Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Proof please. Include military and related subsidies pumped into the state, please.
Uh, New York has a border with Canada. We don't have military expenses. We did, however, build a toll highway that we paid for ourselves that we are still paying for and then we also paid for the Eisenhower Interstate System in ever other state that did not take the initiative to build its own highways like we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Uh, New York has a border with Canada. We don't have military expenses. We did, however, build a toll highway that we paid for ourselves that we are still paying for and then we also paid for the Eisenhower Interstate System in ever other state that did not take the initiative to build its own highways like we did.
Uh, thats not what he meant. The stats quoted about red state/blue state are based on a per capita basis. The large states have more taxpayers to spread transfer payments across. If one looks at where the government spends money, the military is a large part of total spending. The other piece is Social Security and Medicare. On a per capita basis, individual transfer payments like SS are zero sum game. The average per taxpayer is about the same across all the states, so CA costs the same per capita as Wyoming.

The rest of the programs are not necessarily unit based, but program based. The military, for example, is spread across the country. CA has a large presence. Texas has a large presence. The state usually at the top of the list is New Mexico. It has a population of maybe 2 million. It also has three major Air Force bases as well as two national laboratories. Those expenditures are spread across a small population. On a per capita basis, they "benefit" more than say their neighbors in Texas who have millions more residents. Individually the residents of NM don't benefit more - the military protects everyone. They choose NM, Nevada, or even Andrews AFB because there are wide open skies.

What this shows clearly is anyone who quotes the "red states get more taxes than the blue states" is a complete moron and a partisan hack incapable of understanding basic math and cost accounting.

Put another way, CA actually receives more in total federal dollars than NM or TX or any red state - even Texas. We also have 40 million people to spread the dollars across on a per capita basis. In absolute dollars, New York is a huge benefactor of federal dollars, also. You also have millions of citizens.

There are lies, dman lies, and statistics....

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,823,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
We don't have military expenses.
You've never heard of West Point? New York has many installations. Here are a few bases: Military Bases in New York - US Military Bases

There are also VA hospitals, and more. Then, the military gives enormous subsidies for research.

I can't find the source, but the last time I checked, New York is a top ten recipient of military funds.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Exactly. You people in red states want to talk about US having nerve asking for money back? GTFO. I have an idea, we won't send money to your red state this year, so we can clean up after ourselves
That's OK... we'll keep our Oil & Gas. You can stand in line a few extra hours and walk to work.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
You've never heard of West Point? New York has many installations. Here are a few bases: Military Bases in New York - US Military Bases

There are also VA hospitals, and more. Then, the military gives enormous subsidies for research.

I can't find the source, but the last time I checked, New York is a top ten recipient of military funds.
Of course they benefit - they just have millions of people. On a per capita basis it's a smaller number than Wyoming (population: 12), a red state.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,823,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Of course they benefit - they just have millions of people. On a per capita basis it's a smaller number than Wyoming (population: 12), a red state.
Relax. My burden of proof was low. I met it.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default Find a historic example

New Orleans suffered flooding and storm damage as did NY/NJ. So what happened there years after the event? Not much. According the articles I surveyed, federal and state aid is blocked by conflicting jurisdictions, rules, and regulations.

Before rebuilding can begin, an urban plan must be agreed upon, budgets proposed, approved, etc. Then the devastated infrastructure must be repaired or replaced. Every pipe, drain, utility service in the ground and on and on. What actually constitutes a flood plain will have to be determined. Some sea side home owners have lots that are now in the ocean.

What I am saying, governments will pledge billions but spend nothing just like in New Orleans because that's what happen there. That's a photo of Six Flags in New Orleans, 2012.
Attached Thumbnails
Should You and I Pay for 100% of Sandy Cleanup-6flags2012.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies