Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

The DOE, just su*cks revenue. They do nothing for our schools.
Higher education, is not for everyone. They have become paid re-education camps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 AM

80 posts, read 182,066 times
Republicans want money following a child. So that parents can decide what is in the best interest of a child. Democrats want to chain a child to one single unionized school that is driven by interests of teachers and teachers unions. How screwed is it.....

People who can afford to move to a better school district do just this. Who cannot afford are left hostages of a failing school.

I am an immigrant and was surprised to learn importance of "sitting time" in public schools. E.g. how much time student's butt is pressed against a chair on school premises...

Get vouchers, and put your children into schools that worry about actual student's learning success!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Republicans are the first to cut education funding, financial aid, pell grants, affordable student loan programs etc. I believe they do this in order to keep their base, to put it bluntly, ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree. The right wing machine are no doubt trying to keep their brainwashed sheep as dumb as possible. If they actually thought for themselves or were intelligent, they never would be right wingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You are absolutely, 100% correct. It is also why cutting funding for PBS is in the news presently, they wish to cut anything that educates those who vote Republican, and for good reason.

The sad part is how many cheer enthusiastically to stay dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
My cousin, who lives in another country, pointed this out some time ago to me. I thought it was mental illness that drove some of the populace to vote against themselves, but it does seem to be primitivism and ignorance.
Quote:
I think it's a mix of both with being very ignorant, and having a severe mental illness. How else could you explain how the right wingers act and believe the most ridiculous lies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I might correct that to say that powerful Republicans want stupid rank and file Republicans to think that Satan and Communists have taken over schools, which is actually more despicable, IMO.
Quote:
Now let's take a look at this graph
What graph?

That is either a graphic, or a pie chart......looks like education failed for you.

Oh, look, this is a pie chart, too.

That's last year's data from the OECD.

Which one of you has the guts to take that on?

Education in Europe is uh, you know, um, "FREEEEEEE!"

But not more than 5% have college degrees.

Why is that? It's "FREEEEEE!" right? And the European system is better, because they spend more money on education and education is "FREEEEEE!"

Oddly, in the US, college education is not free, yet 25%+ of the US work-force is college educated.

Education is Europe is "FREEEEE!" but less than 5% have degrees.
Education in America is expensive but more than 25% have degrees.

So, what can we say about Europeans? I think the taxi summed it up best....

Quote:
I believe they do this in order to keep their base, to put it bluntly, ignorant.
Clearly, Europeans are stupid and ignorant, because only 5% go to college, whereas Americans are Big Brains, because 25% go to college.....right? That's what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
My cousin, who lives in another country, pointed this out some time ago to me. I thought it was mental illness...
Quote:
I think it's a mix of both with being very ignorant, and having a severe mental illness.
So, what "mental illness" causes only 5% of the work-force to be college educated when college is "FREEEE!?"

Curiously...

Mircea

Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Republicans are the first to cut education funding, financial aid, pell grants, affordable student loan programs etc. I believe they do this in order to keep their base, to put it bluntly, ignorant.

Republicans love to dangle the American Dream in front of their base's eyes and actually are able to convince them that by giving the CEO of Walmart, he will in return increase wages for all his employees or hire thousands of employees.

In addition, they will use scare tactics knowing 90% of their base have never traveled outside of America by touting if we don't cut education in order to increase military spending, we will see the end of days at our footsteps from Iran.

Education is the best way to bring a person out of poverty. Most of my friends have come from poor families and now work at companies such as PwC, Deloitte, Genetech, Google, Intel, Netflix etc. They are all hard workers, made use of various government programs to afford undergrad and graduate and now are making good money contributing back into the system that helped them get there.

"District of Columbia public schools are among the most elite of all of the D.C.-area schools. The $29,409 per-student educational price tag for D.C. schools is just slightly below two of the area’s most prestigious private schools – Georgetown Prep ($29,625), founded in 1789 as the nation’s oldest Jesuit school, and Sidwell Friends School ($33,000), the “school of choice†for President Obama’s daughters. It’s also almost twice as expensive as Bethesda-based St. John’s College High School ($15,950) and almost three times as expensive as D.C.’s Archbishop Carroll ($10,500). However, judging by the graduation rate of D.C.’s public high schools of only 58.6% for the Class of 2011 (compared to the national average of 75.5% for public schools), District taxpayers might wonder why they’re getting such poor results from such an elite level of spending. For every 100 students who graduated from D.C. high schools in 2011, there were 71 of their freshman classmates who either dropped out or didn’t graduate on time. At one of D.C.’s worst-performing high schools – Cardozo Senior High – fewer than 40% of its students graduated in 2011, which means that for every 100 students who graduated, there were 154 of their freshman classmates who did not graduate."

WTH? Highest spending creates worst schools? at US Action News

The article goes on to say that Obama and the Democrats tried to kill the alternative D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program to curry favor with the teachers unions, by defunding it, but Boehner and Lieberman rescued it.

More:

School Choice Daylin Leach Part 10: DC Vouchers Saved; Progressives Oppose Vouchers for Poorest Kids in Worst Schools- Obama to Leach | The Liberty Blog

If they were ignorant, they'd be on the dole as adults and voting for Obama not Republicans. Your Dem politicians like to keep them dependent on Democrat freebies so they stay in power.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Because Europe doesn't waste their money putting people through college who don't have the skills ability to do college work and would drop out before graduating. Instead those ones are sent to trade schools.

Not everyone can be a brain surgeon or nuclear engineer.
But the US DOE thinks otherwise.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
First of all, how will cutting funding for education only effect the Republican base?

We're only outspent by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg in education spending per student, but are churning out students who rank far, far lower compared to other nations. Our problem is not spending, it's the education system itself. Democrats are deluded in thinking if we throw enough money at education it will fix itself, without addressing the problems that fail to keep students engaged and interested in their education.

Democrats are tied so closely to the teacher's unions who oppose any fundamental (or even minor) changes to the education system, which threatens their power structure. They refuse to admit that our system is no longer working and insist it's because schools are underfunded and teachers are underpaid. How can schools be so underfunded when we spend more per student than dozens of countries whose students surpass American kids?

When we graduate hundreds of thousands of functionally illiterate students every year, it shows how far our education standards have fallen.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Yawn,..and from your own link

"George W. Bush is the most gratuitous big spender to occupy the White House since Jimmy Carter. One could say that he has become the "Mother of All Big Spenders."

Which is correct. W and the GOP spent like maniacs, while at the same time slashing revenues, which is what caused the nation to collapse in the first place. Only an idiot would do that, and those idiots are the GOP.

Now let's take a look at this graph

The right wingers seem to think food stamps and healthcare are far too over-bloated and need huge cuts, but oh no not the military! We need to spend even more on that!

Last I checked the United States Government was put in place for the mutual defense of the states, maybe I missed the part where they are supposed to be paying for the education, food, and healthcare for everybody.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Democrats are deluded in thinking if we throw enough money at education it will fix itself, without addressing the problems that fail to keep students engaged and interested in their education.
And repuglicans are delusional when they think throwing money at national defense will protect America.
This is is a whole new day and age we live in, ain't it?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 AM

80 posts, read 182,066 times
Exactly. In some parts of Europe where I used to live high school students population was reduced to half that of junior high. All based on grades. Higher performing students continued to high school with expectation of going to colleges. The other half went to trade schools. No college expectations of lower performers. Some parents were beside themselves because of it, but had no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because Europe doesn't waste their money putting people through college who don't have the skills ability to do college work and would drop out before graduating. Instead those ones are sent to trade schools.

Not everyone can be a brain surgeon or nuclear engineer.
But the US DOE thinks otherwise.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
First of all, how will cutting funding for education only effect the Republican base?

We're only outspent by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg in education spending per student, but are churning out students who rank far, far lower compared to other nations. Our problem is not spending, it's the education system itself. Democrats are deluded in thinking if we throw enough money at education it will fix itself, without addressing the problems that fail to keep students engaged and interested in their education.

Democrats are tied so closely to the teacher's unions who oppose any fundamental (or even minor) changes to the education system, which threatens their power structure. They refuse to admit that our system is no longer working and insist it's because schools are underfunded and teachers are underpaid. How can schools be so underfunded when we spend more per student than dozens of countries whose students surpass American kids?

When we graduate hundreds of thousands of functionally illiterate students every year, it shows how far our education standards have fallen.
Agreed, funding is not the problem, the problem is that our schools need reformed.

My 6 year old son last year in kindergarten came home and asked why his mom and I were not divorced, why he only knows one gay couple, and spent most of the year telling us exactly what is and is not recyclable. Never once did he talk about the book they read in school, he never brought home anything showing he was learning math.

On the other hand I worked with him on his basic counting and math skills, while his mother worked with him on his writing, reading, and spelling. Of course the whole time he would complain that he did not have to do that in school and so why should he at home? Last I checked I sent my kids to school to get an education in spelling, math, science, and history, not to be indoctrinated into the liberal mindset while ignoring the basics.

Yet people complain that conservatives want their base ignorant, they just want their kids to get an actual real education on the basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies