Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
As others mentioned, this would be a reason not to support this type of store, regardless. It's poor business practice to 'profit' off of the backs of your hard-working employees.
Companies have 2 main objectives to increase profits and cut expenses. They are not in bussiness to make sure you have health insurance, if you understand that why would you boycot them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
They've ALL always limited employee hours and keep people as part time staff for as long as I can remember. This is not anything new.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Companies have 2 main objectives to increase profits and cut expenses. They are not in bussiness to make sure you have health insurance, if you understand that why would you boycot them?
Actually you are wrong. Companies can make profits while taking care of their employees. It is up to the company on how much upper management makes vs the rank and file. There does exist companies that do not put excessive profits before their employees. They may be in the minority but they do exist and they can thrive.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
This is why we need to separate health insurance from employment. It makes no sense having the two joined together.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,965 times
Quote:
Krogers reported a net income of $279 million last quarter.

They are intentionally skirting the provision of affordable healthcare to their workers because they know it's a demographic they can take advantage of; Starbucks, Whole Foods, Lowe's, Barnes and Noble, etc. all provide health insurance to their part-time employees and still boast record-breaking profits.

If they do not have the decency to provide their low-wage workers with affordable healthcare considering they are heavily reliant on service workers, I have no interest in supporting their business.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Just implement a single payer system and get it over with.
Sorry, we got what "the people" wanted..Obamacare.
And we still have a year to go before it kicks in.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I worked at Krogers 20 years ago. I wasn't allowed to have more than 24 hours for some reason, and I always had the highest I.P.M.'s (items per minute), so, from a meritocracy perspective, I definitely deserved more. But then very few of the people that I worked with came anywhere close to full-time employees.
Union rules allow employees with seniority to claim hours.

I'm senior to you, I got 34 hours on the schedule, so I take 4 of your hours and then 2 hour from someone else so I can get 40 hours. Seniors used to claim my hours until I got enough seniority to claim hours from other people when I worked at Krogers.

Aren't unions wonderful?

Unions suck...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
So let me get this right. An Operative(spy) named "Faith" is quoted on a blog," Directorblue"; as having supplied the documentation you posted here???

Please humor me, tell me that this is correct so far..
No, they've been talking about it for a while now, even before Darden went public. I've advised several employers to do the same --- cut hours. All of the hotels in town are cutting hours below 30, as are many private restaurants and other retail outlets. The pizza chains here, LaBullBoxer31 (regional chain), Papa John's, Dominoes, Donato's etc are all cutting hours.

When you all grow up and start living in the real world, you'll realize that there is no such thing as "free." Everything costs. Everything, as in every thing.

The Laws of Economics are just like the Laws of Physics -- they cannot be violated --- ever -- not by anyone -- without suffering negative consequences.

Obamacare will actually drive up the cost of health care, not contain it, and not reduce it. And you're going to pay for that one way or another.

You understand that margin on grocery is virtually non-existent, right? I mean we're talking a profit margin of 5% to 20%.

"Grocers" like Krogers, Meijers, Wal-Mart, Publix, Albertsons etc make their money on non-food items like soap and shampoo and household cleaning products and such.

Years ago, thanks to a French company that did business here in the US as Biggs Hypermarkets (now defunct -- bought out by Remke) you had a change in the business model. Biggs sold food, plus clothes and furniture and auto parts and anything you could think of. Wal-Mart adopted that model and expanded on it, and since then all grocers have had to shift to what basically amounts to K-Marts with Safeways plus Walgreens and 5/3rd Banks.

Krogers has to do what everyone else does to survive, and if everyone else is cutting employee hours to avoid the idiotic Obamacare mandate, then that's the way it has to be.

Modeling....

Mircea

Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Krogers reported a net income of $279 million last quarter.

They are intentionally skirting the provision of affordable healthcare to their workers because they know it's a demographic they can take advantage of; Starbucks, Whole Foods, Lowe's, Barnes and Noble, etc. all provide health insurance to their part-time employees and still boast record-breaking profits.

If they do not have the decency to provide their low-wage workers with affordable healthcare considering they are heavily reliant on service workers, I have no interest in supporting their business.
I can't wait 'til all you 0care lovers starve and have nothing to wear because you're busy boycotting companies that refuse to be blackmailed by that idiot in the white house.

I can't wait!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Krogers still exists? I thought that grocery chain went under all ready.
In a lot of areas they are the only real alternative to Wal-Mart. Kroger isn't the best grocery chain but it beats Wal-Mart by a long shot. This should be expected though. The grocery store business is a thin profit-margin business and Obamacare is going to hurt them the most.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
They've ALL always limited employee hours and keep people as part time staff for as long as I can remember. This is not anything new.
What is new is the part of Obamacare that says full time starts at 30 hours and mandates insurance coverage and the IRS will go back 1 year to check. This is the start of that "year".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies