01;26328195]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
To which freedoms do you refer? For example I love to target shoot. In Thailand that will change. I can live without my target shooting. What I can also live without is excessive taxation on my retirement investments. I can also live without much of the drama and lies that are spewed by both parties.
I love my country, i have bled for my country, but I detest DC and the career politicians that have done their level best to destroy a once great nation.
Do I think Obama is evil? NO, but I think the DNC as well as the GOP are.
Yes I know Thailand has issues as well. I can live there a lot cheaper than I can here and believe it or not it is a wonderful country filled with wonderful people.
I lived in Thailand for almost a year: Do you realize that life is cheaper there because it's a poorer country? In Thailand, you'll be a rich American and will have more "rights" and "freedoms" because you'll have more money than the average Thai. If you were a richer American, you'd have more rights in America.

One thing I always found funny in SE Asia: It was the amount of people from Western nations who talked about how much better it was. Certainly, the argument could be made that life in Thailand or other countries was better than their home nation. I certainly enjoyed my time in Thailand and Malaysia. Some people like certain cultures more than others....that's life. But, you need to stop for a second and realize that when you go to a developing nation, and you're a white westerner, you're already a few steps ahead of the locals. Try growing up poor in the very libertarian Thailand. Your taxes may be lower than the US, but how will you pay for school? You must pay your fees before you go to school there. Try buying a car...compared to the salaries of the average Thai, cars are very expensive...and mass transit kind of sucks too. You can be like a lot of Thai families and fit 5 people on one crappy 125cc motorcycle as you go through town.

I'm not saying Thailand (or any other developing nation) isn't a great place because it is...I'm just saying that you have to look and realize WHY it's such a great place to you.

Last edited by bolehboleh; 10-01-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
No. Patriots stay and fight to make this a better country for everyone. Cowards and a$$holes pick up their money and run away (usually sending their $$$ years earlier).
I guess this 3 times wounded in battle vet is a coward and an a$$hole. What is better? Whose version? The version where the non-productive are entitled to the efforts of those who worked hard and saved all of their lives? Capital gains taxes are not just a tax on the wealthy. SS is a maybe at best.
I have worked since I was a child on a small dairyfarm. I have never taken a dime in welfare or unemployment. Somehow I was always able to put money away, often going without lunches and eating small meals. I dont care so much about welfare payments as I do the billions in waste that our elected reps and their supports refer to as a drop in the bucket.
The reality is I have worked my entire life. I think I have also earned the right to decide where I will live in my final years. More to the point I have earned the right to keep as much of my money as possible.
If this offends you I offer no apology.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 PM

[quote=bolehboleh;26331474]
Quote:

I live in Thailand for almost a year: Do you realize that life is cheaper there because it's a poorer country? In Thailand, you'll be a rich American and will have more "rights" and "freedoms" because you'll have more money than the average Thai. If you were a richer American, you'd have more rights in America.

One thing I always found funny in SE Asia: It was the amount of people from Western nations who talked about how much better it was. Certainly, the argument could be made that life in Thailand or other countries was better than their home nation. I certainly enjoyed my time in Thailand and Malaysia. Some people like certain cultures more than others....that's life. But, you need to stop for a second and realize that when you go to a developing nation, and you're a white westerner, you're already a few steps ahead of the locals. Try growing up poor in the very libertarian Thailand. Your taxes may be lower than the US, but how will you pay for school? You must pay your fees before you go to school there. Try buying a car...compared to the salaries of the average Thai, cars are very expensive...and mass transit kind of sucks too. You can be like a lot of Thai families and fit 5 people on one crappy 125cc motorcycle as you go through town.

I'm not saying Thailand (or any other developing nation) isn't a great place because it is...I'm just saying that you have to look and realize WHY it's such a great place to you.
Fair enough and accurate enough as well. That still doesn't change the appeal that Thailand is a great place to retire.
You are correct Thailand is very libertarian. Thai people are fiercly independent and proud of it. In all my trips and travels in Thailand I have seen very few beggers. I see more in 1day trip to DC than I have in my many many trips to Thailand.
The thing I love most about Thailand besides the warm weather and great food is that no one is in my wallet for a handout. Customer service there is second to none. You help someone there and they show genuine gratitude. My wife and own a rubber tree farm. Not huge by Thai standards but it is a money maker. I bought a kabota tractor and allow the neighbors to use the brush hog on it. Without fail I have people come to visit me everytime I go there. My fuel cans are always full and I find notes about oil changes and what not. Thai people humble and proud. I love them.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,304,633 times
Quote:
I agree with you to a point. That said as times become more difficult and the ability to live a quality of life becomes harder to do, people will look for alternatives. 10 years ago you never would have convinced me that I would retire away from the USA. 7 years ago I started looking at options. No option in the USA stretches my money further and affords me the life style that I can enjoy in Thailand.
Yes I can buy a house in rual wyoming, or even PA. Do I want my retirement accts taxed so that others can enjoy the fruits of my efforts? Do I want to settle for less so that those who were short sighted can reap the rewards? I dont mnd sharing with family and friends. That is by choice. So 7 years ago I began investing heavily in Thailand. So far the returns are outstanding. I already with my wife own a new home there. I bought a sizable amount of Thai gold and other metals. It's looking very good and none of it is taxable in the USA. I also have my US retirement acct which inspite of the poor government performance of the last decade is still doing well. SS is a crapshoot and I have no faith that it will be there for me so all of that money is a wash. If it survives great, but I hardly count it.
Is your wife a Thai? I remember there used to be a law that foreigners could only own property if they were married to a Thai national - I think they were/are concerned about foreigners making it unaffordable for locals.

I would enjoy living out there - the people are great, the food is fantastic and the culture is fascinating - definitely one of my favourite countries

Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Is your wife a Thai? I remember there used to be a law that foreigners could only own property if they were married to a Thai national - I think they were/are concerned about foreigners making it unaffordable for locals.

I would enjoy living out there - the people are great, the food is fantastic and the culture is fascinating - definitely one of my favourite countries
Yes my wife is Thai.
Yes that law is still on the books, but as a foreign national you can arrange a long term lease that allows you to sell the property to a Thai national.
Thailand and Thai people are wonderful. To me once out of the City of Bangkok it is paradise.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
Given the path Obama is pursuing to destroy commerce in the USA, I'm looking for alternatives if he wins again. Actually most every American that I'm working with are doing the same.

When it was obvious Obama would win the last time, I pulled most of my money and investments out of the US and saved and built my wealth tremendously by doing so. I'll pull more out if he wins again and liekly emigrate. The 47% will soon be 60% and all incentive to invest and grow the US economy will be gone. For those happy to see the US destroyed, congrats.
I hear that the Libertarian paradise of Somalia is looking for people with money. Have fun.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
I'm afraid wherever I go, the economy will also be affected.

Better we just pool our money and buy a private island somewhere and live off the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies