Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,081 times

Advertisements

I want to know what's in my child's food, call me a Communist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
It will eventually be adopted by other states and other things have; these things usually start with one state (usually CA)

CA is my state. We don't seek to punish ourselves. We care about our health, and the future of the food supply.

It's a little more ink on the existing label. There's already a bunch; maybe you just don't recognize them:

No wheat
No Gluten (for celiac sufferers)
No artificial colors
V = vegan

and other symbols for non-irradiated, etc see Symbols On Food Labels - a comprehensive view - Wellsphere
Mostly health-and-safety related. GM doesn't have that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
If there is nothing wrong with GMO's why don't you want people to know foods contain them?? Propostion 37 doesn't ban GMO's, all it does is require labeling. Even my wool coat tells me the contents of my coat
I presumed this was about food.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
I don't have a problem with informing the consumers on what they are buying. Banning the foods and products? No, but labels? Why not?

I'm also in favor of selling eradiated foods, with labels.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,460 times
Quote:
Dear Lost,
You're, um..... mistaken
I don't think you've educated yourself either (there IS evidence - dead rats, etc)
I don't think you're a liberal, either
Well, you've certainly assumed a lot about me based on one post. Feel free to browse any of my other posts... I think it's pretty clear I'm a liberal. I simply don't agree with you on this one thing... is that ok?

I like science, I trust it... and the truth is, there is very limited data out there on the effects of GMO foods.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Default Only in the U.S.

Koch Bros don't want no government regulations to get in the way of their profits. The have spent serious $tens of millions fighting prop 37 and funding anti Obama/pro Romney ads. Same guys who made it clear to their employees that heads will roll if Obama is reelected.

My gawd, even Russia, China and India, require labeling of their food products in addition to
do in over 40 other nations throughout Europe and Australia.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
then wait till the Federal Govt mandates it. It doesn't belong as an issue to states. It'll raise food costs to those who live in the state, because manufactureres need to make "special" labels for food to be sold there.
Probably not true. They'll no doubt do what they do right now and have lawyers draft one label which complies with it all.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't have a problem with informing the consumers on what they are buying. Banning the foods and products? No, but labels? Why not?

I'm also in favor of selling eradiated foods, with labels.
It's a murky place to start, honestly.

Let us not forget we've been genetically altering food for ten thousand years. Only in the past twenty or so have we gotten down--literally--to a science.

I can honestly get behind the "label it" message and meaning. It's well intending, the problem is a lot of people and groups out there are vehemently anti genetic-engineering. And the labeling movement, unfortunately, is part of that. I can't morally support labeling as long as it's conflated with the anti-GM movement.

Monsanto are evil bastards, and I'm sure a percentage is against GM foods because of how Monsanto operates. We undoubtedly have to have a series political and economic discussion about what can and can't be done with GM foods.

But using Monsanto as the reason to so aggressively attack GM foods is absurd. To bring up my former analogy, it'd be akin to saying we shouldn't have electricity because of the Electric Chair, or perhaps because of Standard Oil.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Koch Bros don't want no government regulations to get in the way of their profits. The have spent serious $tens of millions fighting prop 37 and funding anti Obama/pro Romney ads. Same guys who made it clear to their employees that heads will roll if Obama is reelected.

My gawd, even Russia, China and India, require labeling of their food products in addition to
do in over 40 other nations throughout Europe and Australia.
Most of Europe, which has regulations on GM food crops, doesn't have 50% of the population too idiotic to actually understand things change over time. We have a serious science education deficiency in this country.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
It's a murky place to start, honestly.

Let us not forget we've been genetically altering food for ten thousand years. Only in the past twenty or so have we gotten down--literally--to a science.

I can honestly get behind the "label it" message and meaning. It's well intending, the problem is a lot of people and groups out there are vehemently anti genetic-engineering. And the labeling movement, unfortunately, is part of that. I can't morally support labeling as long as it's conflated with the anti-GM movement.

Monsanto are evil bastards, and I'm sure a percentage is against GM foods because of how Monsanto operates. We undoubtedly have to have a series political and economic discussion about what can and can't be done with GM foods.

But using Monsanto as the reason to so aggressively attack GM foods is absurd. To bring up my former analogy, it'd be akin to saying we shouldn't have electricity because of the Electric Chair, or perhaps because of Standard Oil.
We have genetically modified food for centuries and millenia through natural genetic engineering. Cross polination, etc.

The genetically modified foods this is talking about is gene splicing, making corn safe for round up for instance.

Telling people what they are buying, to me, doesn't seem so evil. We aren't banning your sales, why not tell people whats in it? I agree, some people will decide not to buy genetically modified food, but the consumer will make the call with dollars, not with a veil over their eyes.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,562 times
Quote:
I've waited 17 years for some action against GE food. This is the least we sould be doing.

Yes on Prop 37

The people shouldn't have to be held responsible for KNOWing all the underhanded, dangerous things they need to avoid. Besides the bio-tech companies go to great lengths to hide their activities.

We told them we didn't want GMO's. They had 17 years to create labling their way, before we demanded it (after 17 years)

We waited 17 years to get labeling; let's not pass up the opportunity.

"37 - fraught with problems" That's not our problem. When at first you practice to deceive...." They shouldn't have EVER started genetically altering OUR food, and they could've predicted the public wouldn't want it(actually, there were polls taken).

They knew; but money blinded them. Now their spending $40 million of the billions they have, into ads against labeling, and to bribe newspapers into writing anti-labeling op/eds.

Bio-manipulation causes MORE problems, and it's unethical and illegal to do it against the public's will(The US was 80% against this when it started in 1995).
I"ll be voting yes tomorrow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies