Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

[quote=softblueyz;28057408]WRONG.

The pictures of him from prior to this incident show a rather beefy guy. You can go look them up yourself.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Granted he had no convictions
Then why do you keep saying he's a felon if you know it's not true?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Granted he had no convictions, made possible by his father, a judge. It's public knowledge so you would know what those arrests were for. He wasn't arrested for jay-walking or spitting on the street. Daddy buried his arrests. Had he been anyone else with no connections, he would have been CONVICTED for his assault on a police officer which would have be classified as a felony, not a misdemeanor. I'm sure that if he was convicted on that one charge it would have prevented him from obtaining a firearm, but his father stepped in and prevented it to go any further than an arrest record, which the father buried. I believe what the father did is referred to as obstruction of justice?

Knowing what is now known about his arrests, do you really think he should have been in possession of a firearm? I think this is a valid question and goes to his state of mind.
The arrests aren't buried though. I found them, but there is nothing to indicate any convictions. It is entirely possible his father had connections to make the cases go away. It is also possible that there was never any evidence of guilt. I don't know and can't really speculate on the details of the cases.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The law REQUIRES us to assume innocent until proven guilty. I don't know anything abut this case outside of the media, but this isn't France - we cannot assume guilt.

Prove it, I'm looking for his conviction record at the moment and can't find it. There is an arrest record though.
Oh, lord. Yes, innocent in theory until proven guilty by man. How many innocent people were tried and went to jail for crimes they didn't commit? How many people were tried and walked away from a crime they committed?

Does the law also REQUIRE that we should assume that GZ is telling the truth?

There would be no conviction record because obviously his father, who was a JUDGE, interferred with the process (obstruction of justice) and it never went to trial. I guarantee you that people who assault a police officer don't get their charges dropped without a trial unless they have someone with influence - like a judge!!!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
His Dad is a Circuit Judge in Florida.
Bunk.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The arrests aren't buried though. I found them, but there is nothing to indicate any convictions. It is entirely possible his father had connections to make the cases go away. It is also possible that there was never any evidence of guilt. I don't know and can't really speculate on the details of the cases.
Would the charges brought against him by a police officer for assault on said police officer be enough for it to go to trial? I certainly would think so.

His father was a retired JUDGE!!!! I think a judge trumps a police officer, even a retired judge with connections.

As to conviction - read my other posts.

Last edited by softblueyz; 02-02-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He is not a felon, he was never convicted therefore he isn't a felon. The level of stupidity of the Trayvon worshipers in here is sickening.
Because someone doesn't believe GZ is a boy scout is a TM worshipper?? Because someone questions GZ's mental and emotional stability is a worshipper? And the best one...........because someone is black they are a TM worshipper!!! How does that work?

You want to discount his past behavior because it suits your argument. Felon or not - he had friggin issues where anger management wasconcerned.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Oh, lord. Yes, innocent in theory until proven guilty by man. How many innocent people were tried and went to jail for crimes they didn't commit? How many people were tried and walked away from a crime they committed?

Does the law also REQUIRE that we should assume that GZ is telling the truth?

There would be no conviction record because obviously his father, who was a JUDGE, interferred with the process (obstruction of justice) and it never went to trial. I guarantee you that people who assault a police officer don't get their charges dropped without a trial unless they have someone with influence - like a judge!!!
The law doesn't require us to assume he is telling the truth, but it does require the state to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Until that threshold is crossed we assume innocence.

Where is the proof that his father interfered with the judicial process? You are speculating on the reason there is no conviction based on circumstantial evidence. It looks fishy, but unless you have proof you are pontificating what you think happened.

My brother actually was charged with assault on a police officer when he was 15 and had the charges dropped without going to trial. How? His lawyer told the officer that we had video of the parking lot where the incident occurred - charges were dropped the very next day. To this day I have no idea what happened in that parking lot, but I do know that no video existed.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Then why do you keep saying he's a felon if you know it's not true?
OK, he's not a felon. Feel better now? He was just someone who was arrested for assaulting a police officer, had an order of protection taken out against him for domestic violence, and was never tried and convicted. No trial against him because of the strong possibility that his father, a retired magistrate judge had connections, reached out, and had the charges dismissed. Had that not been achieved he probably would have faced assault charges against a police officer and went to trial and more than likely faced a conviction. Hence, not a felon. He's just a boy scout who is mentally and emotionally challenged and had anger issues.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Because someone doesn't believe GZ is a boy scout is a TM worshipper?? Because someone questions GZ's mental and emotional stability is a worshipper? And the best one...........because someone is black they are a TM worshipper!!! How does that work?

You want to discount his past behavior because it suits your argument. Felon or not - he had friggin issues where anger management wasconcerned.
I'm pretty sure there are people with anger issues, and it doesn't appear to be Zimmerman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.