Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,122,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
That things are better for me than anytime in my life? I'm 50, live in Dallas, and I feel like I have finally reached the stage in my life where I don't go to bed each night with money worries. Rich? Hell no! Comfortable and secure? Yes, I feel so. I've felt this way for maybe the last 3 years. No knock on Mr. Bush at all, but I was downsized twice in his 8 years. So when my Republican buddies ask how things are going they almost want to argue that I can't be doing OK. I make no bones that I plan to vote for Obama. Why shouldn't I? Things are fine for me and I have people say, "Four more years of Obama and you won't be". So why should I vote against him on what to me at this moment is a theory that 4 more years i'll be in ruins?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's nice to hear this from anyone. Since normal = broke I'm used to hearing people complain unprompted about how bad things are for them.

I'm a registered republican and conservative and my husband and I are also doing better than we ever have. I don't give Obama credit for any of it and believe it is in spite of what he's done. I think for the most part the self sufficient money savvy people find a way. I think this will always be the case as long as people aren't over taxed and over regulated into being poor.

I don't know how it happened that most of my friends seem to be more liberal, but they are also always right on the edge financially. Of course they won't see anything worse with Obama president, because they are already at rock bottom. Maybe hope and change sounds better if you are, I don't know. I get the impression they would make themselves broke no matter who was president. Government cannot make people rich, but it can make them poor. Do you know what I mean by that? The liberal side always wants to tax more and regulate more. I think this makes everyone poorer in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,449,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
If you believe that then you can't possible support Romney. He has done nothing but Strip the country of profitable companies and has experience in only that., He is no knowledgeable about growing jobs here ( I'll give you he has been great for growing them in China). If we want $15 / day incomes I suspect he can make us lots of jobs.

Romney prefers the inefficient businesses to handle medicare and Social Security... those companies that added to the problem that wiped out our economy. Clearly your only choice woiuld be Gary Johnson - small gov, fiscal conservative with out the desire to rape and pillage the American economy.

For me, I have done great under President Obama and will support him. He has promoted equal pay for women, healthcare for all and championed against insurance companies for the benefit of the people. He has stood up for the most maligned group (gays and lesbians). Seeking out Bin laden and others in Al Queda has been a great accomplishment. He has passed the Mathew Sheppard Act, Saved the auto industry, saved the American economy, reformed of credit card and bank laws, ( at the least this keeps a bank from charging you multiple over draft fees on a given day), kicked out banks from Federal Student Loans, improved car efficiency standards, ended Iraq, ending Afghanistan, supported fall of Qaddafi, closed dirty power plants, expanded renewable energies, improved Veteran benefits,promoted green energy among federal agencies,next generation testing for schools, advanced education,

The list of his accomplishments is very long though I'm sure reps would never even look at the list. He has done an admirable job, far better than his predecessor. I want a president that will bring benefit to more than the 1%, or himself. .... incidentally cutting taxes on interest and dividends is a benefit for the 1% , not the masses. This would take those paying 14% taxes towards paying ZERO .... I want a President with more than self interests.
I remember in one day when 4 charges I had on my debit card cleared I got charge O.D. fees all 4 times even when I at the time of purchase had the money available. Imagine how much it felt to know all that money just wasted away and it hurt more considering one of the O.D. Fees was for a sandwich that cost me about $5.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,449,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
It's nice to hear this from anyone. Since normal = broke I'm used to hearing people complain unprompted about how bad things are for them.

I'm a registered republican and conservative and my husband and I are also doing better than we ever have. I don't give Obama credit for any of it and believe it is in spite of what he's done. I think for the most part the self sufficient money savvy people find a way. I think this will always be the case as long as people aren't over taxed and over regulated into being poor.

I don't know how it happened that most of my friends seem to be more liberal, but they are also always right on the edge financially. Of course they won't see anything worse with Obama president, because they are already at rock bottom. Maybe hope and change sounds better if you are, I don't know. I get the impression they would make themselves broke no matter who was president. Government cannot make people rich, but it can make them poor. Do you know what I mean by that? The liberal side always wants to tax more and regulate more. I think this makes everyone poorer in the long run.
Over regulation does not make one poor, not at least as long as you follow the regulation, much like with regular laws does not make you a criminal unless you break them. Perhaps we should do what all the republicans want then and no taxes for everyone and no regulations either would this make you happy ? A society with no laws becomes chaos, and a corporation with no regulations becomes a monopoly and then you will be asking for the government to help you out of this mess that you yourself apparently would like to happen. We've been through de-regulation before and look where it led? Obviously people such as yourself forget what happened in the 8 longer years of cheney/bush.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,122,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Over regulation does not make one poor, not at least as long as you follow the regulation, much like with regular laws does not make you a criminal unless you break them. Perhaps we should do what all the republicans want then and no taxes for everyone and no regulations either would this make you happy ? A society with no laws becomes chaos, and a corporation with no regulations becomes a monopoly and then you will be asking for the government to help you out of this mess that you yourself apparently would like to happen. We've been through de-regulation before and look where it led? Obviously people such as yourself forget what happened in the 8 longer years of cheney/bush.
I never said no laws, taxes or regulations. I'm not that extreme. We don't need more regulations and bigger government. It will just make things harder for business owners and strangle the economy. I think the government needs to get out of the way and has been instrumental in causing a lot of the problems we have rather than making things better.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,248,087 times
Quote:
That things are better for me than anytime in my life? I'm 50, live in Dallas, and I feel like I have finally reached the stage in my life where I don't go to bed each night with money worries. Rich? Hell no! Comfortable and secure? Yes, I feel so. I've felt this way for maybe the last 3 years. No knock on Mr. Bush at all, but I was downsized twice in his 8 years. So when my Republican buddies ask how things are going they almost want to argue that I can't be doing OK. I make no bones that I plan to vote for Obama. Why shouldn't I? Things are fine for me and I have people say, "Four more years of Obama and you won't be". So why should I vote against him on what to me at this moment is a theory that 4 more years i'll be in ruins?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So it's all about you, right? What about the Constitution? What about the liberties that have allowed those companies in TEXAS to prosper the way they have?

So you work for a large national corporation and have survived downsizing. Sounds like your company produces something everybody wants and you produce something your company wants. But not all employees of all large nationals are as fortunate as yourself. But again, government is not really about the people, it's about the country. And we all have to live with it.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,986,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I think this view is largely incorrect.

Lets start with, what caused the recession? Which Bush policy exactly caused the recession?

Causes of the 2008

The reality is, none of the Bush policies caused the recession. It is foolish to think otherwise.

The great recession is directly related to monetary policy, which led to higher and higher levels of debt. This debt bubble grew larger and larger as interest rates from the federal reserve continued to fall, which allowed people to continually refinance their homes at lower rates, but for larger base amounts of money. My uncle refinanced his home three different times over the course of about 10 years(and later lost it). The quickly appreciating value of his home because of the housing bubble, let him use his house like it was a endless money machine. Which of course backfired when the collapse hit.

So the reality is, the Federal Reserve caused the recession. Its policy of continually lowering interest rates to eventually near zero is what spurred a debt bubble, which eventually burst. And the Federal reserve is not directly controlled by the president(and thats the way Ben Bernanke wants it to stay).

So what has Obama's prescription been? Exactly the same as Bush's. Both wanted to basically hand the banks more money, and "stimulate" the economy through more spending and more debt.

The only difference is, under Bush the bubble finally burst. Obama is doing his best to re-inflate the bubble, to give the appearance of economic growth.

I mean, had the election been in 2006 instead of 2008, the Republicans would have won in a landslide.

When it comes to the stimulus, there is no doubt that the stimulus over the short-term either created or saved jobs. But the stimulus was simply the federal government borrowing and spending money to create an illusion of economic growth. In much the same way that a company which is losing billions a year could continue to expand hiring as long as it could continually borrow more and more money. It is neither natural or sustainable. So unless the government is ready to continue to hand out money to these industries, eventually they will either fail, or fall to a more natural state.

When you look at our economy over the last few years, you should ask yourself what industry is helping to drive us into better economic standing? Is it technology? Agriculture? Housing? Transportation?

I would argue that the industry that is primarily driving our economy in a positive direction, is energy. There has been a vast expansion of growth in oil and gas over the last few years, through fracking.

The question you have to ask yourself is, had McCain been president, would we have more domestic energy being produced or less? So would our economy be better today under McCain than Obama? Would the economy be better in four years if Obama or Romney is elected?

I fail to see how anyone could argue that Obama is more pro-business or pro-energy than Romney. I fail to see how anyone could demonstrate that Obama will more effectively grow the economy, outside of more government spending and government debt.

The only people who should be voting for Obama, should be voting for him because they believe in his social policies and programs. If you want whats best for the economy, I fail to see how you could possibly support Obama, or the federal reserve for that matter.

I currently have large amounts of money invested in traditional energy companies. I can practically guarantee you that if Romney gets elected, that my stock values will grow 20-50% over the next six months. While stock prices of alternative-energy companies will almost certainly take a huge hit if Romney gets elected.
It was the lack of regulation in the derivative market that was the primary culprit for the recession. This expansion of the derivative market happened during the bush presidency and was not regulated which lead to the great bubble burst.

The mathematical equation that caused the banks to crash | Science | The Observer

Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 PM

1,187 posts, read 998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Governor Perry helps only himself.
And yet, the Tx economy is booming, where almost every other state is not! So HE is doing something right for his state for sure! DESPITE all that Obama has done to hinder it's growth.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM

1,187 posts, read 998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
However, if you keep making more and more laws against things like... I dunno, lets just say, drinking a 24 oz soda, or smoking in the park, then YES the laws do CREATE criminals.

A law was just recently passed that put out over 1400 businesses overnight. It was the Roll Your Own Cigerette machines... this law suddenly labeled roll your own machines the same as a big manufacturer like marlboro. No longer can small smoke shops offer these machines to their customers who want to save money on cigarettes, because they are labeled as a manufacturer and they would have to go through very expensive regulations, that a small business cannot afford to do. So if they DO offer these machines, they are suddenly breaking the law.

Another regulation, about 2 years ago I think, was about to go into affect that would have made anyone making and selling toys to children go out of business because of all the testing for various "toxins" and such in the materials. EVERYONE no matter if it was an individual crafter or a small resaler or a large toy manufacturer were going to have to go through these insane testing process to make sure all materials used were "safe". The crafting community was ENRAGED at the time, because it would have put an end to all homemade toys and childrens clothes. Even the big corporations like Matel were going to be hurt badly by the process! Luckily this regulation was tossed! But it came very close to being implemented.

These are just two examples of how regulations CAN and DO put businesses out of business, completely and has caused people to lose not just their own way of making a living, but their employees as well. Laws create criminals where there wasn't any, and regulations put people out of business all the time!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,259,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
By the same 'logic' presumably you will vote to relect the conservative, religious-right Texas governor, who is anathema to Pres. Obama.

Fail.
Quote:
Umm no.
The answer to this question clearly indicates this is a troll thread.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM

23,824 posts, read 24,210,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
About the "sent from...." - when I send e-mails from my iPhone, they end with "sent from my iPhone." Many of the e-mails I receive end with "sent from my iPhone," "sent from my iPad," "sent from my Blackberry," etc.

I'm sure many of you also send and receive e-mails daily that end with "sent from...".

I'm sure it's the same sort of thing and cecilsav is not simply typing that.
It's the default signature in Tapatalk, a forum app for tablets and smartphones. I use it on my phone and tablet, too, but I turned off that signature (which is actually required per City-Data terms of service) after the first time I posted with it. I don't advertise other businesses for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies