Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,974,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If I kill my neighbor with a chain saw, I'm willing to bet they'd think I'm committng an act of terror, but that does NOT make me a terrorist.
Especially if you did it for political or religious reasons, it absolutely DOES make you a terrorist. The initial wrongly assumed motivation for the Benghazi attack was religious in reference to the video. The investigation to date has determined that it is religious/political in reference to things other than the video. An act of terror, especially when it's clearly done for a religious or political reason, DOES make the individual a terrorist.

And again, despite all that, Romney lied when he said Obama took 14 days to call it an act of terror, and Candy Crowly correctly fact-checked him. But Republicans doubled-down on Romney's lie with a lie of their own- that at that portion of Obama's Rose Garden speech he was NOT talking about Benghazi. He was. The transcripts prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Why did he send out Susan Rice then to say it was a spontaneous protest in response to a video after Sept 13?

Why did Biden say that they didn't know otherwise and weren't told anything?

Shouldn't there have been a stop to all the misleading information right away?
Right - ESPECIALLY since it has now come to light that the administration was watching a live feed of the events as they unfolded - and therefore they KNEW there were no "protests" taking place when the attack occurred.

Imagine this scenario:

I have security cameras in my house that I can pull up on my cell phone when I'm away.

Imagine that I see my teenage son walk into my house with a load of beer, and then the doorbell rings and he lets in six of his friends and they sit down and begin drinking that beer. Then I watch them as they set up a meth lab in my kitchen and start producing meth - and then the police show up and I watch as they arrest them.

Then when I go to the police station, I tell the police "Today an illegal act occurred in my house, which I won't tolerate. I will not tolerate people I don't know coming into my house spontaneously and doing illegal things."

Later I say, "Some of my son's friends showed up without his prior knowledge, and to his great surprise they set up a meth lab in my kitchen! That's all I know at this point! And you know what - our society has caused them to be drug addicts - it's a shame we have such a society."

That is NOT the same honest response as, "Yep, I saw my son and his friends set up a meth lab in my kitchen, and I am not going to tolerate illegal drugs in my house, PERIOD. Throw the book at all of them."

Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
LOL, reading all these comments here I'll have to agree with the Libyan suspect, who said US politicians are playing with the emotions of the Americans in order to score votes in the elections. It is true, and it is very obviuous.

It's a sad thread.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Even if people want to make the bogus assertion that a terrorist attacking and killing people can't be called an act of terror, Candy Crowley is STILL correct about what she said, and Mitt Romney DEAD WRONG about what he said. Here's the actual transcript:

ROMNEY: I want to make sure we get that for the record because it took the president 14 days before he called the attack in Benghazi an act of terror.
OBAMA: Get the transcript.
CROWLEY: It -- it -- it -- he did in fact, sir. So let me -- let me call it an act of terror...

Romney was dead wrong. It did NOT take Obama 14 days before he called the attack an act of terror. That's why Obama said get the transcript, and that's why Candy said Obama did in fact call it an act of terror. At the end of the day, Romney was dead wrong, Obama was right, and Candy Crowley was right. Obama called it an act of terror the very NEXT day, it did not take him 14 days to call it an act of terror.

Republicans, trying to double down on the Romney lie, came in and said Obama was talking about 9/11, not about the Benghazi attacks. This despite the fact that, as I already proved by citing the transcript, AFTER he mentioned 9/11, he THEN said "Last night we learned about the attack in Benghazi" and proceeded to talk on THAT topic (Benghazi) and in that context used the phrase "acts of terror." So Republican's bogus claim that Obama wasn't referring to Benghazi because at that point in the speech he was only talking about 9/11 andnot Benghazi is ALSO A LIE. Romney's Republican backers were trying to double down on Romney's lie in the debate with a lie of their own. Shameful! Obama was correct, Romney lied, his Republican backers lied, and Candy Crowley correctly fact-checked Romney.
You're right - it wasn't two weeks before Obama called it an act of terrorism - it was ten days. BIG difference...

Not.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It is complicated for them, because they have a habit of taking a phrase out of a paragraph at the bottom, and pretending that it refers to something said in a paragraph at the top. They have no concept of context.
The "act of terror" phrase was SURROUNDED by sentences about Benghazi. Immediately before the phrase AND immediately after the phrase:

And then last night, we learned the news of this attack in Benghazi.
As Americans, let us never, ever forget that our freedom is only sustained because there are people who are willing to fight for it, to stand up for it, and in some cases, lay down their lives for it. Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe.
No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.

The Benghazi subject SURROUNDS the acts of terror phrase. This isn't a phrase by itself somewhere at the end that is trying to be tied to Benghazi comments by themselves at the beginning. This is prhase embedded in the discussion and description of the Benghazi subject matter. The transcript proves it, proves the context. Republicans simply want to IGNORE all the Benghazi rhetoric I just bolded there so they can push their lie that in the part of the speech where Obama gave the phrase that he wasn't talking about Benghazi at all, only about 9/11- all so they can double down on Romney's lie that it took Obama 14 days to call it an act of terror.

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're right - it wasn't two weeks before Obama called it an act of terrorism - it was ten days. BIG difference...

Not.
More like 10 hours...

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Especially if you did it for political or religious reasons, it absolutely DOES make you a terrorist. The initial wrongly assumed motivation for the Benghazi attack was religious in reference to the video. The investigation to date has determined that it is religious/political in reference to things other than the video. An act of terror, especially when it's clearly done for a religious or political reason, DOES make the individual a terrorist.

And again, despite all that, Romney lied when he said Obama took 14 days to call it an act of terror, and Candy Crowly correctly fact-checked him. But Republicans doubled-down on Romney's lie with a lie of their own- that at that portion of Obama's Rose Garden speech he was NOT talking about Benghazi. He was. The transcripts prove it.
Wow, you're jumping throgh all sorts of stupid today.

An act of terror
intense fear or anxiety

terrorism
violence or threats of violence used for intimidation or coercion

I know they both share the same letters, but they are NOT the same words. One very well can have an act of terro, and not be a terrorist..

Remind me again why Biden said last week "we didnt know", and why Obama blamed a video at the UN?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Not.
Obama called it an act of terror the next day. Romney lied and said it took Obama 14 days to call it an act of terror. It wasn't 14 days and it wasn't 10 days before Obama called it an act of terror. It was the VERY NEXT day.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
More like 10 hours...
You mean he shot from the hip and talked without having all of the facts and details?

Funny how this administration always does what they accuse others of doing..

Old 10-19-2012, 06:51 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Rose Garden might become as infamous as Watergate and Whitewater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies