Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But this isnt to discuss the company you work for, this is to discuss Krogers, who used to have a bunch of full time employees, now being FORCED to reduce them because of Obama.
I doubt that many of them were ever considered "full-time" employees. Supermarkets have very few full-time employees, generally only the managers and section heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Costco does rather well paying their employees $19 an hour. Unlike Walmart/Sam`s Club their employees don`t steal from them and they don`t have to keep training new employees.
Good benefits too.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Newsflash: Wal-Mart's purpose of existance is to make their shareholder's wealthier. Something they cannot do by paying more than the market demands.
So - corporations are people, right up to the point where there's a call for them to show people-like characteristics like responsibility, citizenship and perhaps even basic decency?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Obamacare is the least of Kroger's problems. The cleanliness of the stores has IMO been declining for years, selection is mediocre at best, deli stinks, meat quality stinks.

If I want price like staple goods, I'll got to Wal Mart. If I want quality, the Publix next to the Kroger here gets my money.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Obamacare is the least of Kroger's problems. The cleanliness of the stores has IMO been declining for years, selection is mediocre at best, deli stinks, meat quality stinks.

If I want price like staple goods, I'll got to Wal Mart. If I want quality, the Publix next to the Kroger here gets my money.
Around here (DFW) they're hit or miss. Some Kroger's have been remodeled and are beautiful with some of the best selections in the area. Others have been left to rot.

Around here we have Kroger's, Tom Thumb (owned by Safeway), Albertson's (not too many of those), Fiesta, Wal-Mart, and Super Target. There are some Market Streets and Brookshire's in the suburbs, but that's pretty much it. We also have Whole Foods and HEB Central Market but that's at the premium end. Sprouts and Natural Grocers fill in the organic/gluten-free/hippie niche.

I do most of my shopping at Super Target and Kroger's these days. Kroger's is less expensive than Tom Thumb and there's not an Alberton's or Super Wal-Mart all that close by.

If you think Kroger's is expensive, stroll around a Tom Thumb sometime. Whew. They sure are proud of their merchandise!

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Newsflash: Wal-Mart's purpose of existance is to make their shareholder's wealthier. Something they cannot do by paying more than the market demands.
But then again, there's a lot of publicly traded companies that provide basic healthcare and are still able to provide returns to their shareholders.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Offering health insurance and the number of part-time employees who actually meet the hourly threshold to sustain it are two different things. I'm not surprised that you don't understand this considering you think that $150 Million in profits for a grocery chain with ~1,550 stores in the United States is worth mentioning.
You mentioned earlier that Kroger's $279 million in profit was peanuts, and, a justification for their inability to provide health insurance benefits for their part-time employees. I provided the Safeway figure to demonstrate to you that a company making over $100 million less per year in comparison to Kroger, has still figured out to provide their employees with healthcare benefits as part of their compensation plan.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Good reason NOT to shop Kroegers.
Liberals will eventually run out of places to boycott.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Analysts have provided the 51% , and it is far more up to date than 2005 data.
I know, I found a few other pieces of information online after I posted. I also compared the number of employees per company via a quick Google search.

CostCo has 196,000 full and part-time employees, and, 96% receive healthcare benefits.

Target has 355,000 full and part-time employees, and 44% receive healthcare benefits.

To provide perspective, Walmart has 2,000,000 full and part-time employees, and, as you mentioned, 51% receive healthcare benefits.

That's somewhat of a disparity--980K Walmart low-wage employees do not receive benefits, and, those are most likely the families that are receiving government subsidized insurance, as well as are reliant on foodstamps.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Companies have 2 main objectives to increase profits and cut expenses. They are not in bussiness to make sure you have health insurance, if you understand that why would you boycot them?

Businesses have forgotton what is their most prized asset.............their labor force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies