Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times

Advertisements

I'm doing better than I was under Bush, but I can't give credit to Obama or blame Bush. I just have more experience in my field and got a better job in the same company a little over two years ago. I am a software engineer in healthcare IT. I have seen people get laid off under both Obama and Bush. However, I also live in the Dallas area and can relate to the OP.

In general Republicans would rather see doom and gloom than to see the economy and state of this country improve under Obama. They make this obvious anytime we see any positive movement with the stock market or the decline of the unemployment rate. They seem to be disappointed anytime something good happens and see any success under Obama as a loss, even if it means Americans have to suffer. It really is disgusting and counterproductive. I have an Obama yard sign. I am sure many people are rolling their eyes in disgust while driving by or walking their dogs. When you live in a red state, it comes with the territory. My vote won't make a difference here this time, but I'm still voting for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Republicans get angry when they see liberals, gays or people of color succeed. Its because Republicans are either rich elitists who don't want "common people" moving up or are jealous of successful people when they live in a trailer park and eat baloney sandwiches and live on welfare. That type prefers to scapegoat minorities and celebrities.

So true - when people of color succeed, afirmative action always comes into the conversation because they can't accept a person of color doing better than them and feel the need to make excuses because they would like to think that they are superior. When liberals succeed, it bothers them because it disproves their belief (if you can call it that) that liberals want handouts and as far as gays go, well they're just homophobic and hateful.

When they get their way and feel the wrath of voting against their own interests some of them will see things differently. This cycle repeats itself. They forget about what happens when Republicans are in and vote for them, after two terms of this a Democrat wins again and then somehow they get brainwashed again and start thinking that someone is trying to take away their guns, religion, freedom and give all of the handouts to minorities while taking from the hardworking, Christian Whites. This is the American way.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
The way liberals jump on and defend an obviously fictional scenario is hilarious.

A Democrat friend of mine asked me " How is it you are worse off than you were 4 years ago. Has not Obama provided everyone with better lives?" I answered "Well I was only 50 four years ago."

Another fictional conversation with a Democrat friend went something like this.

Democrat friend: How is it you claim to be worse off than four years ago? Has not Obama delivered universal wealth, health and happiness?

Me: My dog just died.

Sent from my computer using my fingers with my two surviving dogs laying at my feet.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
That things are better for me than anytime in my life? I'm 50, live in Dallas, and I feel like I have finally reached the stage in my life where I don't go to bed each night with money worries. Rich? Hell no! Comfortable and secure? Yes, I feel so. I've felt this way for maybe the last 3 years. No knock on Mr. Bush at all, but I was downsized twice in his 8 years. So when my Republican buddies ask how things are going they almost want to argue that I can't be doing OK. I make no bones that I plan to vote for Obama. Why shouldn't I? Things are fine for me and I have people say, "Four more years of Obama and you won't be". So why should I vote against him on what to me at this moment is a theory that 4 more years i'll be in ruins?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are things better because of things YOU did, or Obama? If its due to your accomplishments, then voting Obam would be stupid.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
That things are better for me than anytime in my life? I'm 50, live in Dallas, and I feel like I have finally reached the stage in my life where I don't go to bed each night with money worries. Rich? Hell no! Comfortable and secure? Yes, I feel so. I've felt this way for maybe the last 3 years. No knock on Mr. Bush at all, but I was downsized twice in his 8 years. So when my Republican buddies ask how things are going they almost want to argue that I can't be doing OK. I make no bones that I plan to vote for Obama. Why shouldn't I? Things are fine for me and I have people say, "Four more years of Obama and you won't be". So why should I vote against him on what to me at this moment is a theory that 4 more years i'll be in ruins?

Why would you worry about what your friends think? It is your life, your choice and none of their concern. It sounds like they just want to argue politics and I personally refuse to argue politics of religion with anyone. What is right for you may not be right for me and I'm good with that.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would you worry about what your friends think?
Especially fictional friends.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:

Actualy studies show most folks your age feel that way and it has nothing to do with the economy.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I don't think they are frowning at your doing well.
Lots of people are (of both parties).
They are just frowning at your Obama vote.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
Im doing fine also.
the turning point was the 2010 elections, when the republicans regained control it was like a light switch was flipped on. Things in the Engineering business picked up overnight.

its also very apparent to anyone with a 3rd grade reading ability our country as a whole is MUCH worse off now than 4 years ago.

Quote:

Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Republicans get angry when they see liberals, gays or people of color succeed. Its because Republicans are either rich elitists who don't want "common people" moving up or are jealous of successful people when they live in a trailer park and eat baloney sandwiches and live on welfare. That type prefers to scapegoat minorities and celebrities.
Celebrities???

Yeah, Republicans are all rich elitists. How can we all be rich elitists if libs tell us we're not smarter than they are.

We want everyone to succeed. We just don't think giving people stuff is the way to make them successful. We think they need a job.

So how has the last 4 years made poor people successful? The unemployment rate for blacks is 13.4 percent. The unemployment rate for Hispanics is 9.9 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies